Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who would Hire Young Mr. Shotty as a HC?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Who would Hire Young Mr. Shotty as a HC?

Thus far, openings in Carolina (Fox not retained), Cleveland (Mangini canned), Cincinatti (Lewis not retained), San Francisco (Singletary canned) and Denver (Cheatriot channed).

Also Dallas (filled) and Minesotta (filled).

Am I missing any other confirmed openeings? Who else will soon be open, reports this morning say Oakland (Cable to be fired).

So.

With these openings, and both Gruden and Cowher available, who would consider hiring Shotty Jr. as their Head Coach, do you think?
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.

No, and I'm a big fan.

Lets see how the playoffs go...Personally, if the Jets were smart they'd try to keep him for Sanchez Year 3 if they don't win anything significant this year...If they win this year then f it everyone who gets a better job offer can go.

Banned
    I think Oakland would consider him.

Also, even though the Dallas and Minnesota jobs are "filled", I think that is more a case of those owners positioning themselves for a year without football than it is them hiring the coach they want. Both guys are under contract at cheap rates, so - if you think there is going to be no football next year (which I think both the Dallas and MN owners feel is the case), might as well just keep a low-cost interim coach in place.

I think the next actual game the Dallas Cowboys play will be coached by either Bill Cowher or Jeff Fisher. Not sure about Minnesota.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    I think Oakland would consider him.

Also, even though the Dallas and Minnesota jobs are "filled", I think that is more a case of those owners positioning themselves for a year without football than it is them hiring the coach they want. Both guys are under contract at cheap rates, so - if you think there is going to be no football next year (which I think both the Dallas and MN owners feel is the case), might as well just keep a low-cost interim coach in place.

I think the next actual game the Dallas Cowboys play will be coached by either Bill Cowher or Jeff Fisher. Not sure about Minnesota.
    I'd read that Oakland are thinking about canning Cable so they can promote, and thus retain, their own OC, (whose name escapes me). They fear he may get a better offer elsewhere.

Rookie
    UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I wouldn't quite call myself a fan, but I do see some positives in Shotty. That being said, I never thought Shotty as a HC was a viable possibility either last year or this one. I think those stories were just fluff when reporters don't really know what to talk about. The Jets are doing well - so their young Coordinator MUST be in line for a HC job.....or so the story goes.

Of course, if the Jets put together a couple of nice offensive game plans, I'm sure there will at least be talk about him getting an interview. Premature, IMO.

I think we've seen the danger in hiring these "one stop" young Coordinators. It would behoove a young and up in coming coach to be an ass't with more than one Franchise before they attempt to ascend to a HC job. I guess Shotty was with a few teams prior to the Jets, but that was mostly as his father's lackey. Likewise, McDaniels and Mangini didn't really have much experience other than with the Pats. Ideally, its good to have legit experience in more than once place - it gives you access to different coaches, players, thoughts, ideas and the way things are done in the league.

Mangini really only knew the Bellichek way of doing things and, as we can see, that's not very easily emulated. Mark Carrier, an ambitious coach with an eye towards his future, did a smart thing: he switched teams and took a job as the coach of a different position than he is familiar with from his own experience. I'd say that in a couple of years, he'll be a much more attractive candidate for a Coordinator's job on account of both of those switches.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    who would consider hiring Shotty Jr. as their Head Coach
    Nobody in their right mind. Which means Al Davis is a possibility.

Veteran
    I can see him coaching Carolina and leading them to another few seasons of crap.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    the Jets offense was 20th overall in 2009, improving to 12th overall in 2010.

Schotty actually did a good job this year.

also to answer Warfish's question, Schotty's known for developing QBs so whichever franchise drafts a QB high and needs a HC could be a fit. Carolina for example i think he's the 2nd choice if Russ Grimm doesn't take the job.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I wouldn't quite call myself a fan, but I do see some positives in Shotty. That being said, I never thought Shotty as a HC was a viable possibility either last year or this one. I think those stories were just fluff when reporters don't really know what to talk about. The Jets are doing well - so their young Coordinator MUST be in line for a HC job.....or so the story goes.

Of course, if the Jets put together a couple of nice offensive game plans, I'm sure there will at least be talk about him getting an interview. Premature, IMO.

