Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Consensus Here The Jets Draft "D" With First Pick?

All League

So Consensus Here The Jets Draft "D" With First Pick?

From most of the posts here, I guess most feel Rex will push to improve his D with first pick.
    But I'm not sold on Braylon, how about a WR with that pick?
    And as the Giants proved, O-Lines get old real fast... the Jets may need some depth there (Faneca looked a little shaky midseason).

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    From most of the posts here, I guess most feel Rex will push to improve his D with first pick.
    And as the Giants proved, O-Lines get old real fast... the Jets may need some depth there (Faneca looked a little shaky midseason).
    The beauty of OL is it doesnt have to be drafted in the 1st frames to be quality.

Draft OL second day and FA and we're golden.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    If we do draft a WR in the 1st, it won't be to replace BE or J-Co. It'll likely be a slot receiver. Golden Tate comes to mind and Dexter McCluster - if he's rising as fast as everyone says he is - could be a possibility in round 1. If not, I'd happily look at Kyle Wilson in the first and someone like Mardy Gilyard in the second (if he's available). We NEED a slot receiver, but IMO it's not as glaring a hole as CB #2 or DE/OLB.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    The beauty of OL is it doesnt have to be drafted in the 1st frames to be quality.

Draft OL second day and FA and we're golden.
    Everyone does make that argument, but are you aware four of our starting offensive lineman were first round picks.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I’m no draft expert but to me it seems harder to find pass rushers in the later rounds, where as you should be able to find a good WR in late rounds round (Colston (7), Cotchery (4), Garcon (6), Stuckey (7), Welker (undrafted), Edelmen (7)) just to name a few.

I mean seriously, how hard is it to find a 5-11 guy who is quick?

You can find any position in the later rounds... the likelihood of success just reduces with every round.

Waterboy
    You have to go defense in the first round. You can find a decent WR in the second or third.... this is a very deep receiver class.

Hall Of Fame
    I am not convinced at all that the Jets will go D in round 1. It is on record that they loved Harvin last year and wanted to get him. It all depends on who falls to them and if their 'guys' are on the board. I could see them picking a CB for sure. We have fewer glaring holes than we have had in the past so it's more guesswork this year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I am not convinced at all that the Jets will go D in round 1. It is on record that they loved Harvin last year and wanted to get him. It all depends on who falls to them and if their 'guys' are on the board. I could see them picking a CB for sure. We have fewer glaring holes than we have had in the past so it's more guesswork this year.
    They say they go BPA.

But with early indications, I wouldn't be surprised if we go CB/DL or DL/CB in rounds 1/2

Veteran
    ... BPA - CB/DL/OLB in rounds 1/2 ...

l_j_r

JetsInsider.com Legend
    rex ryan found leonard, scott and m douglas after the draft... i dont think the defense needs another first rounder... in fact i think rex likes the underdog types like westerman alot more than the drafted high types like gholston. in general he wants em hungry... the offense can use more help for sanchez and i suspect that's where they go...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ljr@work View Post
    ... BPA - CB/DL/OLB in rounds 1/2 ...

l_j_r
    Agreed. BPA in the first two rounds. Draft a Right Tackle later in the draft. Matt Slauson is the eventual replacement for Faneca.

I think first round needs to be OLB, CB, or S if we move Rhodes.

Brandon Graham, Jerry Hughes, Sergio Kindle (if he fell), Kyle Wilson, and Donovan Warren are all good candidates.

CB?

It sounds like Lito will not be back. So where does that leave us for CB #2? Lowery? Lowery is our nickle at best. If we do not sign a free agent CB then we pretty much have to go CB early since that player will be needed to contribute right away. And there are some good CBs that will be available when we pick. Perrish Cox and Kyle Wilson have really helped themselves this week. Both could be fringe first rounders. CB is looking like a major priority right now.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    CB, Passrusher,RB,WR......LB,OT........You take the best player on the board, other than the obvious.

All League
    How many rookie CB's (outside of Revis) are solid starters their rookie year?

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    How many rookie CB's (outside of Revis) are solid starters their rookie year?
    Probably more CBs than QBs. The Jets have drafted many rookies over the past few years at various positions and they have all contributed as rookies and have seen lots of playing time. The CB position is a big need right now. You can either sign someone like a Lito Sheppard and see that they are not the long term solution or you can grab someone with more upside through the draft. Or both.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    rex ryan found leonard, scott and m douglas after the draft... i dont think the defense needs another first rounder... in fact i think rex likes the underdog types like westerman alot more than the drafted high types like gholston. in general he wants em hungry... the offense can use more help for sanchez and i suspect that's where they go...
    The guys the D in Baltimore is built around....Lewis, Reed, Suggs, and Ngata...all first round picks.

Rex does find filler where filler is needed, and I think either side of the ball is a possibility in the first.

we have no #2 CB, so that is the biggest need right now. I wouldn't feel too comfortable with Lowery in the spot come September.

Hall Of Fame
    If I ran the Jets, I would be taking Defense with the 1st pick.

Rex Ryan isn't one to be happy with the #1 ranking, Rex Ryan wants the 2000 Ravens or the 1985 Bears kind of defense..... and I don't think we're that far away from getting there. We need Jenkins, we need another pass rusher, and we need to improve in the secondary. I'd love to see some youth on the D-Line as well, but given the uncapped rules and our lack of draft picks, that might have to go on the backburner since that's more of a future need then a present need.

Offensively, I don't think we need a whole ton..... we got our Franchise QB (Or so we hope), we got a nice stable of runningbacks, we got Cotchery, Edwards, and Keller for him to throw the ball to, and the best offensive line in the game. But again, we could use some youth on the line, but that's more of a future need rather then a present need, so given our lack of picks it might have to go on the backburner. I could see getting a slot WR for Sanchez, but I can't see drafting that guy in Round 1. The earliest I could see us going there is on someone like Gilyard in Round 2, and that's because he's an explosive returnman as well, so he has other value outside of his contributions as a WR.