Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: More on the D達rickashaw deal, and the Jets' big picture

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,792

    More on the D達rickashaw deal, and the Jets' big picture

    More on the D’Brickashaw Ferguson deal, and the Jets' big picture

    Published: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 11:00 AM Updated: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 11:48 AM

    Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

    Since left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson signed his new deal last week -- a six-year, $60 million extension that will keep him with the Jets through 2017 -- it has been a talking point.

    The numbers officially went on the books yesterday (ProFootballTalk first obtained a copy of the contract last week). Here’s a full breakdown and our second look at the deal, as well as the big picture:

    Signing Bonus: $1.6 million
    Option Bonus: $3.9 million (in the next league year)
    Roster Bonus (due yesterday): $3.092 million

    Base Salaries:
    2010 $630,000
    2011 $5.615 million (guaranteed for skill only if on roster Feb. 15, 2011)
    2012 $9.985 million (guaranteed for skill only if on roster Feb. 15, 2011)
    2013 $7.25 million (guaranteed for skill only*)
    2014 $5.95 million
    2015 $5.95 million
    2016 $8.625 million
    2017 $11.275 million

    *If he is on the roster at some date in the future; haven’t confirmed if this is Feb. 2011 or Feb. 2012.

    Other Bonuses:

    $750k workout bonus each year from 2011 through 2017 ($500k was already earned in 2010); $1 million training camp completion bonus each year from 2014 through 2017

    These numbers add up to the total value of $73.6 million over eight years that was reported last week. Additional incentives -- reported by PFT last week to be special-teams triggers that are essentially unattainable -- don’t appear to have been included in the total reported value of the deal.

    Ferguson will make more this year than if had he not signed his new deal. In addition to the workout bonus already earned, he will now be paid $5.3 million in 2010, a bump from the $3.1 base salary he was slated to make.

    His rookie deal had an option for 2011 of the greater of $10 million or the franchise tag, though the team may not have let him play for that salary next year had he not struck a new deal this summer. In the worst-case scenario of Ferguson suffering a career-ending injury this year, the Jets would not have picked up the option.

    There is a gamble involved with the so-called rolling guarantees in this deal. The only up-front and fully guaranteed money is a small portion of the reported $34.8 million in guarantees; the rest of those guarantees trigger after a period of months during which an injury could happen, and those guarantees are just for skill and not for injury. If Ferguson does make it to certain checkpoints without catastrophic injuries, though, he will lock in more of the money.

    Only money that is guaranteed fully and up front can be relied on, so the more of that there is in a contract, the safer and more appealing it is. But contracts with rolling guarantees, involving guarantees for either injury or skill but not both, seem to be the approach the Jets are committed to in this uncapped year.

    Teams in general don’t like to load a lot of money into the signing bonus, and with the possibility of no football in 2011, this approach is one way to keep spending down in this final league year.

    There might be more to it. There is a rule in the CBA that seems to limit the amount of fully guaranteed money teams close to or at the 2009 salary cap can dole out in renegotiations or extensions this year. In other words, teams need to have cap room left at the end of 2009 to absorb any reallocations of fully guaranteed money, or else face a penalty. The NFL Players Association primer on negotiating in the uncapped year explains this applies to renegotiations or extensions of existing 2009 contracts, but not “new” contracts negotiated in 2010.

    According to a person with direct knowledge of the Jets’ approach to negotiations in the uncapped year, this rule is a factor for them -- and the team believes any renegotiation/extension for the “core four” this summer needs to have rolling guarantees like Ferguson’s, involving guarantees for either skill or injury but not both. The person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for the team.

    Within this template, Ferguson may have picked the rolling guarantees for skill with the idea that he would take out injury insurance policies.

    What that means in negotiations for the other players – cornerback Darrelle Revis, center Nick Mangold and linebacker David Harris – remains to be seen. Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum has said he doesn’t think it is realistic for four long-term deals to get done this year.

    Mangold and Harris are hampered by the 30 percent rule limiting raises on renegotiations and extensions entered into in the uncapped year, and it seems like contract talks for one or both will be shelved until after 2010.

    Revis is a different matter, because he has said the team promised him a new deal before training camp. Tannenbaum opened negotiations with the All-Pro player this offseason, calling it “the right thing to do.”

