Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: The biggest misconception some Jets fan have regarding B Schottenheimer...

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    17,784

    The biggest misconception some Jets fan have regarding B Schottenheimer...

    I'd like to clarify the biggest misconception Jets fans seem to have when evaluating Schotty Jr.

    It's well known one of my biggest pet peeves on this board is how quick many here are to criticize this guy, question his play calling, his ability to design and run an offense, and play selection. For the life of me, I don't know how any of you arm-chair Offensive coordinators, MYSELF included, think they know more than B Schotty, or any coach, except when it is so blatently obvious, i.e. Paul Hackett, the guy has no clue of what he is doing. To put B Schotty in this classification is just wrong, on so many levels, all you have to do is look at how this offense has evolved this year, how the development of Sanchez has evolved. Even last year, when many were trying to throw Schotty under a bus, I put up a post, as probably did others, about how Schotty has had a starting QB in each of his first 4 years with the team at the position, this is his FIRST year where he has the SAME QB running his system, and in a fashion where he can develop a QB from scratch, and from all accounts, he SHOULD receiving very good grades for the Jets offensive performance, and the progress and maturation of Sanchez.

    All that said, the criticism on his play calling, or play selection, on nearly EVERY play, Sanchize has the ability to audible out of a play based on the defense he is seeing, I would say that probably over 75% of the plays that are called, that many of you blast Schotty for, it was Sanchez who changed the play, based on what he saw at the LOS right before the snap.

    Now, that does NOT mean Schotty is flawless, no coach is, I just feel he is made out to be a scapegoat FAR too often, and with a young franchise QB, I don't want another coach right now, I want consistency with our coaching staff, we have one of the best offenses in the league right now, our passing game is only going to get better now with Holmes into the mix, the OL is playing well and gelling despite the replacment of Faneca with Slauson, we have elite talent at every position, and a lot of depth.

    My point, I think Schotty deserves a reprieve from those that want to escort him out of town for reasons to me that don't make any sense!

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,498
    I feel last nights game was his worst since the first game. He never allowed Sanchez to get into a rhythm. We had too many deep balls trying to force the ball to holmes.

    When you pass on first down it doesn't have to be 20 yards down field. I feel holmes return really distrupted the offense and he should have been worked in slower. Especially the way the offense has been clicking the last few weeks.

    Overall Schotty is a decent O-Coordinator, but not a good one. I definitely hopes he leaves this year.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,144
    Good post, Ray. I was full steam ahead on the "Fire Schotty" bandwagon after the week one loss. Never before have I seen the Jets offense sink so low, resorting to playing absolutely f'ing scared. Such a pathetic game. But to his credit, he's come back extremely well. Last night was tough because Minnesota has arguably the best defense we've seen all year. I was just frustrated at this team's red zone futility last night - don't really know how much of a trend it's been throughout the season so far, would have to look that up. This is something that HAS to get better if we want to be an elite team. You gotta come away with 6 when you get it inside the 20's. We didn't do it once last night, and we had a myriad of opportunities.

    All things considered, I am extremely pleased with Schotty and the offense's progression to this point. His chemistry with Sanchez is vital.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,843
    Apologies for shooting down your whole thread RayRay (Because I usually agree with what you have to say), but I believe the "kills" were removed at Sanchez's request after the Ravens game.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    17,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Apologies for shooting down your whole thread RayRay (Because I usually agree with what you have to say), but I believe the "kills" were removed at Sanchez's request after the Ravens game.
    Cole, that doesn't mean Sanchez is not audibling out of a play, or changing a pass play to a run and vice versa.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I feel last nights game was his worst since the first game. He never allowed Sanchez to get into a rhythm. We had too many deep balls trying to force the ball to holmes.

    When you pass on first down it doesn't have to be 20 yards down field. I feel holmes return really distrupted the offense and he should have been worked in slower. Especially the way the offense has been clicking the last few weeks.

