Thread: Hypothetical Situation

All League

Hypothetical Situation

Ok, let me first say that I do not see this situation occuring, nor do I in any way WANT it to occur. Best case scenario for me (and the Jets and everyone that roots for the Jets) would be for the Jets to go to Detroit this weekend and, feeding off the loss of last week, flat out destroy an inferior NFC team on the road by a margin of about 38 - 10. As a matter of fact, thats what I expect to happen.

But I expected a well rested Jets team coming off of a bye week and playing AT HOME to CRUSH an injury plagued Packers team this past sunday....

So, heres the hypothetical scenario:

The Jets go to Detroit, and lose the game by a score of, oh, say 17 -10 with the Defense playing another good game but the Offense struggling again. Its now been a few weeks since we've seen an efficient game from the passing Offense, and teams are going to line up against the Jets to stop the Run from here on out and dare Sanchez AND Schottenheimer to beat them. Thats what GB did, and thats what Detroit WILL DO on Sunday.

So what if the Offense looks like crap agaion on Sunday against the Lions and it costs the Jets a second game in a row? What if the gameplan on O is completely ineffective (again) and Sanchez is either unwilling or unable to push the ball downfield?

How will you react? I know that many on the board are not fans of Schott, but would this change any minds of those who think Brian has been adequate as an OC? DO you think play calling duties would be changed? DO you think there would be ANY reaction by Rex and the staff?

Just curious, because as I've stated, its been a while since the Jets O has looked at least average, and aside from the second half of the Pats game and the Bills game (against a winless team), the Jets Offense (outside of LT and the O-Line) has looked darn near putrid.

Hall Of Fame
    If they lose to the Lions, all hell breaks loose.

All League
    Wow!

Veteran
    I'd hypotheticly hang myself while slitting my wrists and OD'ing on mescaline.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaT View Post
    Wow!
    More quality insight from the peanut gallery. I guess the Jets having a THIRD stinker in a row on Offense is outside the realm of possibility for you. Either that, or you literally have nothing to offer.

But to be serious, what I HOPE is happening in the wake of the Offensive debacle of this past weekends home shut out is Sanchez getting more vocal and more FORCEFUL about what HE likes to run and what hes more comfortable with. I know the O adjusted after he Ravens game and the O looked much better the weeks after that game, but then against Minnesota, Denver, and of course GB, things seemed to regress again. Much more of the nonsense motion, more of the complex gadget type plays, maore short routes. It seems to throw Sanchez out of his comfort zone.

I really hope Sanchez is TRULY taking ownership of the Offense and telling Brian SPECIFICALLY what he likes to run and feels effective with.
    Last edited by Jet_Engine1; 11-03-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Good teams bounce back from last Sunday, we will see.

Veteran
    There is a very good chance of that happening.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post

But I expected a well rested Jets team coming off of a bye week and playing AT HOME to CRUSH an injury plagued Packers team this past sunday....
    And you were WRONG. A victim of your own expectations for a team that went on vacation.

I feared that we'd come out flat, just like in Week One. I'm guessing we would've played much better had we worked hard all week.

Note to Rex: Next time save vacation for after the Super Bowl.

If we choke against Detroit, it won't be due to dropped balls.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Having been in the stadium, I think many are discounting the effect the wind had on sundays game. That was one of the windier games I have been at and I have gone to pretty much every home game for the last 18 years. I believe that contributed to the drops and inaccurate passes and is the main reason Green Bay was comfortable stacking the box and challenging Sanchez to throw. If the Lions stack up the line to stop the run in their Dome, I think the results will be quite different.

All Pro
    You strip Schotty of his playcalling duties. Let Callhan call the plays with Rex's input as well.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If they lose to the Lions, all hell breaks loose.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Lions > Green Bay

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    More quality insight from the peanut gallery. I guess the Jets having a THIRD stinker in a row on Offense is outside the realm of possibility for you. Either that, or you literally have nothing to offer.

But to be serious, what I HOPE is happening in the wake of the Offensive debacle of this past weekends home shut out is Sanchez getting more vocal and more FORCEFUL about what HE likes to run and what hes more comfortable with. I know the O adjusted after he Ravens game and the O looked much better the weeks after that game, but then against Minnesota, Denver, and of course GB, things seemed to regress again. Much more of the nonsense motion, more of the complex gadget type plays, maore short routes. It seems to throw Sanchez out of his comfort zone.

I really hope Sanchez is TRULY taking ownership of the Offense and telling Brian SPECIFICALLY what he likes to run and feels effective with.

I hope some of that is happening and continues to happen. But I'm still not off the Shotty bandwagon....or the luke warm train. I don't think he fundamentally did a bad job play calling on Sunday. Yes, the offense overall was pathetic so that's ultimately on him, but it was an amalgamation of drops, penalties and timely turnovers that did them in...not necessarily the play calling.

The Packers can say that they knew what was coming on 3rd down, but I don't recall them stopping Holmes coming over the middle for a reception that would have been a huge gain/TD.

the Offense didn't have any rhythm going, but that was in large part on account of the mistakes above. After Greene has an 8 yd run, Shotty makes the right call (in my mind) to run it again to pick up the 1st down...instead of the first down, they get a holding call, their back in 2nd and 12 and the drive goes to sh!t.

I expect there to be an outcry if the Jets Offense sh!ts the bed again, so perhaps something will change....but I'm far from at my wits end with the playcalling we've seen thus far. There's always room for improvement, and I take issue with certain calls, but that's always to be expected.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Lions > Green Bay
    I say the lions are a good and dangerous team to play, It will be a tough game, these are not the lions of the last 2 years, they will come to meow our eyes out. so we better bring our a game

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crayc View Post
    they will come to meow our eyes out

bad kitty!

All League
    Good topic and post.

I suspect Rex would want Sanchize to go back to a smaller group of plays for the game instead of the whole open book thing. I don't think he would scale it back to the way it was last year, but I suspect he would say hey Schotty this ain't working.

Also, I have to say that while I was/I'm disappointed in the loss to the Packs and the fact we scored zero points, I do realize that Sanchize isn't the only problem - our WR's need to catch the ball better. I am still behind Sanchize and think he needs the rest of this season to make his mark and get better.
    Remember he only started a year full of games in college he's missing a year of playing that most QB's already have from college days. I'm not using this point as an excuse, but he's not progressing as fast as other QB's partly because of less time spent behind center in college.

Veteran
    I am not worried about the Lions, but the Browns are pretty good against the run.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by 20andout View Post
    Having been in the stadium, I think many are discounting the effect the wind had on sundays game. That was one of the windier games I have been at and I have gone to pretty much every home game for the last 18 years. I believe that contributed to the drops and inaccurate passes and is the main reason Green Bay was comfortable stacking the box and challenging Sanchez to throw. If the Lions stack up the line to stop the run in their Dome, I think the results will be quite different.
    If it was that damn windy.. my pass plays wouldn't double the amount of carries my 2 backs had combined!!! I don't give a **** if they stack the box or not!!! We can run vs 8 in the box and if they got 9 up then you throw it(someone should get wide open vs that defensive look). The elements are no excuse for losing a football game!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    a new 5 game winning streak starts this week