Thread: Issues to discuss after the first preseason game

Hall Of Fame

Issues to discuss after the first preseason game

I watched the whole game last night and I came away thinking there could be 3 big issues that the Jets need to get resolved before the regular season.

They are as follows:

LG spot - Slauson IMO didn't look good last night. He's still not ready for the regular season. I also do not believe Ducasse is even close to being starting material right now. It will be important for Rex, Schotty, and Bill to get Slauson a LOT more playing time in the preseason.

FB - I think the Jets will need to carry TWO Fb's into the regular season. John Conner looked good on some plays, but he also looked pretty confused at times. I don't believe the kid has his timing down. He whiffed on a couple of plays.

I also believe he has "pro bowl talent" written all over him. So it goes without saying, he MUST make the team. Yet, he's not ready. So I would think the most responsible thing to do here is to keep Richardson and Conner. That way Conner will get a lot more much needed time and practice to get into the swing of things.

CB - After Cro and Wilson, Lowery and Coleman did not play well at all. It's obvious to me that this team NEEDS Revis on the field.

Are there any other things you think need to be addressed? How do you think the above issues will shake out?

points well taken but it's still only the first preseason game. the inside run game needs some work and slauson and ducasse still need time on the field. however don't forget that turner was playing center for mangold. with mangold at center maybe the left guard plays a bit better. also the sack on sanchez was from the right side over woody. sanchez was pretty much clean and unpressured all night.

the second and third teams did not play very well at all. especially the defense. brunell looked horrible and oconnell had some nice plays but against the scrubs. clemens looked half decent. holmes showed that he's going to be worth the wait. he cuts very nicely and can push the secondary. if sanchez and he get on the same page, look out.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I don't think Lowery was all that bad. The one long play was a non-call interference penalty. I would worry about Coleman.

We need some LG work, although Mangold coming back will help that a lot. Turner wasn't half bad, actually.

Woody looked old.

Gholston needs to be cut, and the money should go towards Revis' contract, because Cromartie doesn't want to take a hit. Great cover skills. Not so much tackling.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

FB - I think the Jets will need to carry TWO Fb's into the regular season. John Conner looked good on some plays, but he also looked pretty confused at times. I don't believe the kid has his timing down. He whiffed on a couple of plays.
    I have to throw my two cents in again since i went back last night and watched every play that Conner was in on. And there were a few plays, perhaps two vs the Giants 1st stringers where he didnt get a chance to block someone.

And the only times when it looked like he "whiffed" was on QB roll-out plays that where the QB rolled away from the "decoy run blocking" and he didnt put his helmet on someone, but like I said last night, with the ball being on the other side of the blocking, there was no need to sacrifice your body when the defender is 20 yards away from the play.

For those of you with DVR

2nd Quarter - 10:00 -1st and 10- Jets at their own 40-
    vs LB #52

3rd Quarter - 14:13 - 2nd and 9 - Jets at own 28 -
    vs a DL #95 (who clearly outweighs him by 70+ pounds)

3rd Quarter - 12:12 - 1st and 10 - Jets at the Giants' 41 -
    vs DE #71

3rd Quarter...........10:10
    vs LB #49

3rd Quarter...........4:45
    vs LB #57 (the commentators make note of this one)

And those are my
    Terminator sightings......

In my opinion, he blew up more people from what I saw than what people are saying "he isnt ready, he outran some blocks." Lets agree, he isnt T-Rich, yet but Conner did his thing. He outran one or two.....but nothing were I was disappointed, unlike Gholston, know what I mean. The Terminator left many in his wake.... destroyed several players. McKnight just couldnt evade that first tackler otherwise The Terminator would have opened huge holes.

The Terminator is the real deal. The plays he was in vs Giants 1st stringers didnt allow him a chance to do his thing since it since he wasnt lead blocking it was more zone blocking schemes. There are a few naked bootlegs that it appears as if he is whiffing on the blocks but the design of the misdirection on the play make him a mere decoy and there is no need to blow anyone up as the play is completely on the other side of the field.

