Thread: Gary Myers tries to explain his vote for Cushing...Huh?

All League

Gary Myers tries to explain his vote for Cushing...Huh?

So he had the chance to do something about a "cheater" winning the award, but it's not his job to fix that...

Daily News' Gary Myers votes again for Brian Cushing, says positive test is NFL's mess to clean up

Edior's Note: Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing, who was suspended this week for testing positive for the banned substance human chorionic gonadotropin, was awarded the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Award in January, before voters knew of his positive test. He retained the award in a revote this week called by the Associated Press, which conducts the balloting, after his hCG use became public. Eighteen of 50 scribes voted again for Cushing, whose positive urine test was collected in September, raising questions about whether voters should have allowed Cushing to keep the award.
    Daily News NFL columnist Gary Myers was one of the writers who voted for Cushing to keep the award. He explains why.

I voted for Brian Cushing for defensive rookie of the year in January and didn't change my vote Wednesday when the AP asked us to vote again.
    In no way am I condoning Cushing's drug use, which is cheating, and which led to him getting suspended for next season's first four games for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs.
    But there is something wrong with him testing positive in September, the appeals process dragging through the season and beyond and the suspension not being handed down until last week. The fact is, the NFL put the AP panel in the untenable position of voting on Cushing when it knew he tested positive months earlier.
    Why should I clean up the NFL's mess?
    The AP should adopt a policy that automatically disqualifies players who test positive, even if the positive test is not made public until after the season. It must be a uniform policy.
    What happens if there is an appeal of a drug test going on right now for a player we voted first-team All-Pro. Do we vote again if he gets suspended?
    And isn't it a little hypocritical that Julius Peppers won the same award as Cushing in 2002 with the vote coming after he was suspended the final four games of the season for violating the same policy?
    I am against the use of anything on the NFL's banned list. Players are 100% responsible for what they put in their bodies.
    But the NFL created this mess with its never-ending appeals process. The NFL should be embarrassed that a cheater won this prestigious award. Maybe next time they won't keep the news to themselves.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/05/13/2010-05-13_why_news_myers_gave_lb_thumbs_up.html#ixzz0npco scEP

Veteran
    Perhaps Mr Myers should read the CBA. Itís the NFLPA that wants the appeals process in place, and the players to be protected until the appeals are over. NFL could care less

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I get his point, and think I agree with him. If I had a vote, I'm not sure what I would do in the re-vote, but its true that this system is absolutely ridiculous. If he tested positive in September, why should the appeals process extend until the offseason?

The fact remains that Cushing played and he was the best rookie. If it was announced that he failed a test during the season I'm sure he wouldn't have won the award. But, if the league wants to take this long, they are allowing him to compete for all the awards and accolades that are out there. If the Texans won the Super Bowl with Cushing, that would have counted, right?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Lots of players get "chemical help", including players on our favorite team. I've accepted that it's part of the game and probably always will be. What can the league do to stop it? Weekly blood testing is not a realistic option.

Veteran
    I agree with Gary Myers. Cushing should have been suspended the season in which he tested positive. Taking away an award that nobody even cares about just seems like an empty gesture to me.

Veteran
    I've met Gary Meyers several times, and I promise you that he's a complete douche.

All League
    I'm fine if he still wanted to vote for him, but then why do writers not want to vote McGuire into the hall? Not that I'm saying they should.

But by Gary's logic, I'm just going to base my hall of fame vote on the numbers that McGuire put up...it's not my problem that MLB didn't have their act together... am I off base?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    cmon... a linebacker that doesn't juice?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    I've met Gary Meyers several times, and I promise you that he's a complete douche.
    i could have told you that simply by looking at his picture.

Hall Of Fame
    The AP should adopt a policy that automatically disqualifies players who test positive, even if the positive test is not made public until after the season. It must be a uniform policy. - Gary Myers
    So you think they should adopt a policy to disqualify someone like Cushing, even if the positive test is not made public until after the season.

Yet, when they have the chance to re-vote, he refuses to strip him of the award he doesn't think he deserves by this statement above?

What a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by flgreen View Post
    Perhaps Mr Myers should read the CBA. Itís the NFLPA that wants the appeals process in place, and the players to be protected until the appeals are over. NFL could care less
    +1.
    I'm sure the NFL would change the appeals process if it could.
    And how Gary Myers views changing his vote as "cleaning up the NFL's mess" rather than "righting a wrong" based on the facts that were presented, shows me what kind of idiot he really is. The NFL should take his vote away.

Some writers treated the revote as a referendum on whether a player suspended for using PEDs should win DROY. Other writers treated it as referendum on the supposed slippery slope of precedent in taking away an award that had already been voted on.

It's a nice classroom debate, but aside from this singular case, it's not likely to be repeated. The AP is sure to adopt a written policy to account for this in the future.

On another note, I think Myers likes the idea of throwing rocks at the castle of the big, bad NFL. Makes him feel important. I feel like I have to wash my hands every time I read a column of his.

IntelligentJetsFan has had Myers well pegged for a while.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Lots of players get "chemical help", including players on our favorite team. I've accepted that it's part of the game and probably always will be. What can the league do to stop it? Weekly blood testing is not a realistic option.
    +1 It is what it is, unfortunatly.

Practice Squad
    What a stupid argument. By his actions - and alll of his ignorant friends who voted the same way - Myers certainly did condone juicing and he better never whine about it again in his column, although he is a ridiculous hypocrite anyway. They had a chance to make a statement and couldn't even follow through. Also, we all know many players juice and I'm tired of hearing how it was caused by cold medicine or some other lame excuse. You got caught, deal with it, now figure out some other way to mask it.