Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Instead of Banking on Brunell to be our back up...

Practice Squad

Instead of Banking on Brunell to be our back up...

We should look at some of our young quarterbacks

great thread.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Clemens is as good as gone IMO. There's really no sense in him sticking around. He's had four years to prove his worth and to this point he hasn't even shown the ability to be a reliable backup.

I'd be in favor of signing Brunell to a 1 year deal. A guy who has had success in the past, is a pretty smart guy with coaching aspirations, and has no problem accepting a backup role to a young QB.

1. Sanchez
    2. Brunell
    3. Ainge

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... instead of starting this thread ... you should have used it as a counterpoint in the brunell thread ...

... incidentally, i disagree with you ...

l_j_r

Practice Squad
    i suddenly have a craving for a bloomin onion.

All League
    Mark Brunell dismisses this thread...

Brunell would offer invaluable experience to Sanchez that no other QB on this roster could provide, he was drafted in 1993!! and was just part of a SB championship team and has a TD-INT ratio of 182-107.

It's about developing Sanchez and this move would give him a coach in pads.

Come mid-July, he's a Jet.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post

Brunell would offer invaluable experience to Sanchez that no other QB on this roster could provide, he was drafted in 1993!! and was just part of a SB championship team and has a TD-INT ratio of 182-107.

That would be the ONLY reason to bring him in.

Help out Sanchez, coach in pads, etc. Thats fine, but would NOT want him on the field.

Rather have Ainge or even Clemens see the field before a 40+ year old Mark Brunell, the guy is finished IMO his arm is done, plus if Sanchez goes down for an extended period of time (5+ games) Brunell isnt saving our season anyways, we have a better chance of Ainge or Clemens winning us a game or two than Brunell IMO.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post

Agreed

Brunell has already gone on record saying that he would like to get into coaching. He's the perfect short term backup IMO, well not perfect, but a pretty viable solution none the less.

A guy who is willing to take the backseat, was a damn good QB in his heyday, has aspirations of being a coach (meaning he'll have no problem with giving pointers to Sanchez), and even if by some chance Sanchez goes down for a short period (God forbid) then I don't mind Brunell in a gamemanaging role throwing 15 passes a game. I'd certainly be more comfortable with Brunell than I would be with Clemens or Ainge, especially Clemens.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    the Jets already have a young QB to develop his name is Mark Sanchez.

how much time can Schotty and the offensive skill staff devote to QB player development outside of Sanchez? even then they won't play so they won't get experience.

Clemmy sucks, o'connell could be decent, ainge also has good skills... but all these guys are young bucks who want Mark's job not to help him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by EL Shepherd View Post
    Its about time someone stepped up and said this. We should look at them.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Its about time someone stepped up and said this. We should look at them.
    ... i'm totally good with giving the non clemens kids a good run now & during training camp to see if either merits being the 2011 #2 ...

... certainly not more than glance at them riding the 3rd string pine when the games count after that though for 2010 because ...

... if we are building for a run ... as it seems we are in 2010 ... a big fat ? at #2 qb is not the answer ...

... a vet who has been there, done that, and lost 5 & 1/2 steps still gives us a better chance to go 3-1 or 2-2 if the backup has to come in for a month ...

... losing sanchez anything more than a month and it won't matter anyway ... at that point go ahead and stick the neophytes in if you want ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    we have two nice backups to Sanchez, Ainge and O'Connell

we also have a plethora of quarterback mentors in Schottenheimer, Cavanaugh and probably others.

We don't need to pay NFL Veteran money for a new assistant coach who is washed up and not as good as our two young backups

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the Jets already have a young QB to develop his name is Mark Sanchez.

how much time can Schotty and the offensive skill staff devote to QB player development outside of Sanchez? even then they won't play so they won't get experience.

Clemmy sucks, o'connell could be decent, ainge also has good skills... but all these guys are young bucks who want Mark's job not to help him.
    Great argument and totaly agree. Supported Clem and now face reality he is not an answer. If you expect to continue a run if Mark goes down a vet like Brunell is and should be option 1, if you belive the Jets should thow in the towel O'connel or Ainge should be. Myself I would prefer someone with experience if not Brunnell another experienced vet,but not a late camp or in season pickup who would have to learn a system on the fly.

All League
    AINGE IS THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!

Ainge sucks

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    Great argument and totaly agree. Supported Clem and now face reality he is not an answer. If you expect to continue a run if Mark goes down a vet like Brunell is and should be option 1, if you belive the Jets should thow in the towel O'connel or Ainge should be. Myself I would prefer someone with experience if not Brunnell another experienced vet,but not a late camp or in season pickup who would have to learn a system on the fly.
    Vinnie! Kidding, but do agree that a vet somewhere on the QB backup roster is a must.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    If you want to sign Brunell - sign him as a QB's coach - I would not sign him as a player.

QB depth chart - Sanchez, Ainge, O'Connell

We need to cut Clemens.

I had very high hopes for this kid we drafted him but I could not have been more wrong.

It's time to face the facts - Clemens is a total bust.

It's time to cut ties with him, he is a total waste of a roster spot in my opinion.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-30-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

QB's taken in the 2nd round aren't "total busts".

No matter how pissed you are that your guy didn't pan out.

If the coaching staff thinks that Sanchez would benefit having a "player coach" type QB on the roster, I'm not going to argue with them. I thought he needed one last year and that having one would have given him somewhere to turn when things got tough.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-30-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Clemens is as good as gone IMO. There's really no sense in him sticking around. He's had four years to prove his worth and to this point he hasn't even shown the ability to be a reliable backup.

I'd be in favor of signing Brunell to a 1 year deal. A guy who has had success in the past, is a pretty smart guy with coaching aspirations, and has no problem accepting a backup role to a young QB.

1. Sanchez
    2. Brunell
    3. Ainge
    Dude you are crazy.

We have the next Brett Favre (Kellen Clemens).

The next Peyton Manning (Ainge).

And the next Tom Brady (O'Connell).

Those three guys are so good we should actually hope for Sanchez to get a season ending injury so we can show off these studs to the rest of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by EL Shepherd View Post
    i'm going to cook and eat that rat in your picture