Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kareem McKenzie Can Play Against Ravens Despite DUI Arrest

All Pro

Kareem McKenzie Can Play Against Ravens Despite DUI Arrest

I certainly hope that all the fair-minded, objective members of the the media will include these facts in their discussions of the Braylon Edwards status for Sunday's game.

Kareem McKenzie has been a fixture on the right side of the Giants' offensive line since 2005, and that won't change Sunday - even though he was arrested for driving under the influence earlier this week.

The 29-year-old McKenzie, a former Jet and a New Jersey product, was arrested in Little Falls, N.J., around 9:30 on Thursday night after he was spotted cutting through a gas station. He was pulled over, and the arresting officer gave him a Breathalyzer test, which reportedly showed the blood-alcohol level for the 6-6, 327-pounder to be above the legal limit of .08.

But a team spokesman said Friday that despite the arrest, McKenzie will start Sunday at right tackle against the Baltimore Ravens at Giants Stadium. Tom Coughlin did not address the situation with the media, but in a radio interview later in the day he called McKenzie "a first-class citizen," which appears to be a big factor in why he won't be punished with a lack of playing time this week.

"There's never been a better citizen," Coughlin said on his weekly WFAN spot. "There's not an individual who's had more remorse for what he did. He's not blaming anyone but himself. He's a guy who has been a first-class guy in this organization. He made a mistake. Everybody realizes that. It's an error. It's a mistake. We're disappointed. He's disappointed. But nobody's going to be harder on him than himself."

McKenzie, who still could be fined by the Giants, also may be facing punishment from the NFL since an arrest for DUI is a violation of both the league's substance abuse policy and its Personal Conduct Policy. This incident will be subject to a review by the commissioner's office, and McKenzie could be fined or suspended.

Unless McKenzie was previously in the NFL's substance abuse program - the program is confidential, although this is believed to be McKenzie's first offense - he likely will be subject to only a fine. The maximum fine for violating the league's substance abuse policy is $50,000.

McKenzie left the locker room Friday before the media were aware of the arrest, so he did not discuss the incident. He did, however, release a statement through the team later in the day.

"I spoke with Coach Coughlin and (GM) Jerry Reese (yesterday) morning and expressed my remorse for (Thursday) night's situation," McKenzie's statement said. "I am prepared to deal with the consequences of that situation from both a legal standpoint and as a player in the National Football League."

Coughlin, in his statement from the team, said, "The legal process will take its course, and the league will handle this matter." He did not indicate what, if anything, the team might do.

Coughlin, of course, has punished many, many players with fines in his four-plus years with the Giants for everything from wearing the wrong color socks, to not being early enough to meetings, to violating a long list of team rules. He also has benched several players - including cornerback Aaron Ross last year and receiver Plaxico Burress this year - for seemingly minor infractions.

Burress also was suspended for two weeks (and docked $117,000 in pay) for missing a day of work earlier this season.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...ravens_-2.html

Hall Of Fame
    Whoa, I may just decide to turn into WFAN tomorrow to listen to Francessa take his foot out of his mouth.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Phoenixx.....as you well know....Fatcessa disavowed any knowledge of this today on his show when reminded by a cawla.

Remembers what clothes he wore to see Micky Mandle in '61 at the Stadium though.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Whoa, I may just decide to turn into WFAN tomorrow to listen to Francessa take his foot out of his mouth.
    He will never concede anything when it comes to the Jets. It is obvious that it's personal with him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    He will never concede anything when it comes to the Jets. It is obvious that it's personal with him.

I will listen tomorrow on HYPCORISY-F.A.N., for sure.

Hall Of Fame
    psst, It's an article from 2008. The OP was just trying to make a point.

Veteran
    Post already reported Edwards won't start but will play against miami

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    psst, It's an article from 2008. The OP was just trying to make a point.
    Oh good. I wont have to tune in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    Post already reported Edwards won't start but will play against miami
    They never reported he'd play.

Just that he'd suit up.

Practice Squad
    McAnaney bringing up the McKenzie point right now, Malusis arguing against it on SNY.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Phoenixx.....as you well know....Fatcessa disavowed any knowledge of this today on his show when reminded by a cawla.

Remembers what clothes he wore to see Micky Mandle in '61 at the Stadium though.
    He also admitted last week to meeting Secretariat.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazippy View Post
    He also admitted last week to meeting Secretariat.
    Lolz....a bee-yood-full hawse.

The mosd bee-yood-iful....evah.

Practice Squad

LOL!!! I almost fell off my chair when he said that.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post

Just that he'd suit up.
    Edwards will play Sunday night against the Dolphins. The article below states it in the headline.

http://m.nypost.com/f/mobile/sports/...VWR4lGi6zzHK2O

Rookie

Best post ever. I love the idea of Fatcessa being enamored by horses.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ikazippy View Post
    LOL!!! I almost fell off my chair when he said that.
    Anyone have a clip of that? I'd love to hear him say that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post
    Edwards will play Sunday night against the Dolphins. The article below states it in the headline.

http://m.nypost.com/f/mobile/sports/...VWR4lGi6zzHK2O
    Okay, I should have said reported accurately.

Although entirely possible (and probable) I don't believe Rex has said he'll actually be involved.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadOwnsBrady View Post
    Anyone have a clip of that? I'd love to hear him say that.
    I don't tape his show, it was in context of his discussing the movie about Secretariat. I'm sure after it comes out and Mike sees it he will say it again.

Rookie
    rancessa did pull the "I don't remember" vcard today on McKenzie but did add if he played, he shouldn't have routine.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post

Just that he'd suit up.
    If Rex doesn't play him the NFLPA will file suit with the Jets and NFL. By agreement, players cannot be punished for drinking violations. That's why the Jets have said that they will leave any punishment to the league.