Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I think it's clear that the New York Jets Understand the NFL Draft"

JetsInsider.com Legend

"I think it's clear that the New York Jets Understand the NFL Draft"

So, a very talented young Cornerback.

A position that could not be labeled as a "need" per se, right?

Well, I have to say I support this pick for the following reasons:

1. We did not have any glaring-must-pick-this-or-else needs. Our front office has been exceptional in attemopted to upgrade our team thsi offseason, adressing almost every position of need while facing the harsh limits imposed by the "Rule of 8". Safety is the closest thing to need as I see it, and should be able to be upgraded either later in the draft, in in post-draft and/or camp-cuts.

2. Pass Rush is (even post-Jason Taylor) a need....but Cornerback directly helps a teams pass rush. Better coverage in the secondary gives your linemen and backers that extra second or two to get their hands on a QB. It makes weaker players better, same as Ryans scheme designs and blitzing does. So this choice indirectly supports our weakness as QB rushing.

3. The player picked is widely cionsidered a better talent that the spot he was selected. In a league where choosing BAP is a luxury few teams enjoy, the abillity to select a kid who is considered better than the slot we got him is always a good value-based choice.

4. Cromartie may not be a long-term NY Jet. Having a talented young CB to work as the #3 CB behind Revis and Cro for at least one year, with the pressure of being relied on early as the #2, and gets him incredably vlaueble experience, whilst still testing him against legit NFL players ina vital-to-the-team role.

5. The "Super Unit" theory. The Jets can now (on paper) claim a partial "Super Unit" at DB. Revis/Cro/Wilson/Leonhard/Poole is a very very good D-backfield, and as said elsewhere, do not sleep on another improvemnt at Safety before the season starts. This unit has the on-paper potential to be dominant, and thats starting from the psoitiona s the NFL's #1 Passing D LAST year already.

On a related note......prime time NFL Draft is epic fail. The most UN-enjoyable Draft watching experience in many many years for me. I am sad this the rating will probably be amazing, so this experiment will become the norm. Really really preferred the Sat/Sun Draft as a fan.

All Pro
    Not a need?

What good are Revis and Cromartie against the Colts when Collie and Clark are picking us apart out of the slot?

In todays NFL, you need to go 3-strong at CB.

BPA + NEED = Great pick.

Veteran
    Love the title of the thread As a fan for over 25 years, it's great to see the turnaround this franchise has made.

All Pro
    You homers inflate the need to take a 1st round corner.. its called defensive scheming. NO team has 3 1st round calibre corners on their roster, and still manage to beat pass heavy teams like INDY

With that said, Wilson had to be the pick. clearly the BPA and allows us to play some really crazy blitz packages.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle In The Meadowlands View Post
    Love the title of the thread As a fan for over 25 years, it's great to see the turnaround this franchise has made.
    + 1, well done!

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miracle In The Meadowlands View Post
    I agree, great title, just missing a balding Mel Kiper, that guy will never lose his hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

1. We did not have any glaring-must-pick-this-or-else needs. Our front office has been exceptional in attemopted to upgrade our team thsi offseason, adressing almost every position of need while facing the harsh limits imposed by the "Rule of 8". Safety is the closest thing to need as I see it, and should be able to be upgraded either later in the draft, in in post-draft and/or camp-cuts.

2. Pass Rush is (even post-Jason Taylor) a need....but Cornerback directly helps a teams pass rush. Better coverage in the secondary gives your linemen and backers that extra second or two to get their hands on a QB. It makes weaker players better, same as Ryans scheme designs and blitzing does. So this choice indirectly supports our weakness as QB rushing.

3. The player picked is widely cionsidered a better talent that the spot he was selected. In a league where choosing BAP is a luxury few teams enjoy, the abillity to select a kid who is considered better than the slot we got him is always a good value-based choice.

4. Cromartie may not be a long-term NY Jet. Having a talented young CB to work as the #3 CB behind Revis and Cro for at least one year, with the pressure of being relied on early as the #2, and gets him incredably vlaueble experience, whilst still testing him against legit NFL players ina vital-to-the-team role.

5. The "Super Unit" theory. The Jets can now (on paper) claim a partial "Super Unit" at DB. Revis/Cro/Wilson/Leonhard/Poole is a very very good D-backfield, and as said elsewhere, do not sleep on another improvemnt at Safety before the season starts. This unit has the on-paper potential to be dominant, and thats starting from the psoitiona s the NFL's #1 Passing D LAST year already.

