Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone thinking running back?

All Pro

Is anyone thinking running back?

I'm not saying with our 1st round pick but I honestly believe you try to get better & better at each position.
    TJ played his *ss off for the Jets but his tires are running bald.

Anyone could see the difference between the burst that Greene had compared to TJ.
    I would love to be more balanced next year in the 1st half of games, get some leads & pound teams into submition in the 2nd half.

I guarantee you that a very intriguing running back will be on the board at 61.
    We have one of the best lines in the NFL & we need to take advantage of that while we can.
    We were wearing teams out with TJ getting 1,2 & 3 yard runs. Imagine Greene, Leon & another YOUNG STUD ripping it up!
    Great running game keeps senor Sanchez a happy & healthy QB for 16 games.

All League
    Did you forget about Leon?

All Pro
    My impression is that this RB class is very weak in general. Even a guy like C.J. Spiller doesn't seem to be a can't miss prospect and doesn't project to be an everydown back (even though that doesn't say too much these days).

There should definitely be some interesting players available in the second round and depending on what happens with Jones and how the CS judges his late season performance (injury related or age) these guys might get a look from the Jets. Montario Hardesty (Tennessee) had a great senior season and is a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme, Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech), Charles Scott (LSU) or LeGarrette Blount (Oregon) are big, physical bruisers our CS could like and maybe we also take a flyer on some guy in the later rounds.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

If we let TJ go, we are going to need another RB on the 53 man for emergency and mop up purposes. Being that Leon and Shonn will be getting the bulk of the carries, I wouldn't mind seeing what Chauncey Washington can contribute in that role. I'd rather not devote a draft pick (even a late one) on a guy who's best case scenario would be "fighting to be active on gameday".

Doubly so if Danny Woodhead is on the 53 man. He certainly can carry the ball in a pinch.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I'm not saying with our 1st round pick but I honestly believe you try to get better & better at each position.

Anyone could see the difference between the burst that Greene had compared to TJ.
    I would love to be more balanced next year in the 1st half of games, get some leads & pound teams into submition in the 2nd half.

We have one of the best lines in the NFL & we need to take advantage of that while we can.
    We were wearing teams out with TJ getting 1,2 & 3 yard runs. Imagine Greene, Leon & another YOUNG STUD ripping it up!
    Instead of thinking about RB at 61 - we picked Greene later than that, why not consider a flyer in the 5/6/7 on a big bruising back like Blount from Oregon. When it gets cold, he really won't need to do too much except take the beating for a few carries to help wear down defenses.

That said, I think we need to bring back TJ. Yes he was spent in the playoffs. But he did just run for 1400+ yards. How about next year, we keep Jones around 800 yards, and split the remaining carries between Leon and Greene. Jones CARRIED this offense in most games so to just discard him would be incredibly disrespectful.

Now, if he would prefer to be released in hopes of finding a long term deal elsewhere, that would be different. IMO, after what Jones has done for this team over the last few seasons, it should be his choice whether to remain a Jet for next season under the contract that he signed, or to let him go be a FA. He would probably be the top FA this offseason.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    If we let TJ go, we are going to need another RB on the 53 man for emergency and mop up purposes. Being that Leon and Shonn will be getting the bulk of the carries, I wouldn't mind seeing what Chauncey Washington can contribute in that role. I'd rather not devote a draft pick (even a late one) on a guy who's best case scenario would be "fighting to be active on gameday".

Doubly so if Danny Woodhead is on the 53 man. He certainly can carry the ball in a pinch.
    Bingo! Fill in the other needed pieces on D (DE, CBs, S) and slot WR this year. I'd look at RB next year in the 2nd - 4th round range...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    My impression is that this RB class is very weak in general. Even a guy like C.J. Spiller doesn't seem to be a can't miss prospect and doesn't project to be an everydown back (even though that doesn't say too much these days).

There should definitely be some interesting players available in the second round and depending on what happens with Jones and how the CS judges his late season performance (injury related or age) these guys might get a look from the Jets. Montario Hardesty (Tennessee) had a great senior season and is a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme, Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech), Charles Scott (LSU) or LeGarrette Blount (Oregon) are big, physical bruisers our CS could like and maybe we also take a flyer on some guy in the later rounds.
    Could you imagine Dwyer & Greene running the option with Brad Smith!
    Talk about versatility!
    You could have Dwyer & Leon to give Shonn a breather. That would be very hard to stop.
    I like the Tiger stuff- adds that much more stuff the opposing defense has to deal with. Matter of fact it would have done well in the 2nd half against the Colts once they started slowing down.

I like TJ but I honestly believe he is the perfect example of running behind a very good oline similar to what Denver used to do. Chester Taylor would probably RIP IT UP behind this line.

I can't guarantee there will be an intriguing CB available @ 61 but I like my chances and if there is I'll take him all day every day twice on draft day bc CBs are so Fing hard to come by and we have a glaring hole there IMO.

RBs? Chauncey Washington anyone?? Late rounders? FAs? re work TJs deal??

RBs are plug and play IMO especially behind jets current O-line. Id be opposed to going RB @ 61 bigtime. I think the jets will feel the same.

