Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Positives vs. Negatives from Pre Season Game 1

All League

Positives vs. Negatives from Pre Season Game 1

POSITIVES:

Football is back!!!!!

Mark Sanchez - leaps and bounds above last year. Your average fan will talk of the interception, but that may have been the best thing to happen to Mark. His reads, progressions, and pocket awareness were awesome. What really stood out to me was his use of the hard count. He really had the Gmen jumping and he was able to make the right checks off of that.

Running Game - say what you want, but LT and Greene are going to be one hell of a combo. IF LT has to step in for a game or two, I don't think we lose much. He showed a nice burst, great protection skills, solid route running, and he ran with authority. If healthy, I think Greene could have a special 2nd season. I mean real special.

Offensive Line - Did anyone miss Faneca? Maybe a holding call too many(that one on the LT TD on Turner was BS), but that's it. They held up nicely against the talented Giants pass rushers and have we got some depth. Woody got beat by Pierre Paul, but nothing consistent was going on. They had a nice push all night long.

Defense - Man, it's like the season never ended. We are still the best Defense in the league, bar none. Our depth up front is insane. The additions of Cro and Taylor can not be understated. Cummings stepped up for depth at ILB, and our Safeties looked like they were everywhere. Kyle Wilson played well in run support and had some nice coverage for a rookie. Our Dline looks like it is going to eat QBs and RBs, and that was without big Jenks. WOW.

ST - A punt block, and some nice coverage. This was something I was concerned with, but nothing negative stood out. I thought the ST had a nice performance. Even Folk was ok. Remember, that was the first time kicking in that stadium for any kicker.

KC - Damn, Kellen Clemens looked pretty good in relief showing nice command of the Offense and good authority when delivering the ball.

VG - I know people were ripping him for not doing anything, but he had a pressure, and played well at the POA. If anything, he showed he can contribute as a rotational player, and that is an improvement. Expecting a 3 sack game from him is a little much. In fact, no one had a sack, so how can you hold that against VG. Its all about pressure, something he provided on a play, and he definitely stood up at the POA.

Vlad - I thought in the limited action he saw, he looked powerful, and pushed his guys around. On one run to the other side, he damn near leveled three guys.

Connor - i love this kid, however, there is no way in hell I cut T-Rich. That guy is still the $h!t. Either way, this is a good problem to have.

Woodhead - was that a mini-welker out there, or just a Chrebet clone? Man he can make things happen.

NEGATIVES

Joe McKnight - This guy sucks. Plain and simple. He had a nice run when it got outside, but he looked lost running b/t the tackles, and folks, that is what counts in the NFL. Hope he can show some improvement, cause he is like dropping off a cliff after LT and Greene.

K. O'Connell - If I was in charge, he would be cut already. He certainly looks the part, but he was not very fluid going through his progressions, and showed little reason why he can hang with KC. He makes poor decisions.

Secondary Depth - Lowery got beat on an incredible one handed catch with a non call on offensive pass interference. Sorry, can't hold that against him. Coleman was supposedly beat on a coverage mishap, not just by Cruz. But either way, you can not say our secondary depth made you feel warm and fuzzy inside. However, if Revis signs, this is all a non-issue barring injury. If he doesn't sign, then somebody needs to step up. B.Jackson played limitingly, but i thought he at least looked the part.

Cro tackling - This is where we will really miss Revis: in run support. Im not going to get all over Cro, cause his coverage was incredible, but he sure looks like a timid little girl when they run his way. Maybe he should speak to Leonhard, who single handedly saved a TD by tackling Jacobs one on one. Now that is a FB player.

WR depth - After Smith, what happened? I like Taylor on ST. But on the field, did any of those WRs fighting for a spot show anything?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    please explain why is it a good thing when the starting QB can't throw to his left?

i've seen about a dozen "Sanchez had a great night" posts. He had an ok night. Great nights dont include 50 yard passes to the other team.

also watching the OL, they aren't as good last year's unit. Maybe that's cause Mangold wasn't there... he is a great player too... but this whole "slauson is an upgrade over Faneca" seems like wishful thinking. They have 2 projects at LG.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    please explain why is it a good thing when the starting QB can't throw to his left?

i've seen about a dozen "Sanchez had a great night" posts. He had an ok night. Great nights dont include 50 yard passes to the other team.

also watching the OL, they aren't as good last year's unit. Maybe that's cause Mangold wasn't there... he is a great player too... but this whole "slauson is an upgrade over Faneca" seems like wishful thinking. They have 2 projects at LG.
    Bit, if this was anyone else, I might actually respond. But you are just a negative person when it comes to the Jets. You should try to ge a gig with Cimini, i think you guys would be great friends.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    Bit, if this was anyone else, I might actually respond. But you are just a negative person when it comes to the Jets. You should try to ge a gig with Cimini, i think you guys would be great friends.
    that's a response. gotcha!

All League
    that's a response. gotcha!
    How can you say Sanchez can't throw to his left? From one play? Or from the Jaws montage? To focus on that with all of the improvements a litany of other media outlets are reporting is a joke.

As for the Oline, yeah, we sure had problems. I mean, no sacks till the Pierre Paul sighting, and our running game looked phenomenal.

I mean, if you want to offer up some actual plays as proof, that might help, but this whole, yeah, last year our line looked better than the first half of a pre season game is a joke.

Hall Of Fame
    did you by any chance see that pick, bit...

he threw a pretty much perfect pass that bounced off a receiver (LT I think) up in the air and we all know what happens when passes are bounced up in the air in the NFL.

