Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else concernced with Defensive Line

Veteran

Anybody else concernced with Defensive Line

i though we would definitely address the defensive line at some point... we are really old from our starters standpoint....Jenkins Ellis Taylor Devito Pouha... we let go of Douglass and Green so at this point i am worried about the depth at that position... it would be nice to generate a pass rush with out front sometimes

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by gijet View Post
    i though we would definitely address the defensive line at some point... we are really old from our starters standpoint....Jenkins Ellis Taylor Devito Pouha... we let go of Douglass and Green so at this point i am worried about the depth at that position... it would be nice to generate a pass rush with out front sometimes
    No.

The roster we have right now is not our starting roster for the first week of September. There will be alot of tweaking to the roster between now and week one with UDFA's being brought in etc.

Ask this question again on August 31st.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Yeah, always concerned with the D line, that's where it all begins...

All Pro
    Not really. I would have been nice to find a young guy to come in and push the vets, but the overall depth of the line is just fine.

Next year they'll absolutely have to draft someone unless they bring in a FA.

Hopefully Ellis has a productive year left in the tank.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Not really. I would have been nice to find a young guy to come in and push the vets, but the overall depth of the line is just fine.

Next year they'll absolutely have to draft someone unless they bring in a FA.

Hopefully Ellis has a productive year left in the tank.
    I agree with you.

You have to believe that the Jets draft next year will be primarily targeting the defensive front 7 almost exclusively.

Veteran
    Pitoitua will step up and be a very solid DE

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I agree with you.

You have to believe that the Jets draft next year will be primarily targeting the defensive front 7 almost exclusively.
    With the way this team like to turn over the roster, there's no telling who will still be here and who won't be when the draft comes back around.

I'd like to think they focus on the front 7, but who knows.

All we've hear about the last few days how Rex doesn't value the DL in his scheme, how he will just try to get bye with JAGs. I don't buy that. He didn't ever have to get bye with JAGs in B'More. Trevor Pryce and Ngata are far from JAGs.

Hall Of Fame
    With the starters? Not really. Devito was excellent last year and there's no reason he can't step into the starting role alongside Ellis and Jenkins on the line, IMO.

Depth at 3-4 DE is a mild concern because of the Gholston experiment, and we really haven't seen that much of Pitoitua, but with Marques Douglas still sitting out there on Free Agency. I get the feeling that if Rex was concerned about it, that Douglas would be under contract shortly.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    With the starters? Not really. Devito was excellent last year and there's no reason he can't step into the starting role alongside Ellis and Jenkins on the line, IMO.

Depth at 3-4 DE is a mild concern because of the Gholston experiment, and we really haven't seen that much of Pitoitua, but with Marques Douglas still sitting out there on Free Agency. I get the feeling that if Rex was concerned about it, that Douglas would be under contract shortly.
    im worried about the depth not the starters.. .that being said our starters are old so i am worried about durability... i wanted to get somebody we could really subsitute with jenkins to keep him as fresh as possible

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    With the way this team like to turn over the roster, there's no telling who will still be here and who won't be when the draft comes back around.

I'd like to think they focus on the front 7, but who knows.

All we've hear about the last few days how Rex doesn't value the DL in his scheme, how he will just try to get bye with JAGs. I don't buy that. He didn't ever have to get bye with JAGs in B'More. Trevor Pryce and Ngata are far from JAGs.
    One or two more solid O-Lineman wouldn't hurt either but I still have to believe that next years draft will be primarily focusing on the defensive front 7 barring something really unforeseen happening.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gijet View Post
    im worried about the depth not the starters.. .that being said our starters are old so i am worried about durability... i wanted to get somebody we could really subsitute with jenkins to keep him as fresh as possible
    With the way Pouha stepped up last year in Jenkins absence, I don't see why he wouldn't be that substitute.

I can understand wanting youth, sure, but you can't address everything in one offseason. Ellis hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, nor has Jenkins when he's been on the field.