Jetster-bring in Chester taylor w low miles- im all about that and made a post earlier this season about him and how he needs to be a jet for'10 in the main forum.
    Last edited by MarkyMarkSanchez; 02-16-2010 at 05:52 PM.

All Pro

NO! bc the jets have LW coming back and he is like having another draft pick.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Bingo! Fill in the other needed pieces on D (DE, CBs, S) and slot WR this year. I'd look at RB next year in the 2nd - 4th round range...
    I want another corner too but everyone keeps harping on a DE. Truth be told if Jets could get Graham they would be all set with another pass rusher. Then they could take a CB at 61 or creatively move up for one.
    Also if they trade Rhodes which I think is highly likely, he would be very good in a cover 2 type defense.
    So, Rhodes for a 3 & 5, now we could fill all our needs.
    Damn, I am so excited that we now have our QB & can concentrate on upgrading this team.
    Getting Big Jenks & Leon back is also like drafting 2 great players to add to next years roster.
    Plus we have excellent coaches at every level so who knows what practice squad players will emerge. I personally think Dwight Lowery should be groomed to take over Rhodes spot. Lowery has a nose for the ball, but he can't cover man which was his knock coming into the draft for him.

I want another corner too but everyone keeps harping on a DE. Truth be told if Jets could get Graham they would be all set with another pass rusher. Then they could take a CB at 61 or creatively move up for one.
    Also if they trade Rhodes which I think is highly likely, he would be very good in a cover 2 type defense.
    So, Rhodes for a 3 & 5, now we could fill all our needs.
    Damn, I am so excited that we now have our QB & can concentrate on upgrading this team.
    Getting Big Jenks & Leon back is also like drafting 2 great players to add to next years roster.
    Plus we have excellent coaches at every level so who knows what practice squad players will emerge. I personally think Dwight Lowery should be groomed to take over Rhodes spot. Lowery has a nose for the ball, but he can't cover man which was his knock coming into the draft for him.
    Lighting bolt in my pants.

All Pro
    The best thing about having a top OL is that you can take RBs a little later -- and we're looking for a #3 RB, which is perfect for a 5th/6th round or later pick.

Anyone to take Woodhead's spot on the roster should be fine.

All Pro
    With the rules the way they are and the needs the Jets have I would not use a draft pick in 2010 on a RB. That is why they need to bring back Thomas Jones. A backfield of Jones, Washington and Greene will be real nice in 2010. The Jets are already without a #3 pick. They need to get at least 1 quality CB, help and depth on the d-line and a #3 & # 4 WR. They can fill some of these needs by acquiring waiver free agents (IE. WR's). So I would wait until 2011 to get a replacement for Thomas Jones.

All League
    LeGarrette Blount

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    Lighting bolt in my pants.
    How would you feel about this draft:
    1- Brandon Graham
    2- Dominique Franks
    3- Dwyer drops because he didn't play in the I
    5- Best slot receiver available
    5- DL Depth
    Never underestimate the need for running backs- Look at the Patriots- Brady took a POUNDING because his backs either sucked or were banged up. Look what happened to the Jets when Greene went down. The Jets will be more balanced but Rex & Callahan are 1st & foremost a running team.

I would be ecstatic if the board fell like this- Feel free to finish it for me with names for the 2/5th round picks.
    * 3th & 5Th aquired in trade for Kerry Rhodes
    Last edited by jetster; 02-16-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

yes please

All League
    A Tashard Choice-ish 5th rounder would be nice

Veteran
    How would you feel about this draft:
    1- Brandon Graham
    2- Dominique Franks
    3- Dwyer drops because he didn't play in the I
    5- Best slot receiver available
    5- DL Depth
    Never underestimate the need for running backs- Look at the Patriots- Brady took a POUNDING because his backs either sucked or were banged up. Look what happened to the Jets when Greene went down. The Jets will be more balanced but Rex & Callahan are 1st & foremost a running team.

I would be ecstatic if the board fell like this- Feel free to finish it for me with names for the 2/5th round picks.
    * 3th & 5Th aquired in trade for Kerry Rhodes
    I like it but wouldnt we have to cut BT for Brandon Graham to play? He would be a situational pass rusher. I actually like Westerman in that role right now. He put good pressure on the QB when he was in there. I remember him putting pressure on palmer,and got a sack in week 1.

VG:0

JW:1

LOL

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

yes please
    I probably wouldn't take a RB until the 6th round, but he's a dynamic player and I'll never have a problem adding weapons with high upside. I think McKnight can be great once he matures a little both mentally and physically.

All Pro
    YES I AM!!

I've been saying for a month now... We need reinforcements. I'm not even gonna read the replies, i'm just gonna repeat what i've been saying for weeks.

T. Jones. ..Gas'ed
    L. Wsh. ...Broken. We hope he'll be ready
    S. Greene ....Beast who's flirting dangeriously with the label "fragile"

Ground & Pound?? Ya better get ourselves so Blount. LaGarrett Style. I want another RB that will fck you up. A better proportional ver. of Jacobs