Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rex's Mistakes Against The Colts

Rex's Mistakes Against The Colts

I'm more than positive that Peyton Manning gets warmer as the game goes on and he "settles into" the opposing defense, until finally, he's so hot that you can't stop him.

If you can put up some points during that warming period, you're doing well for yourself, and you might build a lead. Great job by the Jets here. Terrible job by the Ravens.

Once #18 gets in his groove, you can feel it. It's at that point that you cannot just protect your lead and pray for the game to end. You cannot go conservative and hope to stay out ahead of him. This is where the Jets screwed up. They kept going to the short pass and the run, and before you knew it, the Colts had score 3 unanswered TD's and the game was over.

Too conservative until it was too late, Rex. Hell of a run to this point, but I think he got the big game jitters or let someone else call the offense too often, and the Jets let a guy with 2 catches for 100 yards and a TD go un-targeted for much of the 2nd half. The Jets trailed for the entire 4th quarter, and still had 9 fewer pass attempts than the team they lost to by 13 points. I don't really understand that. It felt to me like he was trying to hide his quarterback, and I don't think you need to hide him.

Great season, certainly no ill will from Indy, and I think I speak for many, many Indianapolis fans when I say we'll be looking forward to seeing the Jets de-throne the Cheatriots in the AFC East.

Rex's mistakes:

- Insisting that the running game would break one even after Greene went down.

After that there's not really anything...the D just got figured out by a guy who figures everyone out...but even then if we had Strickland in the secondary our secondary plays better.

Rex made some mistakes yesterday, but I feel like that just comes with the territory. Hopefully he holds on to the Rexgenius tag long after his appearance on a local favorite TV show.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Rex's mistakes:

After that there's not really anything...the D just got figured out by a guy who figures everyone out...but even then if we had Strickland in the secondary our secondary plays better.

Rex made some mistakes yesterday, but I feel like that just comes with the territory. Hopefully he holds on to the Rexgenius tag long after his appearance on a local favorite TV show.
    Biggest mistake IMO was not going for points with 1:08 remaining in the half. I love Rex, but how in the hell do you give up on scoring with 68 seconds left in the half and a QB who has already thrown for 2 TDs. That was playing scared and that's NOT Jets football.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Biggest mistake IMO was not going for points with 1:08 remaining in the half. I love Rex, but how in the hell do you give up on scoring with 68 seconds left in the half and a QB who has already thrown for 2 TDs. That was playing scared and that's NOT Jets football.
    + 1000000000000000000

and it was compounded by the fact that Thomas "double knee brace" Jones was the RB given the ball on that series too.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Agree with both of your points below:

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Rex's mistakes:

That's been our formula but I agree, just because it eventually worked and Greene busted one in San Diego, didn't mean it would work yesterday. In fairness to the Jets, our defense was wearing down, we only activated 4 linemen and our secondary was down Strickland. I think Rex wanted to run a little to give the D a rest.

With that said, everyone could see it was turning into a potential shootout. The problem was that the Colts were the only ones firing a gun. We should have unleashed Sanchez earlier. I don't care if he blew up for 3 INTs by the end of the game, we had to take a shot and with Greene hurt we weren't going to score with the running game.

One thing became very clear yesterday. The difference in our running game is like night and day depending on whether Greene or TJ are in there.

We all knew it was going to be a war and the Colts, sooner or later, would find the endzone a few times. At the end of the half we ran fairly well out to the left. I was yelling to get out of bounds but it looked like TJ went down on purpose to keep the clock running. Didn't like that at all. I'm not saying we should have aired out a hail mary or anything from our 30 but you play to see if you can get across the 50 and give yourself a shot at points. I could sense that the Jets were content to take a 4 point lead into halftime knowing they'd get the ball to start the 2nd half.

Hall Of Fame
    That WAS Jets football.

Protect the ball, play great defense and run the ball late in the game.

