Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 2nd Viewing, LG battle is real

All League

After 2nd Viewing, LG battle is real

I just viewed the game again, and one thing that stood out to me is that Ducasse played phenomenal. He is really stout at the POA, drives his guy backward, and is pretty immoveable. Now, this is against the 2s and 3s, so my expectations are tempered. However, Slauson switched to RG with the 2s and 3s and he didnt look nearly as dominant.

I am willing to bet that by day one, or early in the season, Ducasse overtakes Slauson.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    I just viewed the game again, and one thing that stood out to me is that Ducasse played phenomenal. He is really stout at the POA, drives his guy backward, and is pretty immoveable. Now, this is against the 2s and 3s, so my expectations are tempered. However, Slauson switched to RG with the 2s and 3s and he didnt look nearly as dominant.

I am willing to bet that by day one, or early in the season, Ducasse overtakes Slauson.

Thoughts?
    This is correct...

Looking back at the game, it's pretty clear that Ducasse may even be better than Slauson.

The things he did well in college and showed at the senior bowl really translated. Showed great mobility and the strength at the point of attack is absolutely clear.

I think the only reason he's not starting right now is because he's just learning the other aspects of the game. Blitz pickup and when to take which guy.

He'll be starting before the year is over. Although I have to say I'm happy that we have a guy in Slauson, a 6th round pick, who can legitimately play.

Hall Of Fame
    I think Slauss will be starting at LG this season and Vlad takes over for the aging Big Woods at RT next season

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I think Slauss will be starting at LG this season and Vlad takes over for the aging Big Woods at RT next season
    Speaking of Woody - he didn't look too hot to me. A couple of penalties and a sack given up. He could be the OL weak link.
    The Jets have a pretty good situation at OL relative to depth.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I agree Ducasse is a far better athlete than Slauson. Once he learns the plays he will lose the hesitation that rookies have. They didn't use a 2nd round pick on this player to sit him... Slauson is average or below. He's better at run blocking than pass protection (like Faneca). If you were a defensive coordinator looking for a weak spot to run blitzes through, it would be Slauson.

for now the best left guard to start might be Rob Turner

Hall Of Fame
    with all due respect it looks to me like Big Wood (the third place finisher in the weight loss competition) is quite close to eating himself out of an NFL job in 2011

His gut is Vince Wilfork like

Woody is at a pretty good weight this year. He's at a better weight than last year and he didn't get beat much at all last year.

The sack was given up on a miscommunication so I wouldn't put much into it. You only start to worry, if a lot of misccommunications happen. Given that WOody has been here for years and they typically don't, I wouldn't worry about it.

All League
    Keep in mind Ducasse was playing against the 2nd team.....

All League
    at one point in the 2nd half, ducasse lost position on his opponent and it looked like he was going to get through, but he gave him a huge shove that knocked him off his line. i was impressed.

All Pro
    It's nice to be able to say that we have some pretty good depth on the o-line. It was only a short time ago where we had a giant turd inserted into the starting lineup.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I agree Ducasse is a far better athlete than Slauson. Once he learns the plays he will lose the hesitation that rookies have. They didn't use a 2nd round pick on this player to sit him... Slauson is average or below. He's better at run blocking than pass protection (like Faneca). If you were a defensive coordinator looking for a weak spot to run blitzes through, it would be Slauson.

for now the best left guard to start might be Rob Turner
    i am still not happy we cut faneca

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by gijet View Post
    there's no way this unit will be better than last years. It didn't make the team better to cut a 9 time pro bowler, 5 time all pro.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Speaking of Woody - he didn't look too hot to me. A couple of penalties and a sack given up. He could be the OL weak link.
    The Jets have a pretty good situation at OL relative to depth.
    OMG... after 1 preseason game you are ready to write off arguably the best RT in football

there's no way this unit will be better than last years. It didn't make the team better to cut a 9 time pro bowler, 5 time all pro.
    Faneca was the weak link of our O-line last year and is waaaay overrated. Glad he is gone. Faneca was the 67th ranked Guard in the NFL according to ProFootballFocus.com (they grade players on every down) and not in the top 20 in run blocking.

Big Wood was the 2nd rated RT behind Willie Colon. Woody is a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post

Thoughts?
    Nice, I might have to watch the 2nd half again tonight and focus on "The Black Russian" (as named by Mangold)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SackDancer99 View Post
    Faneca was the weak link of our O-line last year and is waaaay overrated. Glad he is gone. Faneca was the 67th ranked Guard in the NFL according to ProFootballFocus.com (they grade players on every down) and not in the top 20 in run blocking.
    That all may be true but they didn't upgrade him. Let's not pretend it will be a better unit. Besides the fact that the line had started over 30 games together, and how important continuity is... they hope to get someone in that same range. The Jets LG could go from 67th to 68th.

Slauson had a mediocre debut. Ducasse isn't ready. It's not like they drafted Ducasse 3 years ago and have been grooming him for this day. We have to hope WR and QB improvements make up for the OL getting worse. Cause it won't be better.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gijet View Post
    After watching the first preseason game I'm a little uneasy about his potential replacements. Slauson looked shaky and Ducasse might not be ready to start this season. Jets rolled the dice, we'll see how it plays out.

Hall Of Fame
    everyone has an opinion. But I'd rather base mine on watching the progresss of the OL over the course of several games before saying if it is not as good as last years. IMO Slauson/ Ducasse both possess what it takes to be a serious player at the OG position. Slauson is not the fan favorite but he played against the first team and held his own. He had a holding call but so did Turner, Turner's called back a TD. I love Tirner's feistiness but lets not dump on Slauson without a reason.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    lets not dump on Slauson without a reason.
    he wasn't great. besides the holding penalty, he had a pass protection mistake that could be described as "JP Machado-like"

He was better as a run blocker... but how is that different than Faneca?

our only hope for this to be a better unit is Ducasse turns it on and wins this job by day 1. Original poster was right. It's not going to be better with Slauson.

By this logic, you would have a bunch of 50 year old, former pro bowlers on your team.

It's never that simple.

Hall Of Fame
    he wasn't great. besides the holding penalty, he had a pass protection mistake that could be described as "JP Machado-like"

He was better as a run blocker... but how is that different than Faneca?

our only hope for this to be a better unit is Ducasse turns it on and wins this job by day 1. Original poster was right. It's not going to be better with Slauson.
    off the basis of the first preseason game? WOW! You sure do have a talent for picking talent. Imo its going to be a battle. Slauson looked pretty darn good to me for his first game with no Mangold to help. Turner is NO Mangold. Vlad has a load of talent. Thats why they drafted him in the second round. Let 'em duke it out in preseason and I am sure REX will play the best player. IMO too many fans are pushing for VLAD because he was a high draft pick. Lets see him against the one's and then try to compare. The Slauson holding call was very, very marginal per Gruden. I just wonder if anyone thinks Slauson has room to grow? I do and the Jets will be better as a result. Faneca sucked at pass blocking and he sucked the first part of the year in run blocking. Then he came on later in the season. If Slauson/ Vald are able to pass block better then Faneca, it will be an improved OL in at least that one area. As either gain experience, we will return to address this issue. Faneca sucked last year regardles of what anyone says. Why do you think he is not with us? Money is important but so is winning. The Jets were in danger of having Sanchez crushed if Faneca stayed in there for us. Rex knew it and so did Callahan.