Thread: Demaryius Thomas in Rd.2

All Pro

Demaryius Thomas in Rd.2

6'3" 230 and while I've seen places predict he'll run a 4.6 40, he looks faster than that on the field to me. I think he'll be low 4.5s maybe even high 4.4s... but speed isn't his game. He's a monster of a WR who is tough to tackle and he goes after the ball.

His numbers were decent this year (46 for 1154 and 8 TDs) but take a second to digest the fact that no other player on GT has had double digit receptions in the past 2 years. That team does not throw the ball, but if they do it's to Thomas. To put it simply, he is the entire passing game. If he went to Texas Tech or Oklahoma State, there's no doubt in my mind he'd have Playstation esque stats.

From everything I've read, this kid LOVES football. Loves everything about it. And it shows in his blocking. He's often nothing more than a TE standing out wide in that offense and he DOMINATES DBs on the edge to help break huge runs. He's not just a big, strong, willing blocker either. The kid is technically sound as well.

He is a terrible route runner, and that's going to take at least a couple years for him to get down, but I think he's a very hard worker and will not have a problem taking to coaching. It's not like he got the best preparation for an NFL offense with Tech's triple option.

Defense in the 1st, be it Kyle Wilson, Graham, Odrick, Cody, whoever Rex wants... but take this kid in the 2nd.

Thomas can be the #3 WR from day 1 (Cotchery is still the 2, but would play in the slot) and his upside is TO/Brandon Marshall-like. Sky is the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

6'3" 230 and while I've seen places predict he'll run a 4.6 40, he looks faster than that on the field to me. I think he'll be low 4.5s maybe even high 4.4s... but speed isn't his game. He's a monster of a WR who is tough to tackle and he goes after the ball.

His numbers were decent this year (46 for 1154 and 8 TDs) but take a second to digest the fact that no other player on GT has had double digit receptions in the past 2 years. That team does not throw the ball, but if they do it's to Thomas. To put it simply, he is the entire passing game. If he went to Texas Tech or Oklahoma State, there's no doubt in my mind he'd have Playstation esque stats.

From everything I've read, this kid LOVES football. Loves everything about it. And it shows in his blocking. He's often nothing more than a TE standing out wide in that offense and he DOMINATES DBs on the edge to help break huge runs. He's not just a big, strong, willing blocker either. The kid is technically sound as well.

He is a terrible route runner, and that's going to take at least a couple years for him to get down, but I think he's a very hard worker and will not have a problem taking to coaching. It's not like he got the best preparation for an NFL offense with Tech's triple option.

Defense in the 1st, be it Kyle Wilson, Graham, Odrick, Cody, whoever Rex wants... but take this kid in the 2nd.

Thomas can be the #3 WR from day 1 (Cotchery is still the 2, but would play in the slot) and his upside is TO/Brandon Marshall-like. Sky is the limit.
    I dont know if he makes it to late round 2. Ive seen him going anywhere from late round 1 to mid round 2. Maybe if the Jets trade down they can pick him up with an extra pick, IDK.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

won't be there...

Hall Of Fame
    Honestly, I think much of his breakout year had to do with the fact that NOBODY ever expects GT to throw the ball with their option offense and they were caught off guard when they did do so.

And I don't buy that he's got the ability to create seperation at the next level. He's not speedy, and as you alluded to, he's terrible at route-running right now. He reminds me quite a bit of Dwayne Jarrett, and that's not a compliment.

i wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the 2nd WR taken after Dez Bryant and in the top 20.

Agreed.

If he's there in the 2nd or if we trade back to the mid 2nd, I'd love to take him. He is Dwayne Bowe.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    won't be there...
    +1

he might not make it out of round 1.

All League
    I hope we take him in Round 1.....One of my roomates is a big Georgia Tech fan so I watched almost every Tech game the last 2 seasons.......dude is a flat out BEAST......If he were on a passing team, his numbers would be ridiculous IMO

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    i wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the 2nd WR taken after Dez Bryant and in the top 20.
    dez bryant might not break 4.6

he's really overrated right now

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    won't be there...
    Hmmm... Where do you think he fits in with the WRs right now?

He'd be #4 on my list behind Williams Tate and Bryant but I thought I liked him more than most people do.

Hopefully he runs like Boldin did and falls to the late 2nd.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Hmmm... Where do you think he fits in with the WRs right now?

He'd be #4 on my list behind Williams Tate and Bryant but I thought I liked him more than most people do.

Hopefully he runs like Boldin did and falls to the late 2nd.
    not sold on Tate just yet...ask me next Tuesday....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Honestly, I think much of his breakout year had to do with the fact that NOBODY ever expects GT to throw the ball with their option offense and they were caught off guard when they did do so.

And I don't buy that he's got the ability to create seperation at the next level. He's not speedy, and as you alluded to, he's terrible at route-running right now. He reminds me quite a bit of Dwayne Jarrett, and that's not a compliment.
    Maybe you're right, but I don't see the same athleticism in Jarrett as I see in DT. Thomas is a little quicker than you give him credit for and he's MUCH stronger than DJ. And from all accounts, he's a far superior worker.

I see the route running problem as just a temporary one. He didn't get an opportunity to learn behind a great WRs coach before, but I think he'd be just fine in the NFL after a couple years.

As to the "caught off guard" comment... I just don't buy it. It appeared that 9 defensive players were assigned to the option and two were assigned to Thomas on just about every play. I can see the offense being caught off guard by someone else catching the ball since it happened so infrequently, but DT is the one reason, IMO, why he caught almost 50 balls.