Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats tag Wilfork... this is gonna get ugly.

Hall Of Fame

Pats tag Wilfork... this is gonna get ugly.

Pats, Wilfork hope for long-term deal

As expected, the New England Patriots on Monday assigned the franchise tag to defensive lineman Vince Wilfork, but both sides indicated they still hoped to work out a long-term contract.

"A long-term agreement with Vince Wilfork has been the team's top contractual priority for some time," the Patriots announced in a statement confirming Wilfork was tagged. "Unfortunately, despite numerous conversations and proposals, the goal has not yet been realized. Vince is a tremendous player for our team and remains a significant part of our future plans. It is because of Vince's importance to this organization that we have assigned the franchise designation as we continue to work toward a long-term agreement. We are hopeful that Vince will remain a Patriot for many years to come."

The Patriots used the nonexclusive tag on Wilfork, according to an NFL source, meaning that other teams can host Wilfork on a free-agent visit and potentially sign him to an offer sheet. If the Patriots decide not to match a potential offer sheet, they would receive two first-round draft choices. Because of that high cost, it is extremely rare for a non-exclusive franchise tag player to change teams with an offer sheet.

If Wilfork signs his non-exclusive franchise tender with the Patriots, it would be a guaranteed one-year deal at $7 million (the average salary of the five highest-paid players at his position last season). Had the Patriots used the exclusive franchise tag, other teams would not have the opportunity to sign him to an offer sheet and Wilfork's salary would have been calculated using 2010 salaries, not 2009.

The Wilfork camp responded to the news Monday afternoon with this message posted to the Twitter account of Wilfork's wife, Bianca:

"After six years of dedicated service I do understand this is a business," the message read. "With that being said it is my hope that the tag is applied for its true purpose. For the purpose of allotting more time for us to continue our talks and be able to reach a long term agreement. Only time will tell what the final result will be."

Wilfork has said he would consider the franchise tag a "slap in the face", telling a Boston sports radio station last month that he wants "a long-term deal or I want to be free. Point blank."

The Patriots were faced with a Thursday deadline to put the franchise tag on the 28-year-old Wilfork, who just completed the final season of a six-year deal he signed after he was drafted by New England.
    I bet he holds out and signs the tender with conditions that they can't tender him again.

All Pro
    He'll either do as you said, or they'll reach a long term deal.

Letting Wilfork go would be the worst thing the Patriots have done yet. They're not that stupid. Somehow, someway, they'll agree on a long term deal in the next year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I bet he holds out and signs the tender with conditions that they can't tender him again.
    I'll be very surprised if he is not signed long term by the beginning of camp. I presume he is looking for something short of Haynesworth money and given the opportunity the Pats have to dump a good amount of money into the uncapped 2010 year, there is simply no reason not to sign him long term.

All Pro
    he will hold out like abe did till the very end of camp. This way, he is off all summer. not to shabby.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    the franchise tag discussions are always good for a laugh. 7 million dollars for 1 year of work is not a slap in the face. no matter how much you think you are worth... plus they can do it for 8 million next year... and THEN get the long term deal.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

"A long-term agreement with Vince Wilfork has been the team's top contractual priority for some time," the Patriots announced in a statement confirming Wilfork was tagged. "Unfortunately, despite numerous conversations and proposals, the goal has not yet been realized.
    I'm pretty sure Wilfork has said that no offer has been made.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the franchise tag discussions are always good for a laugh. 7 million dollars for 1 year of work is not a slap in the face. no matter how much you think you are worth.
    Exactly.

Not only is Wilfork going to get $7 million in 2010, but he was a 1st round pick, so he's easily made over $20 million already, plus all the extra $ he's received from the Patriots reaching two Super Bowls, winning one, in his time in New England, plus the Pro Bowl money, etc.

The guy could be set for life with just a one year, $7 million deal if he didn't feel the need to have 7 houses and 16 sports cars with his own disco dancers, a red billiard room with a giant camel and Michaelango paintings all over his houses.

Wilfork is the most important player on their defense... As good as Warren is, you can't stop the run without Vince running that demanding two-gap system.

Hall Of Fame
    the franchise tag discussions are always good for a laugh. 7 million dollars for 1 year of work is not a slap in the face. no matter how much you think you are worth... plus they can do it for 8 million next year... and THEN get the long term deal.
    I actually typically tend to sympathize with the athletes in most cases.

Many of them have families and would like to know where they are living for the next 5-6 years rather then just 1 year. With a long-term deal comes security.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

its obviously a matter of degrees. Of course its not a slap in the face to what we all make (at least most of us), but the reality is is that he's one of the three best at what he does, and he should be compensated commensurately with his skill and value is.

