Thread: Teams struggling to sell tickets..not a good time for a lockout.

Veteran

Teams struggling to sell tickets..not a good time for a lockout.

Chargers' 48-game sellout streak over

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers say their home opener Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars will be blacked out on local TV because they fell more than 7,000 tickets short of reaching a sellout.

The Chargers had a streak of 48 straight sellouts, playoffs included. The last Chargers game blacked out was against New Orleans on Nov. 11, 2004.

The Chargers, Southern California's only NFL team, say other games are in danger of being blacked out this season. They say more than 12,000 tickets remain for their next home game against Arizona on Oct. 3.

Games need to be sold out 72 hours before kickoff to avoid a blackout in a 75-mile radius.

Also, the Oakland Raiders' home opener against the St. Louis Rams on Sunday will be blacked out.

The Raiders haven't sold out a game since last year's season opener against San Diego. They have had eight straight blackouts since that game.

Oakland has had 77 of 121 regular-season home games blacked out since moving back from Los Angeles for the 1995 season. This will be Oakland's first home opener since 2004 against Buffalo that will be blacked out locally.

The NFL has given the Detroit Lions a 24-hour extension to sell out its home opener against the Philadelphia Eagles and avoid a local television blackout.

The team announced Thursday it has to sell 2,000 tickets by 1 p.m. EDT to ensure the game will air on local television. The game will not be shown in the Detroit, Lansing, Saginaw-Flint and Toledo, Ohio, markets if all of those tickets are not sold by the deadline.

Detroit sold out four of its eight home games last year despite winning just twice. In 2008, the Lions became the first NFL team to have an 0-16 season.

The Lions also had some of their smallest crowds in two decades, announcing some that were just larger than 40,000.

So Al Davis made a great decision moving back to Oakland I can understand the Lions and Raider fans staying away but the Charger blackout suprises me since they are a good team and with the Jets having issues getting all their tickets sold for the opening game of one of the most anticipated seasons in team history what makes the owners think a lockout will be good for business? I get they are willing to sacrifice short term profits for long term gains (better contract) but with teams already struggling to sell tickets this is really going to make more fans stay away when the lockout ends and football resumes.

They should be making it easier for people to attend games, not harder (PSL's, etc.) I think more and more people are opting to stay at home in front of their big screen tv's and who can blame them with the crazy ticket prices coupled with high food and beer prices.

Rookie
    It's finally happen, they priced out the average fan. People spend a few thousand on these HD TV's and they figure why do I need to go. 105 dollars for the cheapest seat is too much with unemployment at 9-14% depending on what you believe.

Tampa Bay was Blacked Out also

I think they had 41 thousand in their stadium

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

I've been to the Q 4 times and there were always plenty of empty seats. It's an old relic that needs to be replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bolts' owner had been buying them up like Woody did monday. In the face of losing $$$$ next year I guess he didn't care to spend the $$ this yr.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    This is why owners and not the players opted out of the CBA. Players under the current CBA do not feel the impact of this economy when ticket sales and other revenue sources head south.

All Pro
    Oakland and TB are historic losers who have not had much success recently. Oakland shares its market which hurts them, And it must have been 90 degrees in Tampa last Sunday.

I believe it is TV and the advent of the media room that is hurting sales. More and more homes are now set up where 12 people can watch a game in comfort.
    The comradarie is there, beers do not cost $8.00 and your wife can pick you up after the game so no DUI.

Every year TV production gets so much better and every year TV technology gets so much better. The owners seem to have too good of a job making football on TV such a great sport.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Oakland and TB are historic losers who have not had much success recently. Oakland shares its market which hurts them, And it must have been 90 degrees in Tampa last Sunday.

I believe it is TV and the advent of the media room that is hurting sales. More and more homes are now set up where 12 people can watch a game in comfort.
    The comradarie is there, beers do not cost $8.00 and your wife can pick you up after the game so no DUI.