    Overall Schotty is a decent O-Coordinator, but not a good one. I definitely hopes he leaves this year.
    You dont actually believe that the play call is throw it deep no matter what, do you?

    Thats on Sanchez, he reads the D and decides where to throw, to which WR or back.

    Its amazing how little people know about how a play is designed. And then criticize based on little to no knowledge of basics.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 10-12-2010 at 03:53 PM.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,794
    so Ray, your argument is that because nobody on the board will ever be a pro football coach, that we can't have an opinion?


    or just that we can't have an opinion if it's different from yours?

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    17,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    so Ray, your argument is that because nobody on the board will ever be a pro football coach, that we can't have an opinion?


    or just that we can't have an opinion if it's different from yours?
    Yeah, that is exactly what I'm saying...

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    TL/TPDR.

    Has any team fired it's O-Co mid-season, and then won the Super Bowl?

    Has any team fired it's O-Co when they had the 4th ranked scoring Offense?

    No and no.

    You don't fire Coaches or Coordinators Mid-season. Losers do that.

    You evaluate at the end of the year, every year, and judge then if continued emplyment has been earned.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    17,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    TL/TPDR.

    Has any team fired it's O-Co mid-season, and then won the Super Bowl?

    Has any team fired it's O-Co when they had the 4th ranked scoring Offense?

    No and no.

    You don't fire Coaches or Coordinators Mid-season. Losers do that.

    You evaluate at the end of the year, every year, and judge then if continued emplyment has been earned.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Yeah, that is exactly what I'm saying...
    well...


    "For the life of me, I don't know how any of you arm-chair Offensive coordinators, MYSELF included, think they know more than B Schotty, or any coach"


    so because we're not coaches, we're not allowed to criticize their decisions?

    i'm very happy with the way the offense has played the last few weeks, but i thought Schotty called a bad game last night. too many forced/unnecessary passing plays in difficult conditions, which stalled drives and made us settle for FG's instead of TD's. not calling at least one run inside the 5 at the end of the half, when we had the time. giving LT almost 3 times as many reps as Greene, instead of using the latter to punish a tired Vikings D and control the clock late in the game...


    i'm not allowed to say all of that because i'll never be a coach??

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You dont actually believe that the play call is throw it deep no matter what, do you?

    Thats on Sanchez, he reads the D and decides where to throw, to which WR or back.

    Its amazing how little people know about how a play is designed. And then criticize based on little to no knowledge of basics.
    +1 Great Post

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You dont actually believe that the play call is throw it deep no matter what, do you?

    Thats on Sanchez, he reads the D and decides where to throw, to which WR or back.

    Its amazing how little people know about how a play is designed. And then criticize based on little to no knowledge of basics.
    In fairness to the guy you quoted, plays are designed with a set progression. There are certainly plays where the number one option is designed to be a deep ball. If it's not there Sanchez goes through his progressions and throws to the open receiver.

    It's not like Sanchez just picks who he wants to throw to. There is an order he is supposed to use based on the look the defense gives and the look the Jets are trying to give them.

  14. #14
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    well...


    "For the life of me, I don't know how any of you arm-chair Offensive coordinators, MYSELF included, think they know more than B Schotty, or any coach"


    so because we're not coaches, we're not allowed to criticize their decisions?

    i'm very happy with the way the offense has played the last few weeks, but i thought Schotty called a bad game last night. too many forced/unnecessary passing plays in difficult conditions, which stalled drives and made us settle for FG's instead of TD's. not calling at least one run inside the 5 at the end of the half, when we had the time. giving LT almost 3 times as many reps as Greene, instead of using the latter to punish a tired Vikings D and control the clock late in the game...


    i'm not allowed to say all of that because i'll never be a coach??
    You might want to consider the fact that Greene is known to fumble, so in those weather conditions last night, limiting Greene was probably a good thing. I credit the coaches for the decision.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    so Ray, your argument is that because nobody on the board will ever be a pro football coach, that we can't have an opinion?


    or just that we can't have an opinion if it's different from yours?
    Don't you know that the sunshine and rainbows crowd won't let you have your own opinion. Silly Dirtstar.

