Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marques Douglas

Veteran

Marques Douglas

What are the chances that the Jets resign this guy? And why haven't they already? I thought he played well last year and I don't see why he couldn't perform at the same level for one more year. Thoughts?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

I'm pretty sure DeVito's penned in as the starter at RDE but Douglas wasn't bad last season and could be a decent depth player. Rex has mentioned that the Jets can't sign Brunell unless Douglas signs with another team (the final 8 rule), so I guess the Jets are in a wait and see mode for now.

Hall Of Fame
    I think the Jets just wanted to go younger, and give the job to Devito.

I didn't think he would be back at first, but considering it's May and he still doesn't have a job, perhaps he will be more receptive to coming back as a backup role now.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post

I didn't think he would be back at first, but considering it's May and he still doesn't have a job, perhaps he will be more receptive to coming back as a backup role now.
    He won't be back. The Jets are very high on Pitoitua also

Veteran

I don't think they want him back at all. They've already given out his # to his replacement: Matt Kroul.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by flgreen View Post
    I heard this last year too then he was inactive for 13 games. I havent' heard any coaches discuss this guy much at all, not sure where people hear they're high on him, link?

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not convinced they wouldn't prefer Douglas to guys like Pitoitua and Kroul who couldn't find their way onto the field last season (over guys like, you know, Douglas), nevermind the Gholston experiment suggests to me that they're not completely content at the position.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    I heard this last year too then he was inactive for 13 games. I havent' heard any coaches discuss this guy much at all, not sure where people hear they're high on him, link?

Go to nyjets.com and listen to any of Tannenbaumís last three presserís. In each of them he has mentioned Pitoitua as the reason they werenít going to draft a DE early in the Predraft one, and the reason they didnít draft a DE in both the post draft pressers

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I heard this last year too then he was inactive for 13 games.
    he actually was active for 8 games... inactive for 8.

Hall Of Fame
    Go to nyjets.com and listen to any of Tannenbaumís last three presserís. In each of them he has mentioned Pitoitua as the reason they werenít going to draft a DE early in the Predraft one, and the reason they didnít draft a DE in both the post draft pressers
    .....because Tannenbaum has never misled us?

Veteran
    .....because Tannenbaum has never misled us?

This year he has pulled the ultimate deception. He has misled us, by not misleading us.

Clearly there was no DL drafted, as he said, and they havenít signed anyone. Gholston was moved to DE in a desperation move. That was really a surrender by Rex. Just trying to get something out of Gholston.

At the time that move was made the Jets also restructured Gholstonís contract so that when he is released next year, there will be no cap hit.

Veteran
    Another thing to consider. The Jets brought Rod Wright in this offseason. I have no idea what he will bring to the table, but at one time was considered one of the best DEís in the country.

He had a series of misfortunes that put him out or football. He may be a plyer, or he might not be.

All Pro
    This year he has pulled the ultimate deception. He has misled us, by not misleading us.

Clearly there was no DL drafted, as he said, and they haven’t signed anyone. Gholston was moved to DE in a desperation move. That was really a surrender by Rex. Just trying to get something out of Gholston.

At the time that move was made the Jets also restructured Gholston’s contract so that when he is released next year, there will be no cap hit.
    On an SNY Draft Special Bradway and Clinskscales said that they were targeting some DLineman that either got drafted or value at another position fell to them. It was very clear that they were interested in D-Line.

Tanny talking up his current DLineman after a draft when he did not attain any new lineman is fairly transparent, isn't it?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    he actually was active for 8 games... inactive for 8.
    Yeah, didn't think anyone would actually check.

Still, how many snaps did this "highly touted" (and inactive half the season) player get?

Maybe even more impt is how many plays did he make that would give the coaches/fans a reason to believe there's something there?

Douglas was number 4 on the defense in tackles last year... By far had the most tackles of any defensive lineman as well.

It's amazing how little respect he gets throughout his career. We can improve over Douglas for sure, but finding those active big men who find ways to penetrate and makes tackles is a tough thing to do.

Hall Of Fame

Clearly there was no DL drafted, as he said, and they havenít signed anyone. Gholston was moved to DE in a desperation move. That was really a surrender by Rex. Just trying to get something out of Gholston.

At the time that move was made the Jets also restructured Gholstonís contract so that when he is released next year, there will be no cap hit.
    That's kinda my point.

We were so desperate for depth that we moved Gholston to DE, yet now we're supposedly so well stocked at the position (With guys who couldn't find their way on the field over Douglas last year, might I add) that we don't have a role for Douglas anymore? Really?

If Rex really thought that Pitoitua or Kroul or Gholston were better then Douglas, they would have gotten more playing time last year. Yet, aside from Ellis and Douglas, only Devito was trusted enough to play a significant amount of snaps at the position last year.

Veteran
    On an SNY Draft Special Bradway and Clinskscales said that they were targeting some DLineman that either got drafted or value at another position fell to them. It was very clear that they were interested in D-Line.

Tanny talking up his current DLineman after a draft when he did not attain any new lineman is fairly transparent, isn't it?
    Here's the Pre draft link http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/mult...ews-conference
    He said they werenít going to draft any DEís early, perhaps later because Rex had players already in the pipeline they were very happy with. He then went on to mention Pitoitua. They did what he said they would do. It seems pretty clear to me they werenít interested in any DEís

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/mult...ews-conference

Veteran
    That's kinda my point.

We were so desperate for depth that we moved Gholston to DE, yet now we're supposedly so well stocked at the position (With guys who couldn't find their way on the field over Douglas last year, might I add) that we don't have a role for Douglas anymore? Really?

If Rex really thought that Pitoitua or Kroul or Gholston were better then Douglas, they would have gotten more playing time last year. Yet, aside from Ellis and Douglas, only Devito was trusted enough to play a significant amount of snaps at the position last year.

Hereís my point. They havenít resigned Douglas, Donít seem to be interested in resigning Douglass. They only time I have seen him mentioned is that they couldnít do anything until someone else signed him.

Sounds like they are hoping someone else signs him, not that they should sign him.

All League
    so who do we have as DE's?

Pitititiouha
    Devito
    Pouha
    Ellis

who else?