John Conner is for real.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Too me the biggest issue (red flag) was Nick Folk missing a 45 Yard FG near the end of the 3rd Qtr that could have extended a 6 Point lead to a 9 Point lead, which very easily can spell the difference between winning and losing.

You have to knock that thru and extend the lead to "two scores"

NO IFS, ANDS or BUTS

When you miss that FG you give the other team the worse things you can give the other team ...

HOPE and MOMENTUM
    I agree, and I forgot. Nick Folk is another huge area of concern for this team. Actually, the kicking game overall. Maybe it's me more than it was what he did on the field, but I was rather nervous whenever he stepped on the field. Soon enough, I had reason to be concerned.

Also, what about Ben Hartsock? Do you think he sticks as our second string blocking TE? Or is there a better solution that played last night?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Too me the biggest issue (red flag) was Nick Folk missing a 45 Yard FG near the end of the 3rd Qtr that could have extended a 6 Point lead to a 9 Point lead, which very easily can spell the difference between winning and losing.

You have to knock that thru and extend the lead to "two scores"

NO IFS, ANDS or BUTS

When you miss that FG you give the other team the worse things you can give the other team ...

HOPE and MOMENTUM
    I thought the same thing, surprised people are not making a bigger deal about it. If he can't hit a 46 yarder on a warm August night, what will he do in the winds of January? In fairness to Folk, the kick was straight and had the distance, so hopefully a minor adjustment will take care of things. But we do need him to make 8 out of 10 reliably from 40-49 yards out.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HDCentStOhio View Post
    I thought the same thing, surprised people are not making a bigger deal about it. If he can't hit a 46 yarder on a warm August night, what will he do in the winds of January? In fairness to Folk, the kick was straight and had the distance, so hopefully a minor adjustment will take care of things. But we do need him to make 8 out of 10 reliably from 40-49 yards out.
    Man, you guys making me nervous about him now.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    Man, you guys making me nervous about him now.
    We need a kicker who can hit the 40 yarders reliably. Hopefully Folk can prove himself over the next 3 games.

All League
    he barely missed that 46 yarder. i'm not that worried. with all the talk, i expected him to come out and schidt the bed from 20 yds.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I don't think Lowery was all that bad. The one long play was a non-call interference penalty. I would worry about Coleman.

We need some LG work, although Mangold coming back will help that a lot. Turner wasn't half bad, actually.

Woody looked old.

Gholston needs to be cut, and the money should go towards Revis' contract, because Cromartie doesn't want to take a hit. Great cover skills. Not so much tackling.
    Woody looked old? Huh? Are you talking about the sack given up to the rookie?

That was an assignment error, if you watch the replay, Woody thought he had backside help with the TE switching, you can see Woody and Keller talking to Callahan later on the sideline after that play. C'mon, Woody is probably in as good as shape as he's been in years, the OL played VERY well IMO.

I don't agree with MJ about the OL or the FB position at all.

I can understand the concern at CB without Revis, but I thought the first TD on the Lowery coverage was great coverage where Lowery slipped and he was also pushed off on by the WR on the facemask, that should have been a penalty.

Eric Coleman is playing himself off of this team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

A google image search of "drew coleman" brings up the following (forgive me fellow Jet fans)

Veteran
    FB is not a concern at all. of course connor will make the roster, they just drafted the guy. It is very rare for a team to cut a draft pick the same year they pick him. That would be a total waste of a pick then. He will push t-rich but t-rich will be the starter IMO. Unless jason davis turns into a special teams monster he will prob be cut.

CB is a bit of concern. Especially if Mevi$ never comes back. Lowery is very shaky and the rest of the guys behind him are even worse. If I were tanny i'd be beating the bushes and see what's out of there. I'd even consider making a move very soon to pick up another corner to compete with lowery and it would also send a message to Mevi$ and his douchebag agents that the Jets aren't messing around.

Slauson was ok, I'd give him more time. It was his first start and he didn't have mangold next to him to help out.