Thread: Great quote abotu what Revis needed to do to win DPOY

Undrafted Free Agent

Great quote abotu what Revis needed to do to win DPOY

Great stuff from SI.com about a sportswriter who felt Revis got robbed for DPOY

3. I think I've always admired the work of Aaron Schatz of footballoutsiders.com, and I recommend his intelligent takes on pro football. Good example: Schatz posted his 2009 Football Outsiders awards the other day, and this was his line on Darrelle Revis winning FO's defensive player of the year in a rout over Charles Woodson, after the vote of 50 media members actually gave the NFL award in a rout to Woodson: "I'm not sure what the guy [Revis] had to do to actually win Defensive Player of the Year, maybe kill Randy Moss with his bare hands on national television while simultaneously picking off a Tom Brady pass using only his teeth.'' I wish I'd thought of that. Great work.

All Pro
    I understand why they gave it to Woodson with the all around stats but they still got it wrong. Revis wasn't allowed to attack the QB and these so called football experts should have been able to see who was the better defender regardless of stats. Stats are worthless if not put into the proper context.

All League
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    since fantasy football, stats mean everything.. i do feel that revis should have gotten dpoy, but what can you do... maybe not getting it last yr will piss him off and make him play that much better(if that is possible) and harder.

Goes to show how little people who don't see a player on a week to week basis know about that player.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    I understand why they gave it to Woodson with the all around stats but they still got it wrong. Revis wasn't allowed to attack the QB and these so called football experts should have been able to see who was the better defender regardless of stats. Stats are worthless if not put into the proper context.
    With a pash rush a deadly as ours, why would we need to unleash Revis?!?!?!?

;-)

All Pro
    LOL! Exactly! If Cromartie can half way live up to his potential then that will free up Revis to do other things. I just think it's ridiculous to fault him for shutting down half of a field and not rushing the passer!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    Revis was better than Woodson. These are the same idiots who gave the '03 mvp to manning AND mcnair even though manning's colts swept mcnair's titans and won the division.

and voted bellichick coach of the year in 2007 the same year he was accused of cheating basically since vcr was developed.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post
    Revis was better than Woodson. These are the same idiots who gave the '03 mvp to manning AND mcnair even though manning's colts swept mcnair's titans and won the division.

and voted bellichick coach of the year in 2007 the same year he was accused of cheating basically since vcr was developed.
    Great point, Revis got robbed without a doubt but when you have idiots like these guys its not suprising unfortunatly. I don't have all the answers but they need to make some changes on how the voting process works because its BS that they can rob a player like that who is CLEARLY more deserving.

All League
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    i have to agree with green jets & ham, the sports writers got that one wrong. by no means am i a jet fan... and i think revis got robbed.