Thread: NY Post: Ryan worth his weight in gold

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

NY Post: Ryan worth his weight in gold

Not that I need another reason to like this guy but.....

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/news/l...6LCWRfP7Rl5q2I

Ryan worth his weight in gold
    By LENN ROBBINS and JEREMY OLSHAN

Last Updated: 3:13 PM, January 19, 2010

Posted: 2:49 AM, January 19, 2010

Fat is the new win.

Jet coach Rex Ryan, who hates losing weight almost as much as he hates losing football games, started the season determined to shed many of his 350 pounds.

The diet, like the Jets' early good fortune, did not last long.

But with his team on the cusp of the Super Bowl, Ryan seems to have found the recipe for success, and he's eating a lot of it.

Although he once feared his 7,000 calories a day were holding him back from earning a head-coaching job, he is now going with his gut.

The coach celebrated Sunday's triumph over the San Diego Chargers by scarfing down a cheesesteak and a beer on the charter flight back home. He was then offered a choice of barbecue chicken, flank steak or a Cobb salad.

"I have never heard him order a Cobb salad," a source told The Post. "And I don't think you would be slandering him to say he is a beer guy."

After most games, Ryan, 47, and his wife, Michelle, eat heartily at a diner in New Jersey.

The coach's favorite cuisine is Mexican -- his assistants call it "Rexican" -- and Ryan dined Friday night in San Diego at Café Coyote, whose menu features the adjective "large" before many of its south-of-the-border offerings.

During training camp last July, Ryan said that moving to Jersey had led him to pack on a few dozen extra pounds, noting, "There are so many Italian restaurants."

Ryan has taken his share of ribbing about his girth.

While dieting a few years ago, an assistant spied Ryan toting a pizza to his hotel room. When confronted, Ryan claimed it was for his son Seth.

But the next day, when the assistant asked Seth about the pie, the boy replied, "What pizza?"

"He's having a hard time living that story down," one coach laughed.

The big fella has gone on several weight-loss programs to raise money for his children's teams, but admits the pounds always return.

"There's not too many fat guys that are coaches," he said in 2007. "But I don't see how your weight can make you a better coach.

"But I guess if you're the face of the franchise, then that is important as well."

Going into Sunday's game, let's hope the Indianapolis Colts are the biggest losers.

jeremy.olshan@nypost.com

im sure rex will look to shed some weight during the offseason. There is no reason for him to be worrying about that now. He will worry about it after February 7th

JetsInsider.com Legend
    That's a lot of gold

All Pro
    Hope he can find a way to lose some pounds. Needs to join that show Biggest Loser or whatever it is.

Find it funny that there is a "source" stating whether or not he got a cobb salad.

All Pro
    I love Rex with extra mancrust

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Uh, cobb salad is not going to help you lose weight anyways

Hall Of Fame
    it would be good for the big guy to lose a few. However if it is with ridiculous protein shakes or fasting baloney he is wasting his time.

Find a program that works (there is really only one), stick with it and lose it slowly. We want you around here for a LONG LONG TIME big guy and wish you well

Veteran
    Rex now:

Rex at Training Camp '10?

All Pro
    Lol, good story

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Fat is where it's At

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Fat is where it's At

Hahaha, now that's funny.

I'm sure there are plenty of happy couples, people and chubby chasers that are fine with being overweight & U know what, I agree 110%. So long as the man is basically healthy, why change a thing?

I want Rex to be around a long time and i worry about his weight but i have to say his size to me is part of his whole personna and i love it!

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Hey, Weeb...Walt and Parcells were all on the portly side. Every coach we've had success with had been a bit chunky.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    HEY! I just saw a fluff piece on the CBS news talking about Rex Ryan and his weight! Reporter Hazel Sanchez (an 85 pound adult) at a restaurant showing what 7,000 calories looks like & then talking 2 a nutritionist about how unhealthy, blah, blah, blah. The reporter said that Rex Ryan said he yo-yos & tries to diet but most don't work.

HEY CBS! Shut the eff up & leave the man alone! He's in the middle of trying to win a SuperBowl & U want him to start eating salads? How about NO! How about he looks great & is doing just fine the way he is? How about U run that fluff piece again in May, during OTA's maybe?

Wow, just wow.

All Pro
    He's a heart attack waiting to happen.

Bariatric surgery, specifically gastric banding, (essentially putting a rubber band around your stomach) has come light years since Charlie Weis's disastrous gastric bypass. Great results, safe procedure.

Rex needs to do this. I am legitimately concerned that the top reason he won't be here in 10 years years is because of his health.

He's a time bomb.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    He's a heart attack waiting to happen.

Bariatric surgery, specifically gastric banding, (essentially putting a rubber band around your stomach) has come light years since Charlie Weis's disastrous gastric bypass. Great results, safe procedure.

Rex needs to do this. I am legitimately concerned that the top reason he won't be here in 10 years years is because of his health.

He's a time bomb.
    You've been saying this, and the past few weeks, every time we score, I think "David Harris thinks Rex is too, too fat; something's gonna give.

And then my heart attack starts.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    reading that article it should be clear that the NFL are a bunch of gossipy wash women.

i take that back, wash women would be offended by the amount of pure gossip in the NFL. these men are supposed to act like warriors, many act like little *****es.

rex goes to his hotel room with a pizza? and some coach gets all sherlock holmes on him? and then tells the NY Post? what is this? CSI Pizza? get a life buddy!

leave the poor guy alone!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    if Rex isn't concerned about 10 years from now, we shouldn't be either.

Worry about the health of an NFL coach 10 years in is like worrying about how Shonn Greene will be running in the year 2020.

for Rex and Shonn, Enjoy the now cause it won't get any better.

Hall Of Fame
    bariatric surgery (like medifast and optifast) and pretty much every other solution that Medical Doctors come up with is a failure waiting to happen

The four inches between the ears are the most important thing that needs to have it's behavior changed. All these other scams in which there is no change in behavior don't work.