Thread: Cole Out. Wilson to see more PT?

All Pro

Cole Out. Wilson to see more PT?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...or_increa.html

After Kyle Wilson spent several weeks in a diminished role, mostly on the bench, Rex Ryan sees a different player.

"He's back to being the guy we drafted," the Jets coach said. "You can give up completions in this league, everybody does, but I think he was almost at the stage where he expected the guy to complete the ball on him. And it was like, 'Come on, kid.' "

The first-round pick will see time back in the nickel corner role this week and appears in line to start there after taking all the reps with the first-team defense today at that spot. Ryan said Wilson will alternate with Drew Coleman, who has manned the nickel corner spot the past few weeks, and both will see significant time in nickel and dime packages.

The diminished playing time over the past few weeks was new to Kyle Wilson, a former star at Boise State and Piscataway. But he said he took it as a challenge, and kept a good attitude.

"I just had to take it positively and do what you can," he said. "I was just studying and envisioning myself out there and continuing to learn."

CB Marquice Cole (hamstring) has been ruled out. LB Josh Mauga (hamstring) was limited today and is questionable.

RB Shonn Greene did not practice today for personal reasons. He is probable, along with LG Matt Slauson (knee), CB Darrelle Revis (hamstring), LB Calvin Pace (foot) and RT Damien Woody (knee).

Woody dislocated his finger in last week's game but hurt his knee in the weight room earlier this week. He had swelling but is good to go. Last week, David Harris injured his back in the weight room. Ryan said the team's goal is to have their players be the strongest at the end of the season, so players fully exert themselves in the weight room.

The Jets have instituted an organization-wide push-up mandate when a player commits a penalty, all the way up to owner Woody Johnson. The penalty tally today was one, on TE Ben Hartsock, so everyone in the organization except him had to do 10 push-ups.

"I wouldn’t be real comfortable if I had the owner doing push-ups," Ryan said. "The No. 1 thing, in my opinion, is we gotta get better at the self-inflicted wounds. We think it's one way of doing it."

Browns coach Eric Mangini took a playful jab at Ryan Thursday, referencing Ryan's lap-ban surgery to drop weight. "I think everyone in New York is happy about that," Mangini said, "except maybe Macy's losing one of their floats."

"I understand Eric Mangini took a shot," Ryan said in good humor. "There's no question about it, he staggered me. But I have one last thing to say to Eric Mangini: You just made the list, buddy."

(Apparently, that last line was a reference to the movie "Stripes." Went over my head.)

All Pro
    I really hope he's improved. The slot position has been killing us all year. And Coleman has decided to suck once again.

Veteran
    Glad to hear this cause coleman is terrible. Wilsons biggest problem was getting his head turned around in time, he always had good coverage on his man but never found the ball. Luckily thats a technique problem and is corrected with reps & studying.

btw im glad to see Mangini coming out of his "mini billicheat" shell and being more of himself. Gotta admit that line was pretty funny and i never thought id ever say Mangini and Funny in the same sentance.

Waterboy
    I hope whoever replaces Cole as the gunner on punts is up to the task. M.Cole has done well in that role and is always the first guy down there. We can't let Cribbs beat us.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... k-dub is our best chance to improve at the cb covering the slot wr spot ...

... if this talented kid came step up it will greatly improve our chances against top offenses ...

l_j_r

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

We still haven't seen a trio of (healthy) Revis, Cromartie, and Wilson. Should be tough to pass on us the rest of the way if Wilson can hold his own and make some plays on the ball.
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 11-13-2010 at 01:19 PM.

All League
    Dear Kyle,

Please don't make me think of the Ghost when I hear your name . . . because it's starting to happen

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    Dear Kyle,

Please don't make me think of the Ghost when I hear your name . . . because it's starting to happen
    Woah not even close man... Gholston has been an epic fail. At least wilson batted down some passes and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavilion View Post
    Gotta admit that line was pretty funny and i never thought id ever say Mangini and Funny in the same sentance.
    I used to say it all the time.

Examples:

The lack of the blitz by Mangini really isn't funny.

It's funny how Mangini went from aggressive to impotent in his approach.

Isn't it funny how we used to think Mangini was a genious?

Mangini took down the Browns Wall of Fame, isn't that funny.

Mangini handed us Braylon and Sanchez, that's really funny.

I have a funny feeling Mangini will never blitz again.
    Last edited by TurkJetFan; 11-13-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    Dear Kyle,

not even close to a fair comparison. Gholston has been a bust of epic proportions..

Wilson is in his rookie year, has flashed, but isn't quite there yet...BIG difference.

When did Gholston ever remotely flash?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... k-dub is a rookie playing like one ...

... he is on a normal learning curve ...

... he is not even on the same planet as the ghost yet ...

l_j_r

All League
    Was listening to Gil Brandt on the radio last night. He's old as dirt, but seems to still be VERY well connected in the league.

Without even being asked about Wilson, he made a point to say that he's hearing that people in the organization are very, very (yes, he repeated the word "very") disappointed with him, and that they did not get the player they thought they were drafting.

From most commentators or "experts" or even reporters, I wouldn't put much weight on this. But Brandt is rarely critical of players, and I don't think he's a guy who would say something so strongly unless he's heard from several very reliable sources. So...it worried me.

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... k-dub is a rookie playing like one ...

... he is on a normal learning curve ...

... he is not even on the same planet as the ghost yet ...

l_j_r
    Id agree about the Ghost point, but Im not so sure its a normal learning curve. Most, certainly not all, corners drafted in his position usually saw a decent amount of PT as rookies. They may not have started but they did play. Wilson seems to be buried about 5 deep on the corner depth chart and the team does not even see fit to play him. If they do up his playtime this week its going to be for a confidence boost as he is matching up against another 1st round corner who does play and will be playing against the worst group of wideouts in the NFL.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    Id agree about the Ghost point, but Im not so sure its a normal learning curve. Most, certainly not all, corners drafted in his position usually saw a decent amount of PT as rookies. They may not have started but they did play. Wilson seems to be buried about 5 deep on the corner depth chart and the team does not even see fit to play him. If they do up his playtime this week its going to be for a confidence boost as he is matching up against another 1st round corner who does play and will be playing against the worst group of wideouts in the NFL.
    ya but most team's starting CBs aren't Revis & Cromartie...We knew when he was drafted how deep we were @ the position..Wilson will eventually burst through...coleman-lowery-wilson are 3 very important players for the jets

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...or_increa.html

After Kyle Wilson spent several weeks in a diminished role, mostly on the bench, Rex Ryan sees a different player.

"He's back to being the guy we drafted," the Jets coach said. "You can give up completions in this league, everybody does, but I think he was almost at the stage where he expected the guy to complete the ball on him. And it was like, 'Come on, kid.' "

The first-round pick will see time back in the nickel corner role this week and appears in line to start there after taking all the reps with the first-team defense today at that spot. Ryan said Wilson will alternate with Drew Coleman, who has manned the nickel corner spot the past few weeks, and both will see significant time in nickel and dime packages.

The diminished playing time over the past few weeks was new to Kyle Wilson, a former star at Boise State and Piscataway. But he said he took it as a challenge, and kept a good attitude.

"I just had to take it positively and do what you can," he said. "I was just studying and envisioning myself out there and continuing to learn."

CB Marquice Cole (teh suck) has been ruled out. LB Josh Mauga (hamstring) was limited today and is questionable.
    Fixed.

Im with ya KW!

All Pro
    Finally. Wilson definitely has the athletic ability to shut down an opposing receiver--lets just hope his technique has improved.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

A couple of excellent tackles today, and a good punt return. We got some return on our 1st round investment today.