Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like the Dolphins staters sucked it up last night . . .

Veteran

Looks like the Dolphins staters sucked it up last night . . .

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/1...ner-wasnt.html

Miami Dolphins' preseason opener wasn't worth the wait

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

ASALGUERO@MIAMIHERALD.COM

Let's start with the perspective, because that is often lost in today's results-now, impatient world: This was only a preseason game, and the first one at that. The Dolphins' 2010 season will not hinge on anything that happened Saturday evening at Sun Life Stadium.
    But . . .
    God, did the Dolphins starters look bad.

After seven months of waiting for professional football to return to South Florida, after an offseason filled with so much apparent upgrade, after two weeks of training camp filled with so much preparation, Miami's first-teamers treated their fans to one soggy, unexpected disappointment.
    There were good moments, sure. NFL football is rarely black and white. Black and blue maybe, but rarely black and white.
    Hey, the Dolphins won the game 10-7 behind a nice performance by many of the backups.
    And late in the second quarter we witnessed the finest moment in receiver Patrick Turner's NFL career when he caught a 34-yard pass that suddenly suggested he could be redeemed after a rookie season in which he didn't catch a pass and didn't even get an offensive snap from scrimmage.
    But practically everything offered by Miami's first-team offense and first-team defense was simply not good enough for a playoff contender -- and not even good enough for the regular-season opener.
    FORGETTABLE DEBUT
    Newly minted big-play wide receiver Brandon Marshall dropped both passes thrown to him. The man caught more than 300 passes the past three seasons for the Denver Broncos, but both passes that hit Marshall in the hands bounded unsatisfactorily through.
    When Turner and free agent Marlon Moore are more effective receivers for the Dolphins than Marshall, that's a bad sign, folks.
    Marshall obviously knows the regular season is still three weeks away, and there really shouldn't be any worries about his true ability. It would take a tremendous and terrible turn of events for Marshall to suddenly lose the magic he has shown so far in his career.
    But just maybe, he might consider getting rid of that No. 19 jersey before the regular season begins because, so far, through a bad scrimmage and bad preseason debut, he has looked more like Ted Ginn Jr. than anyone around here is comfortable admitting.
    Starting quarterback Chad Henne, who has star potential and must reach that potential for Miami to be championship relevant, didn't exactly shine. He looked more like a game-manager than a game-changer in completing only 5 of 11 passes for 19 yards.
    While backup Tyler Thigpen, electric in that he is wildly unpredictable, seemed to threaten the Buccaneers' deep secondary on practically every throw, Henne completed only one of his passes to a wide receiver.
    And even that singular moment of clarity went for a modest 4 yards.
    To summarize Miami's offensive showing, you need only look at Miami's third-down percentage: It was 0 percent because the offense couldn't convert any of its six attempts in the first half.
    Miami had as many penalties as first downs in the first half.
    Obviously not thrilled with his offense's first-quarter showing, coach Tony Sparano hoped to see better, so he sent them back into the game to start the second quarter.
    The group opened with a false-start penalty on Jake Long. And then they went three-and-out. So much for that hope.
    EQUAL FOOTING
    Yes, the field was wet and muddy and almost unplayable in some areas of the baseball infield. But Tampa Bay played on the same field at the same time and seemed to handle the conditions better than Miami.
    The Dolphins' starting defense wasn't as unspectacular as their offensive mates. But neither were they good enough to give anyone a sense that this will be a lock-down unit.
    Koa Misi was active in his debut, and fellow rookie Jared Odrick recovered a fumble. So that's good news.
    But second-year cornerbacks Vontae Davis and Sean Smith yielded big completions. Tampa starting quarterback Josh Freeman connected with rookie Mike Williams on a 30-yard sideline pass that had Davis in close coverage.
    He was not, however, close enough to make the play.
    On his next pass, Freeman threw to receiver Sammie Stroughter who had enough of a cushion from Smith that the young cornerback couldn't recover quickly enough to prevent a 13-yard touchdown.
    Yes, Smith had an interception in the second quarter. But that came off backup John Johnson, who basically launched a fly ball that came down nowhere near Reggie Brown, who was open.
    We shouldn't complain, at least it was a positive play by a Dolphins starter.
    On this night, against a noncontender, against a team so bad last year it had the third overall pick in the draft, any bit of good news was welcome.