Next year I'd hope Sanchez matures where he can execute a competent two minute drill, but we hadn't had a drive like that all year, I was ok with taking the lead into half time there. Who knows a turnover or even a couple of incomplete passes and #18 gets the ball back and puts up another TD.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3479101]Rex's mistakes:

Exactly! They had to be honest and realize that Jones wasn't what he was midseason and he wasnt going to do the things Greene could do. We needed to to have a plan B and take a shot and go to the air way, way more than we did.

All League
    The thing about this team is they're built to do what they do best, run the ball and play defense. The first time in a few weeks a team didn't really let them impose their will on them and game, they start throwing the ball too much and letting the opposing offense do what they want. I felt like they didn't run the ball enough since Greene got hurt. They had to keep Manning off the field, they didn't do that. I realize we have a good defense and you want to trust them, but Peyton is Peyton. The only way to really beat him is to make him to take a seat.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    That WAS Jets football.

Protect the ball, play great defense and run the ball late in the game.

Next year I'd hope Sanchez matures where he can execute a competent two minute drill, but we hadn't had a drive like that all year, I was ok with taking the lead into half time there. Who knows a turnover or even a couple of incomplete passes and #18 gets the ball back and puts up another TD.
    you are right saying that WAS Jets football against most teams. but against the Colts you can't expect to have a "great" defense.

their great defense went out the window 5 minutes before when Manning & Co. went 80 yards down the field in a 1:20 to make it 17-13. Also running the ball was not working in the first half, Jones was getting 2.5 yards per carry and Greene was getting 3.5 yards in the first half.

As for Sanchez not being able to run a 2 minute drill, he basically did it flawlessly in the game at Miami this year, with under 4 minutes left. and also the past 3 weeks he has looked like an All Pro QB.
    Last edited by Kleckomania; 01-25-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleckomania View Post
    the only problem was their "great defense" went out the window 5 minutes before when Manning & Co. went 80 yards down the field in a 1:20 to make it 17-13. Also running the ball was not working in the first half, Jones was getting 2.5 yards per carry and Greene was getting 3.5 yards in the first half.

As for Sanchez not being able to run a 2 minute drill, he basically did it flawlessly in the game at Miami this year, with under 5 minutes left. and also the past 3 weeks he has looked like an All Pro QB.
    All-Pro QB?

Seriously?

The guy was 12-23 for 100 yards in San Diego with a INT, Peyton Manning is an all-pro. Once Greene went down I was all for opening up the offense and putting the game on Sanchez, but not on that drive with the lead and the ball coming out.

The defense hadn't given up more than 15 points the last 8 weeks, including the Chargers who put up 20 or more points in 20+ straight games, if you wanted to win a shootout vs Peyton Manning with a rookie it wasn't going to happen.

The defense let us down, not Rex, nor the playcalling. The only questionable decision was kicking the 52 yard FG/sticking with the run once Greene was out

Veteran
    All-Pro QB?

Seriously?

The guy was 12-23 for 100 yards in San Diego with a INT, Peyton Manning is an all-pro. Once Greene went down I was all for opening up the offense and putting the game on Sanchez, but not on that drive with the lead and the ball coming out.
    since you're being technical I did mean that Sanchez looked like a Pro Bowl QB since week 17. where All Pro QB means being a Top 2 QB as opposed to a Pro Bowl QB being a Top 10 QB.

All League
    Extrapolation is useless when you're dealing with a rookie QB who's shown a proclivity for dumb turnovers; 17 good throws out of 30 attempts doesn't extrapolate to 23 out of 40. You ride the horse that got you there. Ours just happened to crack a couple ribs.

The only mistake Rex made is having the poor luck of playing the best QB of all time with a depleted secondary that sucked to begin with.

Hall Of Fame
    since you're being technical I did mean that Sanchez looked like a Pro Bowl QB since week 17. where All Pro QB means being a Top 2 QB as opposed to a Pro Bowl QB being a Top 10 QB.
    Pro-bowl level is still strong, he played well for a rookie QB, especially with the pressure of the playoffs on the road, but he never had to actually "win" the game. He had to just protect the ball and convert a few 3rd downs. He never lead us to a two minute score, or had drop back and throw when the defense knew a pass was coming.

