Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lamarr Houston draft '10 thread

All Pro

The Lamarr Houston draft '10 thread

Since i've had hard on for this guy for a few weeks now and his name has been popping up in various draft pick threads, it's time he had his own thread.

He's been climbing up draft boards over the last month, from mid 3rd rnd pick to mid 2nd in some mocks.

Recently i just noticed they got him as far as #1 pick in the 2nd rnd over at Walterfootball
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2010_2.php

I'm really like our chances of taking this guy as early as our #1 pick if the right CB isn't there for us.

All Pro
    Name: Lamarr Houston
    College: Texas Number: 33
    Height: 6-3 Weight: 302
    Position: DT Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2010
    40 Time: 4.93 40 Low: 4.86 40 High: 5.08
    Projected Round: 3 Stock: High: 2-3 Low: 4
    Rated number 9 out of 186 DT's 102 / 2757 TOTAL

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=DT

Draft Scout Snapshot: HIGH RISER: DS Rating on 9/1/09: #15 DT, #174/750 Overall, Projected Rd: 5-6
    2009 Senior Bowl Invite…2009 East-West Shrine Invite…2008: 12 GP; 8 GS; 17 Sol-23 TT, 6 TFL, 1.5 SK, 4 PBU, 7 QBH; Suspended for one game after being arrested and charged with DWI in two-car accident (no injuries). Made eight starts at defensive tackle and on special teams despite battling a foot injury for much of the season … a second-team Academic All-Big 12 selection … helped UT rank first in the Big 12 in scoring defense (18.8 ppg/18th NCAA), total defense (342.9 ypg), rushing defense (83.5 ypg/third NCAA) and second in pass efficiency defense (124.2 rating) … recorded four tackles, two TFL, a PBU and a pressure versus Rice; named the Most Productive Defensive Performer by the coaching staff for his game against the Owls. 2007: 13 GP; 11 GS; KR: 1-27-27-0; 45 Sol-66 TT, 12 TFL, 4.5 SK, 4 PBU, 24 QBH, 1 FF; Tabbed honorable mention All-Big 12 by The Associated Press … named one of UT’s Outstanding Defensive Ends … led the team with 12 TFL and 24 pressures. 2006: 11 GP; 0 GS; 8 Sol-14 TT, 2 TFL, 1 SK, 2 QBH. Personal: Cousin, Stan Gill, played tailback at Stanford (1985

All Pro
    http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_id=2296

Position: DT
    School & Year/Status: Texas - Senior
    Jersey Number: #33
    Height & Weight: 6'2 - 300 lbs.

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person
    Lamarr Houston, DT, Texas
    Lamarr Houston came to Texas expecting to be the team's next great defensive end. He did earn 11 starts as a freshman and a sophomore at the end position, and even earned honorable mention All-Big 12 accolades during the 2007 season. Then in 2008 Houston switched to the defensive tackle spot. His season was slowed by injuries, but Houston still managed to make eight starts and do his part clogging the middle of the line.
    Six games into the 2009 season and Houston is turning into a dominating defensive tackle. He continues to add more weight and is listed at 6-2 and 300 pounds, but the weight seems to keep going up and that is a good thing if he wants to play defensive tackle in the NFL. It is his production on the field that is getting the attention of NFL scouts. Through six games, Houston has 21 tackles, six tackles-for-loss and 17 quarterback hurries.

Houston's experience at defensive end and defensive tackle should make him a more valuable player in the draft. He can move around in any 4-3 defense and provide quality depth anywhere on the line. Houston will have to make some noise between now and the draft to be a first or second round selection, but he should not fall far past that point.

Last Updated Oct-19-2009 by Joel Welser

Hall Of Fame
    I posted this in another thread....Sounds like a good 3-4 DE prospect. Sounds like Marques Douglas...

01/11/2010
    - 2009 BOWL GAME RISER: Lamarr Houston, DT, Texas: Teammate Sergio Kindle will be lauded for his 2.5 sacks, but Houston was the more impressive player on the Longhorn defense in their title game loss. Unlike Kindle, who was handled by Alabama TE Colin Peek (another rising prospect) on the edge, and star FS Earl Thomas, who missed multiple tackles, Houston fought through blocks to lead the team with ten tackles, two for loss and a sack. His quickness and effort as an interior pass rusher has made fans of scouts all over the league this year. And unlike 'Bama's "Fridge" carbon copy Terrence Cody, Houston can play on every down (even moving to the nose on third downs), get low in goal-line situations and be more effective as a short-yardage fullback. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Proj. Round 3-4

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1123374
    Last edited by C Mart; 02-14-2010 at 04:14 PM.