Ultimately, I'm sure he will be, but I can understand the frustration of player getting tagged.

All Pro
    i think in terms of he already initially signed a deal for a year extra on top of that if he gets injured this season he stands to lose about 10-12m of guranteed money at least... I say Pats should sign him, why wouldn't they; he;'s an ideal 3-4 DT.

Hall Of Fame
    IMO, there's no way they come to an agreement. He thinks he's going to get Haynesworth money... which is ridiculous for any player not playing QB, also just my opinion. I think the Patriots are gonna do what they used to do, which is try to get Wilfork to take the hometown discount in exchange for playing on a winning team blah blah blah. Long story short... it aint happening. The Pats will make him an offer, his agent is going to laugh, they'll go to FA if there's a 2011 season. The real wildcard is the 2011 season IMO. I'm not sure if teams are gonna have leverage or what with players feeling they have to sign in 2010 because who knows what's gonna happen after that. Should be interesting.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I actually typically tend to sympathize with the athletes in most cases.

Many of them have families and would like to know where they are living for the next 5-6 years rather then just 1 year. With a long-term deal comes security.
    When you make $7 million, you and your family can live whereever the hell they want

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    When you make $7 million, you and your family can live whereever the hell they want
    he'd look good in green & white, jus' sayin'...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post
    he'd look good in green & white, jus' sayin'...
    he wont go to philly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post
    i think in terms of he already initially signed a deal for a year extra on top of that if he gets injured this season he stands to lose about 10-12m of guranteed money at least... I say Pats should sign him, why wouldn't they; he;'s an ideal 3-4 DT.
    Agreed. Six year rookie deals are no longer legal in the NFL as they are so one-sided against the players. Vince played his out with no complaints. He's an elite NT and a great clubhouse guy. It's time to reward the guy with a decent contract. Life is short as a 350+ pound NFL nose tackle.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Patrollie View Post
    Agreed. Six year rookie deals are no longer legal in the NFL as they are so one-sided against the players. Vince played his out with no complaints. He's an elite NT and a great clubhouse guy. It's time to reward the guy with a decent contract. Life is short as a 350+ pound NFL nose tackle.
    I'm 50/50 with your post Vinny.

I totally agree the Wilfork is an elite NT in the prime of his career.

Don't agree about "rewarding" him for an initial contract he signed, that was his choice.

What I do agree with however, is paying him what he is worth FOR FUTURE PRODUCTION on the open market. Whatever that number is, the Pats will either pay it or receive 2 1st round picks.

I'm hoping they come to an agreement, as Wilfork is the most single important player on the Pats roster behind Brady.

All Pro
    Sucks for 3-4 nose tackles that they get lumped in with all d tackles when they play such a huge role in their defense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I'm 50/50 with your post Vinny.

I totally agree the Wilfork is an elite NT in the prime of his career.

Don't agree about "rewarding" him for an initial contract he signed, that was his choice.

What I do agree with however, is paying him what he is worth FOR FUTURE PRODUCTION on the open market. Whatever that number is, the Pats will either pay it or receive 2 1st round picks.

I'm hoping they come to an agreement, as Wilfork is the most single important player on the Pats roster behind Brady.
    I agree. When I say reward him, I'm not saying he should be paid for past performance. I do think, however, that given his past performance and his expected near future, the Pats need to bend their ways of, as Moss said, not payin'. There are a few examples where losing "elite" players due to contract demands worked out for the Pats, there are others (Assante for one) where you wish they had just ponied up the cash. The real elephant in the room is Brady expires after next year, so they have to be concerned with setting any precedents. I agree that its hugely important the sign Wilfork. They can't afford to lose his talent and leadership.

All League
    How is a 1 year $7M contract with the chance of destroying your knee and have no future in the NFL not a slap in the face when someone else would give him a 5 year/$55M+, with like $25M guaranteed, contract without even thinking about it? He may be getting the current average of a top 5 player at his position, but we all know that we would want the Jets to pay him well more than $7M, if we didn't have Kris Jenkins.

Just because you don't have the talent to be a professional football player, and are therefore capped at a lot lower salary upside than him, making $7M set for life in your opinion, doesn't mean it's not a slap in the face to him. He probably owns a $4M+ house; which means After taxes, $7M probably won't even pay for his house; and if he doesn't own a $4M house, it's because he has been waiting for a long term contract to do so.
    Last edited by rep; 02-22-2010 at 07:12 PM.