As I said once Greene went down and we were down in the game, there wasn't much of a choice but to pass, and even then we stuck with the run, but at the end of the half I'm not letting Sanchez make a mistake. You can argue that maybe a screen or a safe pass is a better play than a couple of runs and a kneel down, but I can't fault Rex for wanting to take the lead into the lockerroom, especially after he saw what Peyton did the drive before.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by dbatesman View Post
    Extrapolation is useless when you're dealing with a rookie QB who's shown a proclivity for dumb turnovers; 17 good throws out of 30 attempts doesn't extrapolate to 23 out of 40. You ride the horse that got you there. Ours just happened to crack a couple ribs.

The only mistake Rex made is having the poor luck of playing the best QB of all time with a depleted secondary that sucked to begin with.
    Our secondary was #1 against the pass all year. I don't think you can say they sucked, we all knew Peyton is great but no one expected the Colts to move the ball with the ease that they did against us. No one had done it to us in the previous 18 games.

Our defense really let us down yesterday, yes Manning will get his points but the Colts this year haven't been that explosive on offense. I was surprised that they put up 30 points, I thought our defense could hold them to 20-24 and that we would have a shot.

All League
    Our secondary was #1 against the pass all year. I don't think you can say they sucked, we all knew Peyton is great but no one expected the Colts to move the ball with the ease that they did against us. No one had done it to us in the previous 18 games.

Our defense really let us down yesterday, yes Manning will get his points but the Colts this year haven't been that explosive on offense. I was surprised that they put up 30 points, I thought our defense could hold them to 20-24 and that we would have a shot.
    Our team was #1 against the pass this season, primarily due to an aggressive front seven. Sunday was simply the exposure of a defensive backfield that fattened up on the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Freeman.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dbatesman View Post
    Our team was #1 against the pass this season, primarily due to an aggressive front seven. Sunday was simply the exposure of a defensive backfield that fattened up on the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Freeman.
    I disagree with that. Did we fatten up on Philip Rivers, Matt Schaub, Drew Brees, Tom Brady in Week 2, etc.?

I think the Jets pass defense was hurt by two factors on Sunday:

1. Losing Strickland and being forced to shuffle DBs onto extremely talented guys like Garcon and Collie after already using our best defenders to limit Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark.
    2. Peyton Manning could be the greatest QB of all time.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    And Sanchez is no where near a top 10 QB in the NFL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    And Sanchez is no where near a top 10 QB in the NFL.

Well, he was Top 6 in the playoffs.

Sanchez has the 6th best passer rating (92.7) in the playoffs (this is in 3 road games). But he's only ahead of pedestrian QBs like Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, and Tom Brady.

But don't worry, Tx, we know you're fishing for a fight!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I'm jumping in here late but there's no way in hell do you go for points at that stage of the game. There's a lot greater chance that bad things can happen there. We had a 4 pt lead, sure it could have been more, but if someone asked you before the game if you'd be content going into the lockerroom (while receiving the kick to start the 2nd half) with a 4 pt lead, you'd be fuking ecstatic.

Why risk a mistake by Sanchez, a strip sack by Freeney/Mathis or simply two incompletions and jeopardize all the Jets hard work in the first half? If TJ got a first down on the first run, then sure, you can be a little more aggressive. But otherwise, the smart play is to go into the lockerroom and come out fighting in the second half.

If we hadn't lost Greene, we may have put up some points on that first drive and been in a much better position to compete.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Well, he was Top 6 in the playoffs.

Sanchez has the 6th best passer rating (92.7) in the playoffs (this is in 3 road games). But he's only ahead of pedestrian QBs like Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, and Tom Brady.

But don't worry, Tx, we know you're fishing for a fight!
    I'm surprised he even qualified for a passer rating with his minimal pass attempts.