The best part of that play was that Sanchez was, of course trying to make a tackle on the interception return but saner heads prevailed and another Jet player quietly pushed him out of the way

JetsInsider.com Legend
    How can you say Sanchez can't throw to his left? From one play? Or from the Jaws montage? To focus on that with all of the improvements a litany of other media outlets are reporting is a joke.
    all im saying is when the QB throws an int like that it's not "a strong performance" - Sanchez was up and down. He came back from his mistake and that's great but he's not Manning/Brees/Brady. He came back from mistakes last year too the improvement would be if he didn't make the bad mistake in the first place.

I dont need to media to report how he's doing we can all see the game. If he cuts out that really bad mistake then yes he's great. I wonder why do we pretend it didn't happen?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

he threw a pretty much perfect pass that bounced off a receiver (LT I think) up in the air and we all know what happens when passes are bounced up in the air in the NFL.
    maybe im wrong but it looked like a pass behind the receiver into double coverage. He had cotch and braylon way more open.

All League

The best part of that play was that Sanchez was, of course trying to make a tackle on the interception return but saner heads prevailed and another Jet player quietly pushed him out of the way
    I think his 'Pay Revis' sign may have gotten in the way.

Veteran

That's incorrect. The ball Sanchez threw to Tomlinson on that pick was way behind him. Awful pass.

All Pro

That throw was less about ability and more about decision-making. That is painfully obvious. Yes, the pass was behind LT (arguably catchable), but the decision to try and make the throw in the first place is what should be taken to task. He forced the throw. "He can't throw to his left". I laughed so hard when they showed that clip that "broke down" his issues throwing to the left.

Now, do I think he played lights-out? No, but I think he showed some really nice progress compared to least season, especially in his patience and checkdowns. Let's remember, this was a mostly vanilla gameplan.

All League
    maybe im wrong but it looked like a pass behind the receiver into double coverage. He had cotch and braylon way more open.
    No you are right, but one play makes the whole game?????? The first throw of the season and that's it, Sanchez sucks. Did you watch anymore of the game after that?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    That throw was less about ability and more about decision-making. That is painfully obvious. Yes, the pass was a bit behind LT (but arguably catchable), but the decision to try and make the throw in the first place is what should be taken to task. He forced the throw. "He can't throw to his left". I laughed so hard when they showed that clip that "broke down" his issues throwing to the left.

Now, do I think he played lights-out? No, but I think he showed some really nice progress compared to least season, especially in his patience and checkdowns. Let's remember, this was a mostly vanilla gameplan.
    With respect, not even close. It hit Tomlinson in the shoulder pads as he was cutting. It was not a catchable ball. Sanchez played well after that attempt, but that throw was scary.

All League

That's a just a STUPID Homer statement. Can't throw to his left?!?! C'mon Negative Nelly! It was a forced pass that deflected and was Intercepted. Better he makes that mistake NOW then when it counts.

He was 13-17 the REST of the game for 100+yards against a 1st Team Defense. That's just hating and b!tching for the sake of it

Our offense line looked fine. We were able to run the ball effectively - Green avg was about 5 yards/carry.

It was a SOLID performance by ALL our starters. Our depth, on the other hand, sucked.

Those who say Sanchez played "eh" and weren't content with our 1st unit showings are just your SOJ fans. I had hoped they died off with the old stadium.
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 08-17-2010 at 08:52 AM.

All League

As for the Oline, yeah, we sure had problems. I mean, no sacks till the Pierre Paul sighting, and our running game looked phenomenal.

I mean, if you want to offer up some actual plays as proof, that might help, but this whole, yeah, last year our line looked better than the first half of a pre season game is a joke.
    +1

JetsInsider.com Legend
    No you are right, but one play makes the whole game?????? The first throw of the season and that's it, Sanchez sucks. Did you watch anymore of the game after that?
    I never said Sanchez sucked. I said it's a little much to say he had a great night. Up and down or mixed would be a truer evaluation.

Hall Of Fame
    stick to being a draft guru, big guy

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    With respect, not even close. It hit Tomlinson in the shoulder pads as he was cutting. It was not a catchable ball. Sanchez played well after that attempt, but that throw was scary.
    Do we think we are over analyzing this a bit. Yes, it was a poor decision to throw that ball. Everyone is in agreement.

However, there were 16 other throws after that, and that one was not only the first since last season, but to a new RB who Sanchez has NO game experience with, and was obviously locked on from the start.

How about we analyze the whole game, not one play.

Veteran
    Do we think we are over analyzing this a bit. Yes, it was a poor decision to throw that ball. Everyone is in agreement.

However, there were 16 other throws after that, and that one was not only the first since last season, but to a new RB who Sanchez has NO game experience with, and was obviously locked on from the start.

How about we analyze the whole game, not one play.
    What are you talking about? You brought up Sanchez. I was correcting a response that Sanchez' first attempt was a catchable ball. It wasn't.

All League
    I never said Sanchez sucked. I said it's a little much to say he had a great night. Up and down or mixed would be a truer evaluation.
    You know with this kind of opinion, its amazing I am such a fan of Draft Daddy.

13-17, with 119 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT is not an up or down night (for a half) of the first preseason game. Sorry. This was a vanilla game plan, with simple routes, and simple plays. What you should look at is his overall command of the offense, the checks, hard counts, progression reads, and ball control.

Minus one play, Sanchez was 13-16 119 yards, 1 TD. Hmmmm. Sounds more up to me.