    The proposals the team has made so far have not included any fully guaranteed money, Revis has said (meaning there are guarantees for injury or skill but not both, and no signing bonus, we can infer). Revis won't sign without fully guaranteed money and, on the other end, it appears the Jets are not prepared to offer much, or any.

    This speaks to the impasse which has not lifted this summer.

    If Revis does not get a new deal before the season, he’ll be compensated $1 million in 2010, in line to rank behind six other defensive backs on the team this year – Antonio Cromartie, Jim Leonhard, Brodney Pool, Eric Smith, Drew Coleman and first-round pick Kyle Wilson (if you include the signing bonus Wilson is in line to receive). The last two years of Revis' rookie deal are voidable after this season based on playing-time incentives reached, and the team would have the chance to buy them back for a fully guaranteed $20 million.

    * * *
    The Jets yesterday waived DT Simi Toeaina, an undrafted rookie from Oregon. The team has room to sign Wilson as well as one more player, possibly quarterback Mark Brunell when the Final Eight rules lift on July 22.

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...aw_fergus.html

  2. #2
    hopefully he realizes what deal he signed and doesn't threaten to hold out like 90% of the players nowadays

  3. #3
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,261

    The proposals the team has made so far have not included any fully guaranteed money, Revis has said (meaning there are guarantees for injury or skill but not both, and no signing bonus, we can infer). Revis won't sign without fully guaranteed money and, on the other end, it appears the Jets are not prepared to offer much, or any.
    Ahem. Paging Jet Nut.

  4. #4
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Ahem. Paging Jet Nut.
    Keep in mind the phrase "What Revis has said". We really don't know what the proposal is/was. And, its a negotiation....the Jets made an offer - two of them, in fact. Do we know what Revis's counter proposal was? Did he make one?

    There's a lot we don't know. What we do know is that the Jets have managed to get a deal done with D'Brick, despite the fact that he has two years still left on his deal. They did it in a manner that benefits both parties. And that's whats going to have to happen in order to get a deal done with Revis - both parties will have to compromise in order for both parties to benefit.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,261
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Keep in mind the phrase "What Revis has said". We really don't know what the proposal is/was. And, its a negotiation....the Jets made an offer - two of them, in fact. Do we know what Revis's counter proposal was? Did he make one?

    There's a lot we don't know. What we do know is that the Jets have managed to get a deal done with D'Brick, despite the fact that he has two years still left on his deal. They did it in a manner that benefits both parties. And that's whats going to have to happen in order to get a deal done with Revis - both parties will have to compromise in order for both parties to benefit.
    I believe him. It would take a certain type of person to repeatedly bold-face lie like that to millions of people, and then hope you don't get called on it. And the fact that D'Brick was offered an extension with no fully guaranteed money (except his 2010 salary) bolsters his claim. If the Jets offered Revis a substantial amount of fully guaranteed money it would've been leaked by now.

    It looks like the Jets plan, until the new CBA is reached, is to offer these type of deals. That's their prerogative. Problem is that Revis and Mangold won't be accepting them.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I believe him. It would take a certain type of person to repeatedly bold-face lie like that to millions of people, and then hope you don't get called on it. And the fact that D'Brick was offered an extension with no fully guaranteed money (except his 2010 salary) bolsters his claim. If the Jets offered Revis a substantial amount of fully guaranteed money it would've been leaked by now.

    It looks like the Jets plan, until the new CBA is reached, is to offer these type of deals. That's their prerogative. Problem is that Revis and Mangold won't be accepting them.
    Why did Revis say it and not his agents?? I think players shouldn't comment on contracts.What do they pay their agents for?? You have to respect the way Brick and Harris have acted..

  7. #7
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I believe him. It would take a certain type of person to repeatedly bold-face lie like that to millions of people, and then hope you don't get called on it. And the fact that D'Brick was offered an extension with no fully guaranteed money (except his 2010 salary) bolsters his claim. If the Jets offered Revis a substantial amount of fully guaranteed money it would've been leaked by now.