Every year TV production gets so much better and every year TV technology gets so much better. The owners seem to have too good of a job making football on TV such a great sport.
    If I lived in Mass and I had to drive almost to Rhode Island on a one horse one lane road in a huge traffic jam and then pay 50 bucks to park in rat infested garbage dumps, I guess I'd feel the same way, Patman

Fortunately, that isn't the case at the Meadowlands

Undrafted Free Agent
    Thanks for that pithy review of Pats stadium etc. You really bring the keen analysis to this board.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Jeez...
    How unbelievably uninformed can you be ??

Prior to their recent downturn the last 7 years, the Raiders were..by percentage..the winningest team in pro football history.

Put another way, they are HISTORIC WINNERS.

John Madden (did you know he was a coach before the video game ?? ) is statistically the winningest coach in modern pro football history....better than even the immortal Vince Lombardi.

Once again, a Pats* troll comes to this board and reinforces the notion that he belongs to a fan base that started following football in 2001.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Jeez...
    How unbelievably uninformed can you be ??

Prior to their recent downturn the last 7 years, the Raiders were..by percentage..the winningest team in pro football history.

Put another way, they are HISTORIC WINNERS.

John Madden (did you know he was a coach before the video game ?? ) is statistically the winningest coach in modern pro football history....better than even the immortal Vince Lombardi.

Once again, a Pats* troll comes to this board and reinforces the notion that he belongs to a fan base that started following football in 2001.
    BOOM! Roasted.

Hall Of Fame
    actually patman --- if you eliminate the NFL CHEATING ERA (2000-2007) of eight full years, the worst sadsack dump of a franchise since the merger are YOUR VERY OWN SUCKSBORO PATTYCAKES

A loooooooooooooooong time ago when it became clear that the Jets and Giants were staying in NJ and Al Davis was looking for a new home there were rumors that the NFL might consider letting him move to NY. If I remember correctly the proposal called for the team to play at Shea while a new stadium, either in Queens or on Long Island, was built. I always wondered if this would have worked. The New York Raiders. I don't know doesn't sound to bad. Especially as you sit for two hours trying to get over the bridge.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
    A loooooooooooooooong time ago when it became clear that the Jets and Giants were staying in NJ and Al Davis was looking for a new home there were rumors that the NFL might consider letting him move to NY. If I remember correctly the proposal called for the team to play at Shea while a new stadium, either in Queens or on Long Island, was built. I always wondered if this would have worked. The New York Raiders. I don't know doesn't sound to bad. Especially as you sit for two hours trying to get over the bridge.
    All teams in the NFL are staying put for the immediate time being. With state and local governments across the nation under severe budget constraints, I doubt there is a city in the US ready to finance the building of a new stadium to lure a team from another city. Unlike baseball, hockey and basketball, football only offers a few events to make that money back.

Furthermore, financing a new stadium with private money (and PSL's) is not likely to happen again. See NMS.

If a team was likely to move, it would probably be Jacksonville or the Raiders, but where would they go?

1. Vegas? Would the NFL really allow a franchise in the gambling capital of the US?

2. San Antonio, Texas: Although not ideal from a revenue perspective, the Alamodome is a very nice facility and is proably "large enough" to host a team permanently. BUT - SA is a big market for the Cowboys. I doubt Jerry would be happy with a new team near his base.

3. Los Angeles: the NFL wants to move a team there, but the stadiums are not good enough from a revenue perspective. With LA and California flat broke, it would have to be 100% private financed and I doubt anyone would pull the trigger.

That leaves cities with baseball and college football stadiums that would need to be converted. Not going to happen.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Los Angeles: the NFL wants to move a team there, but the stadiums are not good enough from a revenue perspective. With LA and California flat broke, it would have to be 100% private financed and I doubt anyone would pull the trigger.
    Maybe Buzz can give us an update on the Industry City Stadium plan which is, as I remember, privately financed.

The Chargers are blacked out this Sunday for the first time in eons..could see this as Spanos building case to move north.

He hates his Stadium and cannot seem to progress in getting a new one built..

I would keep an eye on this one.