Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesson from last night's Falcons' win

All League

Lesson from last night's Falcons' win

The Falcons have a very good running game, which typically makes successful passing easier for Matt Ryan. Inevitably, there are games where the run isn't clicking, and the QB has to carry the team with his arm. That's exactly what happened last night. The Ravens stuffed the run most of the night and dared Ryan to beat them with the pass. And he did.

When this has happened to the Jets this season, its been a mixed bag. To win the AFC, against defenses like the Ravens and the Steelers, Sanchez will have to step up his accuracy and complete passes against tight coverage, not just in the last four minutes of the game, but the entire game. Sanchez' accuracy is the key. Not so much the long ball, but the slants, outs, screens and dump offs. And the Jets' receivers will need to catch the ball when it's there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    The Falcons have a very good running game, which typically makes successful passing easier for Matt Ryan. Inevitably, there are games where the run isn't clicking, and the QB has to carry the team with his arm. That's exactly what happened last night. The Ravens stuffed the run most of the night and dared Ryan to beat them with the pass. And he did.

When this has happened to the Jets this season, its been a mixed bag. To win the AFC, against defenses like the Ravens and the Steelers, Sanchez will have to step up his accuracy and complete passes against tight coverage, not just in the last four minutes of the game, but the entire game. Sanchez' accuracy is the key. Not so much the long ball, but the slants, outs, screens and dump offs. And the Jets' receivers will need to catch the ball when it's there.
    Agree 100%. And it's kind of obvious but worth saying again, especially after the Falcons demonstrated it last night.

As good as our running game may be, the Jets' Super Bowl hopes don't rely on the legs of LT or Shonn Greene, they rely on the arm of Mark Sanchez.

All Pro
    Roddy White says hi.

All League
    Why do the Falcon's get credit? isn't a loss in the last minut of the game the fault of the lossing team and not a measure of winning team? tht's what I have learned in the last few weeks....

I'll tell you what lesson was reinforced and hopefully finally learned by schotty...when you have a #1 receiver, YOU GO TO HIM!!

The ravens threw to boldin with almost blind confidence when they needed a play, whether he was covered or not. Roddy had two critical drops in the fourth, yet he was the one they went to every time they needed a play.

We have a receiver that ppl don't want to believe in and who everyone has something negative to say about, but he's crazy good. Ppl forget that Braylon was a top draft pick, and three years into his career, he had a GREAT season (the one year he had a consistent QB in cleveland), and going into his fourth year ppl were proclaiming him one of the best receivers in the league. Well everyone, he's back to beast mode and for some reason we only look to him 4 times a game if the coverages allow it....

Braylon needs to be the first progression every single time we need a play, and we HAVE to use him more than we are currently. Just look at boldin and white last night. Their teams didn't wait for the right coverages, they just trusted their guy
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 11-12-2010 at 12:49 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    Why do the Falcon's get credit? isn't a loss in the last minut of the game the fault of the lossing team and not a measure of winning team? tht's what I have learned in the last few weeks....
    Only when the losing team is not the Jets. When it is the Jets all the fault again falls squarly on the shoulders of the losing team, particularly our OC. At least according to SOJF.

That said, the Ravens looked as devastated as I've seen any team after Ryan threw that game winner. Wonder what kind of effect this will have on their season?

All Pro
    I agree, gotta give braylon the benefit sometimes. He hasn't been dropping many balls and does good to make the DB doesn't come down with the ball when the pass is off the mark. (pun)

I think this is a great point. Seems like Sanchez has some trouble making these short throws, especially screens and dumpoff passes, which are what really hurts his completion %. Seems like the intermediate and long passes are not as much a problem.

The good thing is, I think this can be fixed much easier than if it was the other way around and he was struggling with the more difficult throws downfield.

All League
    I think the Falcons showed us that the Ravens are beatable and going conservative is not the thing to do....trust the QB to make throws as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Roddy White says hi.
    He is great, but he actually had 2 huge drops on the final 2 drives which almost cost them the game.

Atlanta doesn't scare me at all. I'd be pretty confident if we faced them in the super bowl. Ryan looked terrible against us last year. Revis would take White out of the game, only matchup problem I see is Gonzalez, but I guess we could just double him. Turner won't be able to beat us.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    I think the Falcons showed us that the Ravens are beatable and going conservative is not the thing to do....trust the QB to make throws as well!!
    Pats and Bungals showed that as well. Gotta throw the ball to beat the ravens D, although we ran the ball pretty well against them.

All Pro
    If we give the ball to Shonn Greene more, our running game will click. Falcons dont have an offensive line like we do. We can run on anyone if we give it to the right guy.

Its Greene time baby. Get it going.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Pats and Bungals showed that as well. Gotta throw the ball to beat the ravens D, although we ran the ball pretty well against them.
    Browns Hillis ran for 155 against the ravens............. and lost.
    Like Jaworski likes to say every week

Points come out of the passing game

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    I'll tell you what lesson was reinforced and hopefully finally learned by schotty...when you have a #1 receiver, YOU GO TO HIM!!

The ravens threw to boldin with almost blind confidence when they needed a play, whether he was covered or not. Roddy had two critical drops in the fourth, yet he was the one they went to every time they needed a play.

We have a receiver that ppl don't want to believe in and who everyone has something negative to say about, but he's crazy good. Ppl forget that Braylon was a top draft pick, and three years into his career, he had a GREAT season (the one year he had a consistent QB in cleveland), and going into his fourth year ppl were proclaiming him one of the best receivers in the league. Well everyone, he's back to beast mode and for some reason we only look to him 4 times a game if the coverages allow it....

Braylon needs to be the first progression every single time we need a play, and we HAVE to use him more than we are currently. Just look at boldin and white last night. Their teams didn't wait for the right coverages, they just trusted their guy

its sad but as i was watching it, i was thinking "wow that was a good play call..." or "good flow to the offense..."

i was ambivelent about schotty but after seeing a performance by both cam camron and mike mularkey...im starting to sway

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    its sad but as i was watching it, i was thinking "wow that was a good play call..." or "good flow to the offense..."

i was ambivelent about schotty but after seeing a performance by both cam camron and mike mularkey...im starting to sway
    Falcons definitely seemed to be "pass first" for much of the game. BUT...and this is huge...Ryan was completing some passes into tight coverage, which makes the offensive coordinator look like a genius.

If the Jets QB and WR hook up consistently like that, I think we'd all be weak-kneed when mentioning Schotty's name.

All Pro
    Ravens looked like they wore down over the game. The passing did beat them and Ryan was sharp. This is a game that they may have lost on the road.

Veteran
    The lesson should be that when you can run the ball well, then run the ball. For some reason, the Ravens think they are a passing team now. It cost them last night and it almost cost them against the Bills.

Veteran

I think the biggest lesson from last nitght's game is that the refs continue to decide games. How Roddy White's pushoff on the DB that led to the winning TD was not an Offensive PI is beyond me.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRAGE View Post
    The lesson should be that when you can run the ball well, then run the ball. For some reason, the Ravens think they are a passing team now. It cost them last night and it almost cost them against the Bills.
    What this guy says.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    As good as our running game may be, the Jets' Super Bowl hopes don't rely on the legs of LT or Shonn Greene, they rely on the arm of Mark Sanchez.
    I thought it relied on Revis.