    It looks like the Jets plan, until the new CBA is reached, is to offer these type of deals. That's their prerogative. Problem is that Revis and Mangold won't be accepting them.
    If that's the case, fine. Let him play out the year under his original deal. But, if Revis came back to the Jets and said "What's most important to me isn't some intangible title of 'Most Highly Paid CB'....its security for my family, lets work something out", I'm guessing (although I have no way of knowing for sure) that the Jets would give a good deal of money upfront, in exchange for reasonable salaries down the road.

    Also, Revis didn't come out and break down what the contract offer was. When you say you "believe him" you are believing a sound byte - something specifically tailored to further his cause. Its like looking at the cover of a book and figuring out what the stories' about. We really have no idea what those deals really encompassed.
    Last edited by crasherino; 07-13-2010 at 02:15 PM.

  8. #8
    "There might be more to it. There is a rule in the CBA that seems to limit the amount of fully guaranteed money teams close to or at the 2009 salary cap can dole out in renegotiations or extensions this year. In other words, teams need to have cap room left at the end of 2009 to absorb any reallocations of fully guaranteed money, or else face a penalty. The NFL Players Association primer on negotiating in the uncapped year explains this applies to renegotiations or extensions of existing 2009 contracts, but not 渡ew contracts negotiated in 2010."

    This is the one thing Ive been talking about since the Revis story broke and I think it confirms it. Unless you had a fully guaranteed deal in 2009 you cant be fully guaranteed in the future. I was not sure of how it would be handled, but one of my thoughts was back allocation of the cap figures and it looks like that is the way it works except only to 2009.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Not Scout
    Posts
    14,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    "There might be more to it. There is a rule in the CBA that seems to limit the amount of fully guaranteed money teams close to or at the 2009 salary cap can dole out in renegotiations or extensions this year. In other words, teams need to have cap room left at the end of 2009 to absorb any reallocations of fully guaranteed money, or else face a penalty. The NFL Players Association primer on negotiating in the uncapped year explains this applies to renegotiations or extensions of existing 2009 contracts, but not 渡ew contracts negotiated in 2010."

    This is the one thing Ive been talking about since the Revis story broke and I think it confirms it. Unless you had a fully guaranteed deal in 2009 you cant be fully guaranteed in the future. I was not sure of how it would be handled, but one of my thoughts was back allocation of the cap figures and it looks like that is the way it works except only to 2009.
    So Revis cannot be guaranteed a large sum of money then? If so, I'm sure he must know this... Bottom line is he has 3 years left on his contract and he needs to back off that stupid Aso deal.

  10. #10
    the piece explains why teams have not been going whole hog signing players to stupid contracts. they are still essentially bound to 2009's salary cap and as a result the future contracts will suffer. d'brick got a decent deal however, i don't understand why any player would lock into a long term contract. 3 maybe 4 years max should be the norm because if they are any good they will be able to get a better contract. brick may be well paid at present but 4 years from now he may be in the second tier.

    as for revis, it sounds like he will lose the guaranteed contract if he signs a new one. i'm sure he is plenty po'ed because he is playing for a piddling 1M this season. the jets could offer a bonus if the rules allow. or maybe he could take a personal assistant job for 4 M per year. that should even things out a bit.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    the piece explains why teams have not been going whole hog signing players to stupid contracts. they are still essentially bound to 2009's salary cap and as a result the future contracts will suffer. d'brick got a decent deal however, i don't understand why any player would lock into a long term contract. 3 maybe 4 years max should be the norm because if they are any good they will be able to get a better contract. brick may be well paid at present but 4 years from now he may be in the second tier.

    as for revis, it sounds like he will lose the guaranteed contract if he signs a new one. i'm sure he is plenty po'ed because he is playing for a piddling 1M this season. the jets could offer a bonus if the rules allow. or maybe he could take a personal assistant job for 4 M per year. that should even things out a bit.
    Its just people's mentality, some people roll the dice and want the most they can get and some rather take less money but for longer security. It happens in all walks of life.

    Im sure there are cops,fireman,union workers,garbage men, teachers, etc, that had other skills that could have made them more money IF they fufilled there potential but instead took the guarenteed type of job they knew they could live a good life, raise there family health benefits and great retirement, instead of risking it. Think of it on a bigger scale when it comes to athletes some want the biggest bucks possible and some want long term security financially and dont want to uproot there lives and family every 5 years to chase every last dollar

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us