View Poll Results: Is this year's Jets team better than last year's team?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the Jets are better than last year

47 71.21%
  • No, last year's team was better

19 28.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple question - Are the Jets better now than last year?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Simple question - Are the Jets better now than last year?

Sure, they started great and hit a rough patch towards the middle/end of this season. But this year's Jets are an 11 win team vs. 9 last year. The defense seems less dominant even though we've upgraded at the #2 CB spot and added Jason Taylor for spot passrush duty. The running game is no longer #1 in the League but still looks good. Sanchez is an improved but not yet great player.

So, simple question, is this year's Jets team better than last year or not?
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-02-2011 at 10:38 PM.

All League
    so far i have to say yes.... we didnt win the division for a long a$$ time but we are still in the playoffs despite that.

Our QB is better due to 16 games he's played this year. Our offense is better with the additions of Edwards and Holmes. The rub is our defense. No too little pass rush and our blitz packages are not getting the job done this season. All in all we are better but not by a huge amount.

Hall Of Fame
    Slightly better overall at this point last year.

QB is better
    Run game is not as good
    Pass rush is worse
    WR's as a whole are better
    2nd QB is better
    Safeties perhaps worse.

The big problem I see for this next game is we are not better in a key department, our 3rd and 4ht cover guys. Indy beat us senseless in the 2nd half last year because we could not cover their 3rd and 4th receivers.

All League
    Personally, I believe they are a better team this year.

Last year our defense was better, but its not like we are horrible on D this year either. Our STs are just as good, if not better this year. Offense is definatley better as a whole this year as well.

Now, you can definatley argue that the level of competition this year is tougher than last year. New England is a dominant team, the Colts are still a very tough team, then you have Baltimore and Pittsburgh in their who are always a tough out.

The Jets have taken a step forward this season, IMO, and have a bright future ahead of them regardless of what happens Saturday night or the rest of the playoffs.

All League
    our blitz has become more predictable than last year imo... most quarterbacks have adjusted from 8-10 step drops to 4-8 step... we need to work on that a lil if it can be done...

11-5
    close thread

Team is about the same, but we might not see the same run because the road is considerably tougher. To make the AFCCG we'd have to go to Indy then to NE. That is far more difficult than going to Cincy and SD.

Rookie
    We are better on paper, but we finished the season stronger last year, and we won only a hadfull of games convincingly, I had a better feeling about last years team.

All Pro
    Loaded question. We are 100 times better talent-wise and about 3 times worse play-wise.

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Rex and Tanny went out and got big names to put up points on offense. They also tinkered with our secondary. These moves were made to make up for the small difference in the outcome of last year's AFC Championship game. Here is that same opponent so now we'll see if it worked.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Rex and Tanny went out and got big names to put up points on offense. They also tinkered with our secondary. These moves were made to make up for the small difference in the outcome of last year's AFC Championship game. Here is that same opponent so now we'll see if it worked.
    +1 good observation...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... yes ... see sanchez, mark ...

l_j_r

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    11-5
    close thread

simple answer no .... a DOMINANT running game, DOMINANT O-line, DOMINANT defense ... that gives you a chance to beat any elite team. This year we don't have any of that but have a more explosive offense. I like our team last year much better. Our record wasn't indicative to how good of a team we were and it eventually showed the more we played. This year the more we play we're showing we're not as good as the record shows. Plain and simple last year's team was just much more dominant in certain phases and had an identity. We weren't explosive but we knew what we were and what we were was better than anybody else at what we were good at lol ... makes sense? This year not the case ...

All Pro
    The 2 most important aspects of football:
    running the ball
    defense

we are worse at both this year then last. So ill say last years team was playing better.

They are better in the sense that they have more faith in Sanchez and you wont see them go ultra conservative and play not to lose, but in every other aspect this is not as good of a team. I do think that for the Colts game itself the Jets will matchup better than they did last year simply because of the QB. The defense played so badly in the last 31 or 32 minutes that the fact that this defense is statistically worse probably does not play into the result.

All Pro
    I'd say overall we're probably better, certainly more consistent and balanced.

The difference is, we're not as dominant in what we do well. We're a defense first team and the defense isn't as good.

Ultimately, I think our chances are worse because the road to the SB is tougher and I have less confidence in our stronger unit.

All League
    Our defense carried us last year.

It wont this year.

So worse

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    simple answer no .... a DOMINANT running game, DOMINANT O-line, DOMINANT defense ... that gives you a chance to beat any elite team. This year we don't have any of that but have a more explosive offense. I like our team last year much better. Our record wasn't indicative to how good of a team we were and it eventually showed the more we played. This year the more we play we're showing we're not as good as the record shows. Plain and simple last year's team was just much more dominant in certain phases and had an identity. We weren't explosive but we knew what we were and what we were was better than anybody else at what we were good at lol ... makes sense? This year not the case ...
    Man, I thank God I'm not you.
    You protect yourself. Big time, Looking behind you.
    You always find anything negative and make it a drag.
    I hope you have a good year. Your attitute kinda sucks, no offence.
    Live it well.
    The Jets did great this Year 11-5 is all good in my book.
    Last edited by JI; 01-03-2011 at 12:03 AM.