Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Revis wants to retire a jet

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mass
    Posts
    489

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    19,106
    Good, now drop the A$o demands.

  3. #3
    now it would be a problem if he said he didn't

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Good, now drop the A$o demands.
    lol..maybe you are right

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    864
    Of course he does - as long as the Jets pay him $1 more than the next team.

    I can't take the Revis nonsense anymore.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,382
    Revis, you do have a choice to take $10-12 million a year (and not cripple the team) as opposed to $16-17 million.

    Oh but wait, how would he feed his family?

  7. #7
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post

    Oh but wait, how would he feed his family?
    I can't believe these guys still use this line. Wake up!!!!

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Posts
    7,824
    Mods... please change the title of the thread to...

    "Revis wants to retire a Jet... as long as they are willing to mortgage the future on him... because 11 mil is just not enough money to put food on his table"


  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,774
    Revis wants to retire a Jet or retire the Jets???? Let's go darrelle, settle up.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,354
    Quote Originally Posted by LV2 View Post
    I can't believe these guys still use this line. Wake up!!!!
    Listen, the "feed my family" line is really tired and mis-used by all professional athletes. There's no denying that. But if it was rephrased to:

    "I need to make sure that my immediate family, distant family, and future generations all benefit as much as possible from my God-given ability to earn a lot of money in this profession..."

    Would it be taken differently then? It should, because when you're blessed to be able to come into a ton of money you should absolutely try to take care of as many people as possible in your bloodline. I'd like to think that this is what these athletes are referring to and poorly communicating. It's not about eating dinner, it's about financial stability for their nuclear family, their parents, their grandchildren, and their 3rd-freakin cousins. They have the right to want to take care of the entire family tree, and some of these guys are the sole source of meaningful income in that tree.

    If Revis can get an extra $3 million a year out of the Jets, then that's $15-20 million over the life of his contract that will sustain his family for generations. He absolutely should try to get that. What we as fans should hope is that if Tannenbaum balks at the extra $3 million, Revis caves and decides that he will have to live with the millions that are offered. I expect that he will and hope that this is all just negotiation tactics to get as much loot as possible.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,945
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Revis, you do have a choice to take $10-12 million a year (and not cripple the team) as opposed to $16-17 million.

    Oh but wait, how would he feed his family?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STXco...eature=related

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    I wonder if Revis would say he wanted to retire a Jet if he could negiotate a new deal with teams other than the Jets?

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    i dont see any reason why Revis should be paid the same as Dunta Robinson. he's better than that.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,079
    This is all PR nonsense by Revis' camp.

    Funny how whenever a player gets into a contract squabble with a team he publicly professes his love for the team and says he wants to be there forever but would be willing to sign with another team at a moment's notice.

    Further, it's interesting that Revis's camp leaks stories last week/2weeks about him holding out and not worrying about the loss of guaranteed money, then the Jets leak the "reallocation problem" story (which makes the Jets look good), and now Revis says he wants to retire a Jet.

    All PR nonsense. Every last bit of it.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,079
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i dont see any reason why Revis should be paid the same as Dunta Robinson. he's better than that.
    Except for the fact that this is what he agreed to?

    I don't begrudge any player trying to get more money, but it's disingenuous to argue that a player making money in a specific year is "underpaid" when he was paid at a higher amount in another year.

    It's the byproduct of the uneven salary system in the NFL. Players do not get paid every year the per year average of their contracts.

  16. #16
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Except for the fact that this is what he agreed to?

    I don't begrudge any player trying to get more money, but it's disingenuous to argue that a player making money in a specific year is "underpaid" when he was paid at a higher amount in another year.

    It's the byproduct of the uneven salary system in the NFL. Players do not get paid every year the per year average of their contracts.
    +1. Do organizations ask for money back when a player does not perform up to expectations? How quickly everyone forgets the defensive backfields rankings under Mangini. Despite REvis's talents, he is and remains a by product of Rex's system. If he wants to retire a Jet, he can start by honoring the contract he signed with the JETS.

    I am 27 YO have been a Jets fan my whole life and know that locking up a CB (argueably the most talented Jet I have seen in my lifetime) at a salary that would put us in salary cap hell for the forseeable future is not what needs to be done. I applaud Tanny for drawing a line in the sand and not caving into the pressure (no matter how ridiculous) being applied by Revis, his pr team, other athletes within the sport, some fans, and the media in general. If you want to root for a team that overpays players at skilled positions try the Raiders and Redskins. If Revis really wants to retire as a Jet he knows how he can start.

  17. #17
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedy fried Toon View Post
    at a salary that would put us in salary cap hell for the forseeable future
    there is no cap.

    by the way non-guarunteed dunta money is what the Jets offered. Not what he's guaranteed now.

    If I understand Jason's most recent posts, revis is guaranteed maybe 6M per year for the duration of the existing contract.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,932
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    This is all PR nonsense by Revis' camp.

    Funny how whenever a player gets into a contract squabble with a team he publicly professes his love for the team and says he wants to be there forever but would be willing to sign with another team at a moment's notice.

    Further, it's interesting that Revis's camp leaks stories last week/2weeks about him holding out and not worrying about the loss of guaranteed money, then the Jets leak the "reallocation problem" story (which makes the Jets look good), and now Revis says he wants to retire a Jet.

    All PR nonsense. Every last bit of it.
    It's all PR. From the Jets as well as Revis. It's part of the game, you can get worked up about it, or you don't. I don't see it as being an issue until camp starts. Until then it's nothing more than posturing

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    11,174
    The Revis publicity team simply has to get a story out there each and every day no matter what. This one here, the practicing in Arizona one yesterday, he may not come to training camp next month and then again maybe he will come to trainig camp next month.

    This daily dose of Revis crap was old four weeks ago and it isn't any fresher today.

    Shut... the... f&*(... Up... Darrelle... Revis...

    Or, really if you want to make news and retire as a Jet then....... retire. Wish fulfilled.

    Did I remember mention that he should Shut... the... f&*(... Up... ?

  20. #20
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    there is no cap.

    by the way non-guarunteed dunta money is what the Jets offered. Not what he's guaranteed now.

    If I understand Jason's most recent posts, revis is guaranteed maybe 6M per year for the duration of the existing contract.
    For the time being. By most accounts, the salary cap will be back per the owners demands. If the players dont like it they can take their half assed university education and become just another percentage in the unemployment rate.

    I understand this. Let him chose skill or injury if he wants guaranteed money. No way do you let him have both.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us