Thread: Sanchez and McKnight play a lot together at USC?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Sanchez and McKnight play a lot together at USC?

Just one year removed from the drafting of Sanchez we go back to the USC well for a RB. I don't follow USC all that much but how much influence might Sanchez have had here?

Did Mark play with Joe McKnight a lot in college?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4owbJy8rK0

Joe McKnight apperance at 4:50

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYjets105 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4owbJy8rK0

Joe McKnight apperance at 4:50
    LOL.

McKnight: "I wanna get mic'd up, dog"

Sanchez: "You guys hit too much to get mic'd up"

All Pro
    McKnight was the #1 guy during Mark's year at USC. I really like McKnight, but Stafon Johnson was always my favorite back on that team before he had that terrible accident. McKnight's best attribute is that he cruises at a high speed.

Undrafted Free Agent
    i have a feeling McKnight will have more receptions than carries this year......
    not as a slot but as a receiver out of the backfield
    the QB-RB connection is a very difficult one to get down pat....but from watching USC games you can tell Sanchez and McKnight are connected

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    McKnight was the #1 guy during Mark's year at USC. I really like McKnight, but Stafon Johnson was always my favorite back on that team before he had that terrible accident. McKnight's best attribute is that he cruises at a high speed.
    Does he return kicks?

Banned

SAR I

Banned

New York Jets rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez, right, has been on the Folsom Field sidelines multiple
    times to watch his best friend, Scotty McKnight, play for the Buffs. (Photo courtsey of the McKnight Family)

CU wide receiver Scotty McKnight and Mark Sanchez go fishing. (Photo courtsey of the McKnight Family)

CU receiver Scotty McKnight, right, his sister Shannon, and Mark Sanchez joke around at her wedding
    last summer. (Photo courtsey of the McKnight Family)

Looks like we drafted the wrong McKnight.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 04-28-2010 at 09:50 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

New York Jets rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez, right, has been on the Folsom Field sidelines multiple
    times to watch his best friend, Scotty McKnight, play for the Buffs. (Photo courtsey of the McKnight Family)

Looks like we drafted the wrong McKnight.

SAR I
    He'll be a Senior this season. Probably a Jets pick in 2011 if Mark has his way again.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Does he return kicks?
    He can return punts and kicks as could Kyle Wilson.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanInSec230 View Post
    He'll be a Senior this season. Probably a Jets pick in 2011 if Mark has his way again.
    "They grew up together in Southern California playing football, riding waves on boogie boards, flirting with girls, going to movies, celebrating birthdays and holidays and putting whoopee cushions on the seat before McKnight`s older sister, Shannon, sat down at the dinner table.

In the past nine months after Sanchez left the University of Southern California one year early and was drafted, he appeared on SportsCenter for simply attending a New York Yankees game. McKnight was there by his side chatting with Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez.

McKnight, who is poised to become Colorado`s all-time leading receiver early next season, remembers telling Sanchez, "Dude, I have to make a phenomenal catch to get a SportsCenter. All you have to do is go to a baseball game."

http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_1425...ce=most_viewed

Cool article. Required reading. Give Mark what he wants. A McKnight sandwich works for me.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 04-28-2010 at 09:56 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Does he return kicks?
    He probably could, but I don't remember him doing so at USC. CJ Gable handled kick returns, McKnight was the punt returner.

Practice Squad

GM Mike Tannenbaum consulted Mark Sanchez before Jets drafted running back Joe McKnig

GM Mike Tannenbaum consulted Mark Sanchez before Jets drafted running back Joe McKnight
    By Manish Mehta/The Star-Ledger
    April 27, 2010, 3:28PM
    Andrew Mills/The Star-LedgerMark Sanchez gave general manager Mike Tannenbaum his blessing on former USC teammate Joe McKnight

Before Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum decided to add another talented – but troubled – player, he consulted his franchise quarterback.

The general manager admitted that he spoke with Mark Sanchez before the Jets decided to make a move for USC running back Joe McKnight, a mercurial talent that left college amid controversy.

Sanchez, who played two seasons with McKnight, gave the Jets’ braintrust his seal of approval.

“I sat down with Mark and I said, ‘Shoot me straight: Is this a guy you want to go to war with?’” Tannenbaum said in a WFAN radio interview this morning. “He didn’t blink. There may have been some other guys at USC that he may have felt differently on. But not McKnight.”

“Mark thinks he’s a heck of a teammate,” added Tannenbaum, who also received Sanchez's blessing before making the deal for Santonio Holmes. “His tape’s compelling… Why he fell to the fourth round is hard to say.”

The Jets traded their fourth- (124th overall) and six-round (198th overall) picks to the Carolina Panthers to move up 12 spots and select McKnight, who carved out a solid career in three seasons. Although he never lived up to the astronomical – and unrealistic – hype of becoming the school’s next Reggie Bush, McKnight showed flashes of brilliance.

“I let it get to me at times,” McKnight said about the comparisons with Bush. “I just had to learn to just go with it… Just let it go. That’s how life is. People are going to compare you every day to somebody else if they see that in you. It’s just how you react afterwards.”

The 5-11, 198-pound running back’s explosive open-field skills – he rushed for 2,213 yards (6.4 ypc) with 13 touchdowns in 36 career games -- allowed Tannenbaum to ship Leon Washington to the Seahawks.

But the 22-year-old does come with some baggage.

McKnight was embroiled in controversy before forgoing his senior season to enter the draft. The NCAA has an open investigation surrounding alleged infractions stemming from McKnight’s use of a SUV registered to a Californian businessman in December.

NOTES:
    Tannenbaum maintained that Sanchez is still on schedule in his rehab from offseason knee surgery.

“He’s doing fine,” Tannenbaum said. “The whole time we had a very conservative rehab schedule. He’s on track. We’ll see how many throws he does in the OTAs and the minicamp. But we can’t kick him out of the building. He’s everything that we had hoped for. Rex said his No. 1 attribute in a quarterback was a gym rat. And that’s what we got. He’s been great.”

The general manager defended the team’s decision to cut Alan Faneca despite owing him $5.25 million in guaranteed money.

Faneca, a nine-time Pro Bowler, signed a one-year, $2.5 million contract with the Cardinals Tuesday. He'll be re-united with former Jets teammates Kerry Rhodes, who was traded last month, and Jay Feely, who signed as an unrestricted free agent earlier this month. Faneca will also be re-united with assistant head coach Russ Grimm, who was his offensive line coach with the Steelers.

Second-round pick Vladimir Ducasse will compete with second-year pro Matt Slauson for the Jets' vacant left guard spot.

“We wanted to go with the young guy,” Tannenbaum said. “Sometimes when you have older veterans in the league… (in) situations like this, you can stop progress (for the younger player)…. We’re going with Ducasse and we’re not going to look back.”

The loss of Faneca and Washington, two well-respected veterans in the lockerroom, raises legitimate questions about whether management's flurry of moves will adversely affect team chemistry.

“I’ve got a bunch of friends I talk to... they’re excited about the new players they have coming in, but they do have questions about how well they will gel with the new people in the locker room,” Washington said in a WFAN radio interview Tuesday afternoon. “I’m sure they’ll handle it, but at the same time, it takes continuity and it takes time to build relationships.”