I think we've seen the danger in hiring these "one stop" young Coordinators. It would behoove a young and up in coming coach to be an ass't with more than one Franchise before they attempt to ascend to a HC job. I guess Shotty was with a few teams prior to the Jets, but that was mostly as his father's lackey. Likewise, McDaniels and Mangini didn't really have much experience other than with the Pats. Ideally, its good to have legit experience in more than once place - it gives you access to different coaches, players, thoughts, ideas and the way things are done in the league.

Mangini really only knew the Bellichek way of doing things and, as we can see, that's not very easily emulated. Mark Carrier, an ambitious coach with an eye towards his future, did a smart thing: he switched teams and took a job as the coach of a different position than he is familiar with from his own experience. I'd say that in a couple of years, he'll be a much more attractive candidate for a Coordinator's job on account of both of those switches.
    Jesus, Crash. Knock it off. You're going to get banned with all this rational analysis crap.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Schotty actually did a good job this year.
    Yeah, he's been great.

Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    Yeah, he's been great.
    Hasn't been great but things definitely improved and the numbers don't lie.

Top 12 offense isn't a bad thing to have considering a 2nd year QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Thus far, openings in Carolina (Fox not retained), Cleveland (Mangini canned), Cincinatti (Lewis not retained), Dallas (filled) and Minesotta (filled).

Am I missing any other confirmed openeings? Who else will soon be open, reports this morning say Oakland (Cable to be fired).

So.

With these openings, and both Gruden and Cowher available, who would consider hiring Shotty Jr. as their Head Coach, do you think?
    A team that doesn't want to spend money on a coach and doesn't want the HC to have alot of power...

Gruden and Cowher both will want major $$ and power..

So Cincy, Carolina, off the top of my head....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    A team that doesn't want to spend money on a coach and doesn't want the HC to have alot of power...

Gruden and Cowher both will want major $$ and power..

So Cincy, Carolina, off the top of my head....
    Cincy is probably a good call.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think Cincinnati is official yet, but you're forgetting Denver (McDaniels canned, interim not likely to be kept), and San Francisco (Singletary canned, interim not likely to be kept).

As for the hotseat, Marvin Lewis definately fits in there, Cable in Oakland is reportedly on the hotseat, Kubiak in Houston seems likely to be kept, but you can't really rule it out until something is official. Sparano in Miami is on the hot seat, Jeff Fisher might be out in Tennessee if he's unwilling to work with Vince Young.

Although I haven't read anything suggesting he's on the hot seat, I can't quite figure out how Del Rio still has a job in Jacksonville.

Point is, there's every chance we could be looking at 10 or so coaching changes.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 01-03-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Thus far, openings in Carolina (Fox not retained), Cleveland (Mangini canned), Cincinatti (Lewis not retained), Dallas (filled) and Minesotta (filled).

So.

maybe this guy:

All Pro
    I don't think so.

Veteran
    Sadly, no. Now, with our inclusion in the playoffs, we have this putz for at least another year.

All Pro
    Schotty doesnt take any of the jobs. He pulled himself out of consideration for the Fins job a few years back and declined a Bills interview.

The guy wants to be here and ruin our offense for the foreseeable future.

DAMN IT!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I wouldn't quite call myself a fan, but I do see some positives in Shotty. That being said, I never thought Shotty as a HC was a viable possibility either last year or this one.

It's really kind of amazing the hubris that leads people like Mangini or McDaniels to believe they're capable of being head coaches (especially McDaniels) with their thin resumes, as well as owners' willingness to give them a chance just because of some experience under football genius Bellichick, as if that can rub off. It also makes me glad to see their comeuppance.

I think Schottenheimer was actually offered a HC position or at least the consideration. He may not be the greatest OC but he does seem to be smart enough to have realized he wasn't ready for a HC gig a year ago. Maybe this year he will be, though I also don't see him willing to 'step down' to a place like Cincinnati after the comparatively lavish experience of working with the NY Jets. Woody spares no expense with the practice facilities, support staff and so forth and you do get spoiled with that sort of thing. Cincinnati doesn't even have an indoor practice facility, how are you supposed to attract decent talent that way? Even LT made a comment as to the professionalism of this organization compared to what he is used to, and I wouldn't single out San Diego as a dog in that regard.