Thread: New Story: Rookie Watch: Wilson Starting? Who Is Jeff Cumberland?

All Jets 24/7

Post New Story: Rookie Watch: Wilson Starting? Who Is Jeff Cumberland?

With all the big name acquisitions*the Jets made during the offseason it's easy to forget the rookies, but after watching a few days of practice it's even easier to see why their teammates are paying close attention.

Just how much attention are they drawing? Well first round pick, cornerback Kyle Wilson, has made such an impact that one of the guy's competing with him for the nickelback position, Dwight Lowry, actually suggested that Wilson should practice with the first team opposite Antonio Cromartie today.

Rex Ryan said, "It's funny because Dwight's the one that said he *should be starting. That was interesting...

More...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JI BREAKING NEWS TICKER View Post
    With all the big name acquisitions*the Jets made during the offseason it's easy to forget the rookies, but after watching a few days of practice it's even easier to see why their teammates are paying close attention.

Just how much attention are they drawing? Well first round pick, cornerback Kyle Wilson, has made such an impact that one of the guy's competing with him for the nickelback position, Dwight Lowry, actually suggested that Wilson should practice with the first team opposite Antonio Cromartie today.

Rex Ryan said, "It's funny because Dwight's the one that said he *should be starting. That was interesting...

More...
    Kyle is my new favorite Jet Go get em kid! Make the Green Mon$ter expendable!

Super*****/Prom Queen
    I said it before and I'll say it again. The more time Darrelle stays away from the team, the less likely he will be missed. I also said that Kyle Wilson is quite capable of replacing Revis & can start for the NY Jets this season.

Guess what? Limo might be right (as usual).

my thoughts exactly. cromartie and wilson may not be such a drop off from shepard/lowery and revis. not as good as cromartie and revis but still very formidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    I said it before and I'll say it again. The more time Darrelle stays away from the team, the less likely he will be missed. I also said that Kyle Wilson is quite capable of replacing Revis & can start for the NY Jets this season.

Guess what? Limo might be right (as usual).

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    my thoughts exactly. cromartie and wilson may not be such a drop off from shepard/lowery and revis. not as good as cromartie and revis but still very formidable.
    That's right it's certainly nothing to sneeze at, I think these guys will be going gangbusters in the preseason games and certainly in the 2010 season itself. Wilson AND Cromartie were excellent pickups by the front office and CS, we can't overestimate the value of that in the context of the Revis holdout.

Cumberland also creating his own buzz and I like that we have another genuine receiving threat at TE behind Keller

All Pro
    It's hard to imagine anything sweeter than a 3-0 start (Ravens, Pats Dolphins) to this season, but if it happens with Cro and Wilson playing lights out at the corners, the thought of both the fans and Revis coming to realize that maybe the Jets don't need him for the next four years would be the cherry on top.

Hall Of Fame
    Whoa whoa whoa as Parcells said 'don't get out the anointing oil just yet' Wilson has not even played a snap. Rookie CB's get beat, good rookie corners can make an impact. NO ONE is replacing Revis without large bumps in the road.

Rookie report: Kyle Wilson, starter?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...wilson-starter

Rex Ryan suggested Monday that rookie CB Kyle Wilson will start the pre-season opener Monday night against the New York Giants. Wilson, the New York Jets' No. 1 pick, was elevated to the first team for last Saturday night's Green and White scrimmage. On Monday morning, he once again worked with the starters.

One of the cornerback spots is unsettled because, in case you haven't heard, All-Pro Darrelle Revis is holding out of camp, demaning a new contract. Initially, the Jets put Dwight Lowery in the lineup, but -- in a weird twist -- Lowery told secondary coach Dennis Thurman that it would be better for Wilson (and the team) if the rookie received the starter's share of the reps.

Hence, Wilson and Antonio Cromartie are the cornerback tandem.

"Some people, when they're with the 2s, play like a 2," Thurman said. "When they're with the 3s, they play like a 3. We wanted to give (Wilson) the opportunity to play with the 1s and see what would happen. He held his own, and that's what we expected. In reality, we expect he's going to play well. He's surrounded by other excellent players."

Wilson (29th overall) has "rare ability," according to Rex Ryan. His burst to the ball is obvious. He also has a smooth hip-turn, vital for a cornerback, and tremendous footwork. At times, he seems a little indecisive, especially in zone. But that's going to happen with rookies.

Initially, Wilson was projected as the starting nickel back, covering the slot receiver. That's a difficult position to master, especially for someone unfamiliar with the role. Now he's trying to learn a different spot in the defense, which means there's a lot on his plate. Too much? Thurman doesn't think so.

"Hey, there's peer pressure," Thurman said. "He's got to step into that huddle and get the job done. Our anticipation is that he'll be where he needs to be when it's time to play.