Thread: Next Year's #1

All Pro

Next Year's #1

Hypothetical:
    We have a lot of money we need to tie up next year with Revis, D'Brick and Nick....
    Next's years draft is being called one of the weakest in years...
    This one is called one of the best in years....

To get some great depth players this year, for quite cheap, would you consider trading next year's first round pick?

Perfect suitor: Seattle.
    In the 4th round, they pick 6th and 29th.
    In the 5th round, they pick 2nd and 8th.

Before you scoff, imagine having three picks in the 4th round, and the high pick in the 2nd. We could also get (I'm sure), a second or third for next year.

and also think this with the three picks in 4 and one in 5:
    Arthur Jones
    Rashad Jones
    LaGarrette Blount
    Austin Lane

Thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    I'd be willing to trade next years number one (especially since there probably wont be any football next year)

but I would only do it with a team for a fourth this year and a second next year).

If it's a team that has a terrible season, we might even trade away the 32 and pick up the 33 plus an extra pick this year

All League
    Last year when we drafted Sanchez a lot of people were against the idea of trading up for a Qb. One of the reasons why was because the draft the following year was supposed to be particularly deep at the QB position.

Fast forward to this year and all i see is analysts calling this draft weak at the QB position. Perceptions change over time in the NFL and by the time next years draft comes it might not be called weak anymore.

Maybe you would have done a trade like this if the draft was still in the 2nd round but for 4th rounders, no way.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post

Maybe you would have done a trade like this if the draft was still in the 2nd round but for 4th rounders, no way.
    Not just for 4th rounders....2 4's, a 5, and a 2nd next year..

All League
    Uh, no. I know it's absolutely killing everyone that we haven't done a trade this draft, but it will be ok.

Hall Of Fame
    Last year when we drafted Sanchez a lot of people were against the idea of trading up for a Qb. One of the reasons why was because the draft the following year was supposed to be particularly deep at the QB position.

Fast forward to this year and all i see is analysts calling this draft weak at the QB position. Perceptions change over time in the NFL and by the time next years draft comes it might not be called weak anymore.

Actually I disagree a little....I think one of the reasons we did trade up for Sanchez was because the Jets knew this years QB class was weak. Plus Claussen was the only top prospect who was coming from a pro-style offense.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Hypothetical:
    We have a lot of money we need to tie up next year with Revis, D'Brick and Nick....
    Next's years draft is being called one of the weakest in years...
    This one is called one of the best in years....

To get some great depth players this year, for quite cheap, would you consider trading next year's first round pick?

Perfect suitor: Seattle.
    In the 4th round, they pick 6th and 29th.
    In the 5th round, they pick 2nd and 8th.

Before you scoff, imagine having three picks in the 4th round, and the high pick in the 2nd. We could also get (I'm sure), a second or third for next year.

and also think this with the three picks in 4 and one in 5:
    Arthur Jones
    Rashad Jones
    LaGarrette Blount
    Austin Lane

Thoughts?
    Yeah......I hope you aren't allowed to drive,don't have any guns in the house,and don't have kids.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Actually I disagree a little....I think one of the reasons we did trade up for Sanchez was because the Jets knew this years QB class was weak. Plus Claussen was the only top prospect who was coming from a pro-style offense.

The Jets probably did know. You're probably right about that but if you were here on Jetsinsider last year you would remember everyone talking about how strong the QB class would be in 2010.

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets probably did know. You're probably right about that but if you were here on Jetsinsider last year you would remember everyone talking about how strong the QB class would be in 2010.
    Thats why NONE of us are GMs in the NFL.......:

All League
    Don't make a trade for the sake of making a trade. If the Jets don't like anyone on the board next year, they trade down.

All Pro
    You never know what your needs next year are going to be. One injury could change the future of our franchise.

Keep next year's picks, we're not in a situation where our window of opportunity is closing this year. Jets are being built to be good for a long time to come, not just for one year.

All Pro
    Some people may have thought this year's QB class was going to be strong, but I had no idea why. I liked Sanchez and Stafford better than any of the QBs in this year's class. I thought Bradford's numbers were inflated by the offense he played in and the poor quality of defenses in the Big 12. Tebow never showed any signs that he'd be a quality NFL QB, and McCoy didn't have the arm. All 3 played in variations of the college spread, Tebow and McCoy in particular played in 2 read offenses and relied heavily on their legs. Clausen, who I liked the best out of the 4, hadn't emerged at the time. The people calling it a strong class hadn't taken the time to look into it.

With that said, next year's class is going to be a weak one because of all the underclassmen that declared for this year's. There will still be elite talent at the top of round 1, there always is, but there's not going to be a lot of value at the bottom of the first round. I'd at least think about it if we could get 2 4's, a 5, and a 2nd next year.