All Pro
    Maybe we should really consider bringing back Marques Douglas, because as it stands you have DeVito-Jenkins-Ellis as the starters and Pouha and Gholston as the top reserves, as Gholston is moving to fulltime DE, even though he is undersized for a 34 front. We need to bring in Douglas or another veteran, IMO, but of course we are restricted by the Final 8 rules. So, in short, bringing back Douglas would definitely make the most sense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Defensive Ends:

Ellis
    Devito
    Taylor
    Gholston

Nose Tackles:

Jenkins
    Pouha

Pouha and Devito played great last year, and there's no reason to think they can't do the same. We added THREE guys in the secondary who will play (Poole, Cromartie and Wilson), and Taylor up front who added 7 sacks last year. In our defense, with our blitz schemes, I wouldn't worry. Next year we're drafting a D-Lineman, definitely, and may pick one up before the season starts.

All Pro
    I've heard from many people that Rex doesn't like to draft D-linemen unless they are rare talents like Ngata. He feels those are the guys he can coach up. He likes to stockpile corners and outside backers. After we signed Taylor, he felt that we were set when it came to edge rushers. Taylor and Pace will both be on the field on passing downs. Rex was more concerned about the secondary than anything else.

Basically, don't expect us to ever spend draft picks on the DL unless someone who Rex is really high on falls to us. We may have taken Williams or Odrick, but after that, Rex was done when it came to linemen.

All Pro
    Devito, Ellis, Jenkins and Pouha are not jags, which they proved last year.

However, they are not enough, either. I expect we'll bring in another vet or two (has Marques Douglass signed anywhere yet?) and be active once training-camp cuts start happening.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Defensive Ends:

Ellis
    Devito
    Taylor
    Gholston

Nose Tackles:

Jenkins
    Pouha

Pouha and Devito played great last year, and there's no reason to think they can't do the same. We added THREE guys in the secondary who will play (Poole, Cromartie and Wilson), and Taylor up front who added 7 sacks last year. In our defense, with our blitz schemes, I wouldn't worry. Next year we're drafting a D-Lineman, definitely, and may pick one up before the season starts.
    Taylor isn't a DE in this D...He'll be an OLB...

You should put Pitoitua as DE

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I've heard from many people that Rex doesn't like to draft D-linemen unless they are rare talents like Ngata. He feels those are the guys he can coach up. He likes to stockpile corners and outside backers. After we signed Taylor, he felt that we were set when it came to edge rushers. Taylor and Pace will both be on the field on passing downs. Rex was more concerned about the secondary than anything else.

Basically, don't expect us to ever spend draft picks on the DL unless someone who Rex is really high on falls to us. We may have taken Williams or Odrick, but after that, Rex was done when it came to linemen.
    I feel so many of those 2nd tier D linemen are dime a dozen, How many have we drafted after round 1 over the years that havent amounted to anything? Boose, Wiltz, Alan Harper, Bill Terry. I can go on and on. I am w/ Rex on this.

All League
    Anybody else concernced with Defensive Line

Brady.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by LesterLyles View Post
    I feel so many of those 2nd tier D linemen are dime a dozen, How many have we drafted after round 1 over the years that havent amounted to anything? Boose, Wiltz, Alan Harper, Bill Terry. I can go on and on. I am w/ Rex on this.
    And then you have Klecko,Gastineau,Fergy,Abdul Salaam,Byrd,Philbin,Elliott and Biggs off the top of my head..All after rd 1.. The rd 1 picks were bigger busts..Abe,Lyons and Ellis (Who was a 1st and a 2nd pick) were the only good one's, but I'm with Rex also..

Since D-line is the position which Rex has the most expertise, I have no worries at all. Devito and Pouha took huge steps forward with just one season of coaching, and Jenkins, Ellis, Pitoutua, DeVito, Pouha, and Gholston, is actually a better group then we "thought" we had going into last season, when beyond Douglas, Ellis and Jenkins, we thought the cupboard was bare. I am certain the Jets will find additional depth from other teams cuts and/or undrafted players. After all, 1/3 of this group - Devito and Pitoitua - were undrafted free agents.