On a related note......prime time NFL Draft is epic fail. The most UN-enjoyable Draft watching experience in many many years for me. I am sad this the rating will probably be amazing, so this experiment will become the norm. Really really preferred the Sat/Sun Draft as a fan.
    All great points Warfish. I like the pick as well. Wilson is athletic, intelligent, tough, with leadership skills. Eastcoast guy who knows how to succeed on a big time level. It is scary to think how Rex will implement Wilson into the defense scheme...........Just a smart, quality pick...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    You homers inflate the need to take a 1st round corner.. its called defensive scheming. NO team has 3 1st round calibre corners on their roster, and still manage to beat pass heavy teams like INDY

With that said, Wilson had to be the pick. clearly the BPA and allows us to play some really crazy blitz packages.
    I don't think there was the pressing need to take the corner, but it fit right into our defensive scheme (should not have made it that far).

Hall Of Fame
    Anyone know who those Jets "fans" were that the camera focused on that were disappointed we got Wilson?

jeebus, every year we see these dopes. WTF?

(btw - good post War!)

Rookie
    Would have been great to see those two guys who were booing the Sanchez pick last year at the draft wearing his jersey.

Practice Squad
    Yeah, I hated this Thursday night format as well. Anyone who is a fan of the draft will keep draft weekend clear (I warn my wife every year). Heck, the year we drafted Keyshawn I went to a friend's wedding and the draft the same day! Never forgave the bride for doing that to me on draft day. Going to a "prime-time" format will only net the league so many casual draft fans. The weekend format allows for more of an "event" atmosphere; esp. with all of the activities outside Radio City that the league conducts.

As far as our "super unit" is concerned, I agree that it will help the pass rush. In fact, I think The Ghost would have had a sack last year, but the QB (don't remember who) just released the ball before Vernon got there. This group of corners makes me feel more confident should we face Peyton again.

Rookie
    Agree, CB to cover slot WR was huge need. See AFCCG. Love this pic.
    Hate this prime time draft. Was able to listen to it on the radio at work (2nd shift). So not a total loss.

All League
    Charter JI Member

I'd have to say I agree. There was nothing better than grilling out all day Saturday drinking beer eating brats and watching the draft. It was like a mini tailgate in April.

Last night I sat at a bar after work with a few buddies, all of us watching how much we drank because of work in the morning.

I'm sure the ratings were through the roof, but i'd take my Saturday afternoon/evening draft day back in a second.

Rookie

EXCELLENT Warfish and I TOTALLY agree on all accounts.

I LOVE this pick in so many ways!!

All Pro
    Its a crapshoot. The guy could suck for all we know. Lets wait until we see this guy play in the nfl before we go touting the Jets as the best drafting franchise around.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Its a crapshoot. The guy could suck for all we know. Lets wait until we see this guy play in the nfl before we go touting the Jets as the best drafting franchise around.
    1. No one is touting (or should be touting) the Jets as "the best drafting franchise around". This thread is expressive of my personal support for this singular pick, and was titled in a tongue-in-cheek lol for the historical slight against the Jets in Draft terms.

2. Of course he could suck. So could every other player drafted in this and every other draft. It's kinda like saying "that clear liquidy looking stuff could be water". It's something of a given. All we have to judge today is their resume to-date, and the opinions of those who know about them in greater detail than I do.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

Homers? You've been fighting with everyone BEFORE the draft about the need to take another CB. You may disagree, but the homer thing is totally unfounded - its not an after the fact POV - many people were thinking it beforehand. Why must you couch all your disagreements with name calling? Its cool to have different opinions, but you seem to think that anyone who has a different opinion than you is crazy.

As for the need, its interesting that the guys on ESPN were talking about the two most influential defensive minds in the NFL today being Rex and Greg Williams....both those guys took #3 CBs in the first round this year. The Saints are most certainly set at CB with Greer and Porter but, just like the Jets, they went out and got a third CB. Perhaps they know what they are doing as well - as do the Pats with their taking of yet another CB, despite having Butler, Springs, Bodden, Wilhiite and Wheatley on their roster currently.

All Pro
    Come on man! Do you think that none of us understand that your comment is true of EVERY draft pick. But for some reason you don't see cause to celebrate grabbing the highly rated Wilson well below where he was projected. You are so SOJ! Just sayin.
    Last edited by Dcat; 04-23-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Every player picked yesterday has the potential to suck... THANKS Cpt. Obvious!

The point is we got the #2 CB (some had him as #1) at the end of the first round and that is GREAT VALUE!

I agree with everything in this thread and would like to add 1 more piece.

Our return game stunk last year and Wilson can slide right into that roll on kickoffs and punts. That adds a lot to his value IMO. Return game is huge in those invisible yards that change field postion and doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Imagine our offense with shorter fields than we had to deal with all of last year.