Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Richardson could return today

Waterboy

Tony Richardson Could Return Today

Last edited by MattJet1; 09-06-2010 at 11:35 AM.

All League
    He should. No way he isn't one of the 53 best players, and he is still a great guy/leader. Sign him up.

All Pro
    Makes sense except for the tannenbaum part, mentioned in the article

Hall Of Fame
    Tony Richardson could rejoin Jets as soon as today

Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2010 10:23 AM ET

Jets fans could have multiple reasons to be happy today, one week before the team opens the stadium it will share with the Giants.

Apart from the return of Darrelle Revis, the Jets are expected to bring back fullback Tony Richardson.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Richardson could be re-signing as soon as this afternoon. (Actually, the source says that Richardson "should be" returning on Monday.)

We're in the process of figuring out why the Jets would need to cut Richardson for one day -- and why G.M. Mike Tannenbaum's comments about Richardson's release carried a strong whiff of finality: "Each season, there are difficult choices when constructing the 53-man roster and this year is no exception. We appreciate Tony's contributions and leadership over the past two seasons and have nothing but the highest respect for him as a person and as a player."

Many believed that the Jets were simply trying to avoid having to essentially guarantee Richardson's base salary of $855,000 by cutting him before Week One and bringing him back immediately thereafter. The truth simply could be that with an influx of three new players via waivers on Sunday the Jets had to scramble to decide which player(s) to cut. Any players with fewer than four years of service would have been subject to waivers. Since Richardson is a vested veteran, he became a free agent.

Though other teams may have tried to sign him, no one had the ability to "claim" him against his will.

Our guess (and it's just a guess) is that the Jets opted not to cut one of their cornerbacks before finalizing the Revis agreement -- and that one of the six cornerbacks will be getting the heave-ho today so that Richardson can be re-signed. Look for the Jets to get a short-term roster exemption for Revis, so that they can figure out in the next day or so who else needs to go so before activating Revis in time for Monday night.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...soon-as-today/

Also, IMO the likely hood of another team trying to sign TRich is pretty slim at this point with his age...So why not release him and resign him a day or week later if you want to...

Banned
    So they said...

Hey Tony...

Take a day off so we can try out some schmuck.

We'll see you tomorrow...

Hall Of Fame
    incarceratedbob
    ***BREAKING NEWS*** Tony Richardson could be signed before Wed! JETS are in process of bringing him back! @TheJetsStream u gonna steal this?

Practice Squad
    Wait, you mean the fans that were howling for Tanny's hide because we couldn't afford to do without TRich's leadership may have jumped the gun...just wee bit?

And the fans who were screaming that the scumbug Mevi$ wouldn't sign for a penny less than $16 million plus 50 cents a year were...wrong?

So much courage when you are sitting behind a computer screen. What manly men!

Keep it classy, Jets fans!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by vinluvr View Post
    Wait, you mean the fans that were howling for Tanny's hide because we couldn't afford to do without TRich's leadership may have jumped the gun...just wee bit?

And the fans who were screaming that the scumbug Mevi$ wouldn't sign for a penny less than $16 million plus 50 cents a year were...wrong?

So much courage when you are sitting behind a computer screen. What manly men!

Keep it classy, Jets fans!
    Thank you for showing us the TRUE definition of class . . .

All Pro
    Excellent news. Assuming a CB goes to clear space for Revis, who goes to bring back T-Rich?

Veteran
    As much as i love Conner.. But i just think T-Rich should play one more season here with us and then hang it up..
    But no way he's gonna end his career like that..

All League
    I hope this is true. I couldn't understand the move at all.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

It may be a shrewd move in the sense that it does help sneak a player onto the practice squad, if they were afraid that some other team might poach them. Teams are finalizing their rosters and its a lot easier to grab Brian Jackson on Sunday, than it is on Wednesday when game plans are already being put in place.

If T-Rich agreed to hang out for a few days with Tanny putting out that bogus statement, it may be easier to have the Jets roster play out in exactly the way they want it to.

Just a theory.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I hope this is true. I couldn't understand the move at all.
    Thats because it was temporary

All Pro
    can't wait to see this explained on hard knocks...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It may be a shrewd move in the sense that it does help sneak a player onto the practice squad, if they were afraid that some other team might poach them. Teams are finalizing their rosters and its a lot easier to grab Brian Jackson on Sunday, than it is on Wednesday when game plans are already being put in place.

If T-Rich agreed to hang out for a few days with Tanny putting out that bogus statement, it may be easier to have the Jets roster play out in exactly the way they want it to.

Just a theory.
    lol...

Possible, I suppose.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Just a theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    lol...

Possible, I suppose.
    Thats kind of what I read between the lines.

Now if they waited until next week so nothing was guaranteed, that would really be a doosh move.

All League

Just a theory.
    I was thinking the same thing. Definitely possible -- although kind of dirty pool for the guy (Jackson?) who might have made an active roster and may now end up on the Jets PS instead.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Definitely possible -- although kind of dirty pool for the guy (Jackson?) who might have made an active roster and may now end up on the Jets PS instead.
    But that happens all the time. IIRC, Jason Davis was all set to make the team last year until we went out and signed Ryan Fowler after cut down day. Davis was then bumped to the Taxi Squad.

The Jets, more so than most, tinker with their roster well after cut down day, so Jackson moving down wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Plus, Jackson hasn't exactly made himself into the most sympathetic figure over the past 4 weeks. As an UDFA, making the Taxi Squad is still a pretty good achievement. You're one injury away from being on the team.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Thats kind of what I read between the lines.

Now if they waited until next week so nothing was guaranteed, that would really be a doosh move.
    Agreed. Assuming this line of thinking has merit, I can see T-Rich agreeing to hang out for a few days, but I think he'd draw the line where his contract would no longer be guaranteed. Plus, ostensibly the Jets would want him on the roster week 1. While Connor has great potential, I'd still want the safety net of TRich week 1 against the Ravens.

I've seen talk that his contract is/was guaranteed, but haven't seen any proof of that.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Had a feeling it might be something like this...