Charter JI Member
    not that I wish anything but bad things upon the Dolphins, I wouldn't get too worked up over a pre season game.

Meh... it's to be expected.They have no offense other than Wild Cat, and Rex showed that he figured that out in the rematch last year when we pummeled their offense.

Hall Of Fame
    I wouldn't put too much stock into a mere preseason game. The Dolphins are much better than this game.

I think the Jets are the head and shoulders favorite to win the division. But the Dolphins are still a very good, much improved team that will certainly give the Jets problems just like they did last season.

All League
    shows you what an idiot Salguero is.Not only is it the first preseason game but that game was played in the mud last night.

for those of you who don't live in the South Florida area you have no idea how bad the media is down here.The biggest bunch of homers you will ever see.Next preseason game if the starters play well this idiot will write a column on how the Dolphins look like they could make a super bowl run

say what you will about the doltfins, they do play the game for the full 60 minutes. personnel or not, any team that plays the whole game will be difficult. and the bottom line is that they did win the game.

Veteran
    I hate the fins like all of us.....but the conditions sucked for that game. I watched it and came away impressed with their rookie G Jerry and Brown looked pretty god coming off that foot injury. The defense looked pedestrian...but obv it was base scheme and such. They don't scare me in the long run if the Jets have Revis to handle Marshall tho.

All Pro
    Preseason means NOTHING, and it was pouring...

Banned
    Their helmets looked fantastic.

All League
    I watched the whole game, only because I was waiting for #10 to get his snaps, which of course he didn't get. I lost 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    not that I wish anything but bad things upon the Dolphins, I wouldn't get too worked up over a pre season game.
    +1 Remember the times we went undefeated in pre season only to have a losing record??

that's all well and good but you still should be worried about Brandon Spikes after his preseason game jet fans.

Sincerely,
    Sad, pathetic patsie* fan

Practice Squad
    The Bucs 1st team didn't have any problems with the mud and rain. That's just an excuse for how bad Miami looked.

Henne was less effective than a typical Clemens outing and Marshall looked slow and stiff, like the hip is still bothering him.

Granted, you can't judge a team by one pre-season quarter, but they DID look terrible.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    Their helmets looked fantastic.
    I didn't see them, how ghey?

I love how the article says Brandon Marshall had 2 easy catches that he dropped and then goes on to talk about how Henne's numbers weren't very good. You think his number one receiver dropping everything thrown to him might have had something to do with that?

All Pro
    It was raining in South Florida? Noooooo. That never happens. I hope we get to play them in the rain.

It was only 1 quarter of preseason football, but they looked BAD. Tampa Bay looked like they could be much better than last year if Josh Freeman can take a big step forward.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by child please View Post
    that's all well and good but you still should be worried about Brandon Spikes after his preseason game jet fans.

Sincerely,
    Sad, pathetic patsie* fan
    And you should be worried about him as well, pathetic Pasts* fan.

Also, you should be worried about the entire Jets roster because they are going to tear your Justin Beiber QB to bits and show what a fool your cheating coach is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    And you should be worried about him as well, pathetic Pasts* fan.

Also, you should be worried about the entire Jets roster because they are going to tear your Justin Beiber QB to bits and show what a fool your cheating coach is.
    He's not a Pats fan

I watched that game last night. Its hard to take anything out of a game where the conditions were that bad. In Marshall's case I think that was more a guy realizing its preseason and then seeing the weather and just not caring. I thought Tyler Thigpen looked good and I think he is far better than people think. WR Marlon Moore made a few nice plays and on a team with thin depth at WR he might make it as a UDFA. The one area that looked like a concern, even taking weather into account, was the teams linebackers. I thought they looked awful from the starting unit all the way through the last squad. The angles they took were terrible, were leaving themselves set up to just be blindsided by blockers as they waited for the runner to get to them, and at other times were just all out of position. Fundamentally they looked terrible and I dont know if that is coaching or just lack of talent. I could see them being real worried about that position if they look that bad again in the second week.

The other thing to get out of that game is that their ticket sales must be abysmal. I could not believe the hard sales pitches going on during the game. Their package promotions reek of things like the NJ Nets would be forced to do to sell games.

All Pro
    sparkley fancy helmets always go over well with the guys