All Pro
    I'd like to see the Jets take him with the 2nd round pick. He's an inch or two shorter than you'd like a 3-4 DE to be, but he's got pretty long arms.

He needs to get a little stronger, but he's got some quickness for a big man and can rush the passer. I think he also offers some scheme diversity in that he can play the nose on passing downs and play DT in the 4-3.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I'd like to see the Jets take him with the 2nd round pick. He's an inch or two shorter than you'd like a 3-4 DE to be, but he's got pretty long arms.

He needs to get a little stronger, but he's got some quickness for a big man and can rush the passer. I think he also offers some scheme diversity in that he can play the nose on passing downs and play DT in the 4-3.
    You said it. I cannot overstate how important i think this is to Rex's vision (IMO).

Houston is a very good prospect from what I've read. This is where the problems begin. Do you try him in the first round? There will definitely be a very good CB available at 29. What is the higher need?
    If DE Odrick of Penn State is available do you take him at 29?
    Think you need to go CB at 29. Pray that Houston is available at #61. If not Mike Neal of Purdue.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Houston is a very good prospect from what I've read. This is where the problems begin. Do you try him in the first round? There will definitely be a very good CB available at 29. What is the higher need?
    If DE Odrick of Penn State is available do you take him at 29?
    Think you need to go CB at 29. Pray that Houston is available at #61. If not Mike Neal of Purdue.
    Tannenbaums M.O. Is that they will take best CB on the board at 29, then, if a DE is still on the board that they have in their top 5 on the their board they move up & get their man!

They take a flyer on a wideout with the pick they have left & they sign a veteran wideout to fill the slot, with Cotch & Braylon. A good veteran wideout, would be open 24/7 in this offense next year. Teams have to stop Greene, Leon, Edwards, Cotchery, Keller. Sanchez, with more experience should have more of a playbook. Plus, the Tigercat with Brad will be even better with Leon back.
    Someone mentioned Leon & Greene in the backfield with Brad Smith running the Tiger, could be better than Miamis wildcat now that people know we will throw the ball too.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Tannenbaums M.O. Is that they will take best CB on the board at 29, then, if a DE is still on the board that they have in their top 5 on the their board they move up & get their man!

They take a flyer on a wideout with the pick they have left & they sign a veteran wideout to fill the slot, with Cotch & Braylon. A good veteran wideout, would be open 24/7 in this offense next year. Teams have to stop Greene, Leon, Edwards, Cotchery, Keller. Sanchez, with more experience should have more of a playbook. Plus, the Tigercat with Brad will be even better with Leon back.
    Someone mentioned Leon & Greene in the backfield with Brad Smith running the Tiger, could be better than Miamis wildcat now that people know we will throw the ball too.

Here's the only problem. The Jets don't have enough picks to maneuver around. No 3 or 4.
    I think they should trade out of #29 down about 10 spots. To maybe #6 in round two. There are about five CBs who can be argued are about the same and could go from 29 in the first to 10 in the second.
    So, CB at #38
    DE at #61 (maybe Houston is there or Neal of Purdue)
    WR at #70 (picked up in the trade down - #6 in round 3)

Pretty happy that he measured in at 6'3...That's fine for a 3-4 DE. I'd prefer a taller dude, but beggars can't be choosers and Houston's a damn good player anyway.

Houston > Odrick

JetsInsider.com Legend
    they have Ellis for 1 more year... who was just in the pro bowl... Mike Devito played great... Pito is promising... Jenks is coming back, Pouha played great... even Douglas and Green did decent jobs... explain to me again why the league's #1 defense needs to use premium draft picks on defensive linemen?

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    they have Ellis for 1 more year... who was just in the pro bowl... Mike Devito played great... Pito is promising... Jenks is coming back, Pouha played great... even Douglas and Green did decent jobs... explain to me again why the league's #1 defense needs to use premium draft picks on defensive linemen?
    Ellis and Jenkins are the only starting caliber DL on the team, and Ellis is 34.

The leagues #1 D should use premium picks on DL because building a dominant DL does for you D what a dominant OL does for the offense.

