Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Charlie Weis headed to Florida

Waterboy

Question ESPN: Charlie Weis headed to Florida

Chris Mortensen has reported and tweeted that Weis is leaving KC when their season is over and is headed to the Gators - mostly because Haley did not give him full control of the offense this season.

Do you think this has any consequences for KC in the playoffs? Maybe Haley strips Weis completely and it messes up their scheme? Just trying to think of it as a positive spin for the Jets if they do face off in Wild Card weekend

@mortreport
    Chris Mortensen
    @chiefsstl Weis remains w team thru playoffs. No announcement & nothing finalized with Fla. But looks like he's a goner, 1 way or another.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by louie3020 View Post
    Chris Mortensen has reported and tweeted that Weis is leaving KC when their season is over and is headed to the Gators - mostly because Haley did not give him full control of the offense this season.

Do you think this has any consequences for KC in the playoffs? Maybe Haley strips Weis completely and it messes up their scheme? Just trying to think of it as a positive spin for the Jets if they do face off in Wild Card weekend

@mortreport
    Chris Mortensen
    @chiefsstl Weis remains w team thru playoffs. No announcement & nothing finalized with Fla. But looks like he's a goner, 1 way or another.
    Nothing worse than a Lame duck Coordinator. Who knows how that affects them....

All Pro
    Charlie Weis = moron.

You've got it made as an NFL Offensive Coordinator, why in the world do you keep heading back to college only to epically fail?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Charlie Weis = moron.

You've got it made as an NFL Offensive Coordinator, why in the world do you keep heading back to college only to epically fail?
    Bingo!! He failed miserably at Notre Dame and I don't see much success for him in Florida. I'm shocked a big SEC program like Florida would even contact Wiess for an interview. Looks like Florida made a hasty decision to me. He's a Coordinator plain and simple. He should be on the sidelines with a clip board or in the booth calling plays for the offense.

EDIT:
    Actually Florida wants Wies to be the Offensive Coordinator for the new Head Coach for Will Muschamp. That makes more sense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5974715
    Last edited by Cool Papa B.; 01-01-2011 at 08:09 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Bingo!! He failed miserably at Notre Dame and I don't see much success for him in Florida. I'm shocked a big SEC program like Florida would even contact Wiess for an interview. Looks like Florida made a hasty decision to me. He's a Coordinator plain and simple. He should be on the sidelines with a clip board or in the booth calling plays for the offense.

EDIT:
    Actually Florida wants Wies to be the Offensive Coordinator for the new Head Coach for Will Muschamp. That makes more sense.

I was gonna say, what has Weis done to deserve that job?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    EDIT:

That's a nice gig.

All Pro
    KC will be fine come playoff time...I don't believe that it will effect Weis at all, he is a pro... Unfortunately

All League
    Maybe Rex should take a cue and limit Schotty's playcalling...

All League
    There are a couple of possible reasons....if this proves out to be true. First and most obvious is that that there is a rift between Hailey and Weiss. Hailey is supposedly an ego maniac who got his rep on the offensive side. I'm sure its painful for him to see credit for the offensive success KC has gotten going to Weiss.

The other less obvious reason is that after several years in the college game, Charlie came back to the NFL and found he didn't like the long hours demanded of NFL coaches these days.

Say its true and he's going to FLA. Sounds like a nice gig. He gets to coach in meaningful games. He has control over the offense. His coaching time has shrunk significantly, and he gets to live/retire to FLA....and did I mention that the money will be good too.

As for KC and the playoffs, I'm sure they will get Charlie's best efforts Like someone said before....nice gig.

Banned
    Charlie Weis = moron.

Epically fail as a Coordinator? Doubt it. Did you see the Gators offense this year? Its worse than the Jets. And Charlie knows offense.

This is great news for the Gators if true. He runs a pro style offense and is going to finally attract pro style skillz players. What young QB doesnt want to learn a pro style offense from Charlie Weis at one of the best programs in the country?

He's probably seen the stud that is Jeff Driskel too. Very interested to see what he can do with him for the next 4 years.

The only draw back is that I could see is how is his strong personality going to mesh with a rookie HC.
    Last edited by JiF; 01-01-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    he's going there as the OC, not the HC. College is easier for second rate coaches --- see Pete Carroll for example

Banned
    Charlie Weis = moron.

vs.

I'm going to Gainesville too.

Hall Of Fame
    So Jailbait vs. SharkBait?

I'll take Jailbait, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    KC will be fine come playoff time...I don't believe that it will effect Weis at all, he is a pro... Unfortunately
    He's also FAT.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charlie Weis = moron.

Dude, have you seen the chicks on the beaches in Florida?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Dude, have you seen the chicks on the beaches in Florida?
    That would imply that Weiss would take a risk at getting arrested ala Lawrence Taylor then.

I kind of doubt that's his reason for wanting to take the job.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by louie3020 View Post

Unfortunately for the Chiefs, they won't be playing the Raiders (2), Broncos (2), Browns, 49ers, Seahawks, Texans, Cardinals, Rams and Titans like they did during the regular season.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Unfortunately for the Chiefs, they won't be playing the Raiders (2), Broncos (2), Browns, 49ers, Seahawks, Texans, Cardinals, Rams and Titans like they did during the regular season.
    Can you imagine if the Jets played those teams? We'd be 14-1 right now with one game to go.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Charlie Weis = moron.

Because no one has it made as well as big program college coaches and their high profile asst coaches?

Much, much better than NFL.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    That would imply that Weiss would take a risk at getting arrested ala Lawrence Taylor then.

I kind of doubt that's his reason for wanting to take the job.
    He's coaching college, not high school. It's all good.

Veteran
    shame. KC really hit the jackpot in getting weiss & crenell. hopefully for us it will be a distraction