Thread: Kyle Wilson- thinking championship

Hall Of Fame

Kyle Wilson- thinking championship

Piscataway product Kyle Wilson thinking championship with Jets
    Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

With just a few dozen hours until the rookie bus would leave for Cortland, N.Y., Kyle Wilson slipped away to the place where he had once felt on top of the football world.

Inside Piscataway High School, above a row of yellow lockers, his framed portrait is fastened to the “Hall of Fame.” On the turf field outdoors, he had helped his black-and-gold alma mater to a state title eight years ago. They won another the next year, and then the next.

If the Jets’ first-round pick needed a reminder of the rush of a championship — the unwavering mission of his new team — he had come to the right spot.

“It’s something I know very well,” Wilson said on a muggy evening last week. “It’s definitely the direction of the Jets. That’s really the only goal out there.”

And as the Jets take aim at the Super Bowl XLV podium in February, Wilson, who signed his rookie contract Saturday night, will have an important part.

Anointed the nickel cornerback the day he was drafted, the Piscataway native will patrol the slot this season in a secondary anchored by All-Pro Darrelle Revis and anticipated to be one of the best in the league. To do so, of course, they’ll need to have all their pieces in place — particularly Revis, whose unresolved contract situation could spur him to hold out when training camp begins today.

The Jets were best in the league in pass defense last year, but the Super Bowl quest is a major reason Wilson is now with them. More precisely, it has to do with falling one game short of the Super Bowl last season, after colliding with Peyton Manning’s pass attack in Indianapolis in January.

“A lot of it stemmed from last year’s championship game,” defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman said. “We saw in the second half we were probably not as talented as we needed to be as a secondary, and we needed to upgrade.”

The Jets added Antonio Cromartie and Brodney Pool, before snatching Wilson with the 29th pick of April’s draft.

Thurman, whose coaching résumé includes Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed and Revis, coveted Wilson ever since seeing tape of the first game of his senior season at Boise State. He’s an excellent man-to-man player, an ideal fit in a defense that thrives on cornerbacks challenging one-on-one.

Wilson lasted longer in the draft than most expected — past three other cornerbacks, including Rutgers’ Devin McCourty, taken by New England two slots earlier. But Thurman says he jumped “two feet in the air” when they got their man.

Wilson, meanwhile, received the call about 30 miles away in the basement of his parents’ Piscataway home, where framed team photos and game-worn “Wilson” jerseys cloak the walls like wallpaper.

Kyle Wilson parents Gerry CarrieStar-Ledger file photoThis is a copy photo of Kyle Wilson with his parents Gerry and Carrie after his first Fiesta Bowl with Boise State in 2007.

“Even now, coming into the season, he still wants to be the first cornerback picked in his class,” said his older brother and business manager, Gerry Wilson, a former Princeton cornerback. “I think that will play out in how the season progresses, because he still has a lot to prove.”

The youngest of three brothers and recruited only spottily out of high school, Wilson understands doing so. He arrived at Florham Park with an all-business attitude, earning a fast reputation as very serious and very quiet.

His father, also named Gerry, is a mental health clinician who emigrated from Trinidad and Tobago. His mother, Carrie, spent years as a middle school math teacher in Hempstead, N.Y. — oddly enough, the former site of the Jets headquarters.

They raised him to take every opportunity as if another one might not come along, and to have a special level of discipline at age 23. He kept a tidy apartment in college, shoes always off at the door and nary a stray fork in the kitchen. He plans to earn his master’s degree after his playing days, as every other member of his immediate family has done.

His focus now is locked on mastering the Jets’ defense. Thurman says he rarely has to tell Wilson something twice. The next step is taking that work to the field, where the veteran receivers are schooling him on playing inside, without the leverage of the sideline.

“The first couple weeks, I just wanted to give him every look possible, try to get his wheels turning a little bit,” teammate Jerricho Cotchery said. “He’s becoming tough.”

Wilson has always seemed to have a knack for winning. At Piscataway, well before he and teammates Anthony Davis and Malcolm Jenkins would become first-round picks, he caught the game-winning touchdown in overtime for the school’s third state crown. His Boise State career was bookended by Fiesta Bowl victories.

Starting today, the stakes are as high as they’ve ever been.

“I’m as ready as I’m going to get,” Wilson said.

Jenny Vrentas may be reached at jvrentas@starledger.com
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...le_wilson.html

All League
    It really is great that Kyle Wilson and Sanchez have great families behind them...seems to really have rubbed off on them......

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    It really is great that Kyle Wilson and Sanchez have great families behind them...seems to really have rubbed off on them......
    the good ones always seem to have that family-support group. I got a real good feeling about this kid. I think I might pick up a Wilson jersey at TC this year.

Rookie
    Loving Wilson more and more. I'm in for a Jersey too!