Pito, we hope, is probably a Jason Hatcher/Kenyon Coleman type rotational DE...DeVito is that swing DL like Chris Hoke or Mike Wright...Pouha is the same age as Jenkins as has been injured as often...the guy's been with the team 6 or 7 years and last year was his first fully healthy season...Green and Douglas might not even be with the team next year. I

Hall Of Fame
    Because games are won on the line of scrimmage. And DL need a year or two to adjust to the NFL game, even #1 picks. So why not bring him in to learn behind Ellis and Douglas (both early to mid 30 yrs of age) for a year and spot play?

Pito hardly played so who knows if he is an answer to replace Ellis and Douglas.

If he is projected as a 3rd or 4th rounder I wouldn't necessarily call that a "premium pick"...Even a late 2nd wouldn't be a "premium pick" IMO.

As for not having a 3rd or 4th. If Tanny and Rex like him Tanny will find a way to get him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Ellis and Jenkins are the only starting caliber DL on the team, and Ellis is 34.
    Here's my prediction... if the Jets drafted a DL high... he wouldn't be able to keep Mike Devito on the bench... if they drafted a DT high he wouldn't be able to keep Pouha on the bench. These guys played great and are both starting caliber.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Well i think you're right to an extend, i mean there's probably 2 CBs that Tanny expects or hopes fall to him. If they're there or near our pick I'm sure he'll grab them, BUT i seriously doubt he's just going to take a CB regardless.

At this rate, there's no way Houston is there at our #2 pick. However, what about this guy Cam Thomas from NC?

Why? WHY??

Cause we lost MIA.. x2 in the fourth quarter
    Cause we lost to BUF in overtime...
    Cause we lost to ATL in the final mins...
    Cause we lost to JAX in the final mins...

All of those losses (as I'm sure you can remember) were lost by the defense. Our guys just sputtered out with age by the 4th quarters. Thats the difference between a 9-7 team and a 14-2 team.

Sure our offense was rusty at times, but there were obviously some nuances that were still be worked out with a rookie QB, a new WR, etc.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

All of those losses (as I'm sure you can remember) were lost by the defense. Our guys just sputtered out with age by the 4th quarters. Thats the difference between a 9-7 team and a 14-2 team.
    when the QB is throwing Picks to the other team the defense gets on the field more and eventually the tank runs empty. How many picks did Sanchez throw against BUF, JAX and ATL? I can throw MIA on the defense but ya gotta score points in this league... or at least not turn it over... the Jets in regular season were not scoring points AND turning it over on offense. Not good.

the JEts passing offense was the weakness of this team 31st overall in the league.

even if all of what you say is true... I stand by the statement unless it's N. Suh a rookie isn't keeping Mike Devito and Sione Pouha on the bench.

All Pro
    when the QB is throwing Picks to the other team the defense gets on the field more and eventually the tank runs empty. How many picks did Sanchez throw against BUF, JAX and ATL? I can throw MIA on the defense but ya gotta score points in this league... or at least not turn it over... the Jets in regular season were not scoring points AND turning it over on offense. Not good.

the JEts passing offense was the weakness of this team 31st overall in the league.

even if all of what you say is true... I stand by the statement unless it's N. Suh a rookie isn't keeping Mike Devito and Sione Pouha on the bench.
    Why you have such a hard on for that guy, i'll never get.

You can try and pin it on Sanchez all you want... but deep down you know it. We shouldla won that game against ATL. We shoulda won that game against JAX. x2 games in MIA we shoulda made a stop. BUF shoulda never been able to crawl back into that one...

Hall Of Fame

I don't buy that. When the game is on the line and all the D needs to do is to make a stop to win the game I don't think fatigue is the excuse. Lack of a dominating pass rush is more of the culprit, not the tank is empty.

Plus I know the Mia MNF game and I think the Jax game the Jets offense had drives late in the 4th to take the lead. The D would have been on the sideline during those drives long enough to recharge their batteries.

And on the subsequent opposing teams drives where all the D had to do was make a stop to win the game they couldn't do it. Again, IMO because this D is lacking a true pass rush.

Veteran
    Why? WHY??

Sure our offense was rusty at times, but there were obviously some nuances that were still be worked out with a rookie QB, a new WR, etc.
    QFT

Well i think you're right to an extend, i mean there's probably 2 CBs that Tanny expects or hopes fall to him. If they're there or near our pick I'm sure he'll grab them, BUT i seriously doubt he's just going to take a CB regardless.

At this rate, there's no way Houston is there at our #2 pick. However, what about this guy Cam Thomas from NC?

Why? WHY??

It's not impossible that Houston is there at #61 but I doubt it. There are other 3-4 type DEs available. Cam Thomas is a real DT/NT not a DE candidate. He is a good player just not what the Jets need.