    I really hope this is Sh*tty's last year with the Jets.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 10-12-2010 at 04:28 PM.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Overall Schotty is a decent O-Coordinator, but not a good one. I definitely hopes he leaves this year.
    I felt going into this season the Jets had a chance to be very good if one thing happened, Sanchez became a good QB who could be more than a game manager for a lethal running attack.

    This is the first year that Shotty has had any QB not be in a QB comp in preseason. It's the first time he had any returning QB ever with the starting job before TC. It's also the first time he has had substantial weapons together in TC.

    Sanchez right now is ahead of every QB in his draft class and probably ahead of every QB drafted in the last 5 years with the possible exception of Matt Ryan. Think coaching had anything to do with it. Think Rivers and Brees might be elite because they were around this guy?

    This team for 4 straight weeks has run a balanced O, moved the ball, scored points and has been an outright nightmare for teams to defend. There is no film that is going to allow a team to take away our O because of it's balance and unpredictability.

    You can nitpick about specific plays in specific spots but to say he isn't a good OC is absurd.

    4 weeks against pretty good competition our O has scored points, moved the ball and been very desciplined as far as penalties and turnovers. We have mixed it up, opened up both the long and short passing games, play action, trap blocking on the run, the stretch play. This team is a nightmare to defend. That is the sign of a very good OC.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,843
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    Don't you know that the sunshine and rainbows crowd won't let you have your own opinion. Silly Dirtstar.

    I really hope this is Sh*tty's last year with the Jets.
    There's an enlightened reply from the Peanut Gallery.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    There's an enlightened reply from the Peanut Gallery.
    This post was extremely enlightening as well sunshine.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    17,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    well...


    "For the life of me, I don't know how any of you arm-chair Offensive coordinators, MYSELF included, think they know more than B Schotty, or any coach"


    so because we're not coaches, we're not allowed to criticize their decisions?

    i'm very happy with the way the offense has played the last few weeks, but i thought Schotty called a bad game last night. too many forced/unnecessary passing plays in difficult conditions, which stalled drives and made us settle for FG's instead of TD's. not calling at least one run inside the 5 at the end of the half, when we had the time. giving LT almost 3 times as many reps as Greene, instead of using the latter to punish a tired Vikings D and control the clock late in the game...


    i'm not allowed to say all of that because i'll never be a coach??
    Read what I wrote.

    It is just pathetic that fans were calling for Schotty Jr's head last night, and still some have suggested they want him gone.

    What I'm saying in this thread, consider that every play executed on the field, is not just the decision of the OC, Sanchez has a lot to do with the play that is called once he gets to the LOS.

    Calling for Schotty Jr's firing after 5 games, when the Jets are amongst the top rated offenses in the league is just retarded, PERIOD.

    You want to question what he does... Have at it. That spell it out for you enough, slowcoach?
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 10-12-2010 at 04:39 PM.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    In fairness to the guy you quoted, plays are designed with a set progression. There are certainly plays where the number one option is designed to be a deep ball. If it's not there Sanchez goes through his progressions and throws to the open receiver.

    It's not like Sanchez just picks who he wants to throw to. There is an order he is supposed to use based on the look the defense gives and the look the Jets are trying to give them.
    It most certainly is that way. He goes through his progressions based on the D formations and coverage. That's why every play has so many options. The D dictates how the progressions are run.

    If the deep ball isn't open he's not supposed to attempt the pass just because it was the first progression. If that were the case it wouldn't be a progression, it would be a hail mary. If he had no choice why would there be a progression?

    If Sanchez sees that the deep ball is open and keeps running the progression to that play, it's not necessarily the case where Shotty called it that way.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 10-12-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us