Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ILB Deal that could help set market for David Harris

All Pro

ILB Deal that could help set market for David Harris

Packers signed ILB Desmond Bishop to a four-year, $19 million extension through 2014.

Premier NFL inside 'backers typically get $6 million-a-year contracts, so this looks like absolute robbery for GM Ted Thompson. Bishop, 26 and previously slated for 2011 free agency, has been a wrecking machine and averaged nearly nine tackles per game since replacing Nick Barnett in Week 5. Bishop has also racked up three sacks, a 32-yard pick six, and two forced fumbles. The extension likely means that AJ Hawk won't be back next season.

I know very little about Desmond Bishop, but he is a similar age to Harris and apparently is having a great year.

With the amount of talk that Harris' play has slipped a bit this year, hopefully this contract can help lower his value as compared to the deal that Ryans or Patrick Willis got.

Bishop is a good player. Actually similar to Harris. A big time hitter, who plays a very violent style of football.

Not great in pass coverage however...

Harris will get more given he's going to be a FA, but the question is how much more.

Gotta give credit to that GB GM though. He's been excellent. Forget the contract, because that means nothing. Just the drafting and finding guys like Williams, Bishop, and Raji looks like a high end player. Their defensive line is loaded. If Jolly didn't get hurt, I truly don't know who would be on the bench. Between Pickett, Raji, Cullen Jenkins, Jolly, they are just loaded there. People don't really pay much attention to them, but they could absolutely win the super bowl this year. They are that loaded at a number of positions.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 01-04-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Veteran
    Harri has done it for a longer period of time and would fit in anyone's 3-4. If he's smart, he'll go to Free Agency and test it out.. and if that happens, it will be more than 6 million a year.. Not by much by more..

Banned
    Harris is easily replaceable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    Harris is easily replacable.
    As Tex was with you..

Disagree...

I'm not a Harris worshiper like some of the people here, but I remember one of the first runs where Adrian Peterson went up the middle and was met by Harris. Harris hit him so physically and violently that you could basically see Peterson check out and understand that he wasn't going to be a physical factor that game.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Gotta give credit to that GB GM though. He's been excellent.

Raji looks like a high end player.

... ... gotta agree with this ... i haven't paid a lot of attention to greenbay this year ... but have seen raji flash many times ...

l_j_r

Banned
    Disagree...

I'm not a Harris worshiper like some of the people here, but I remember one of the first runs where Adrian Peterson went up the middle and was met by Harris. Harris hit him so physically and violently that you could basically see Peterson check out and understand that he wasn't going to be a physical factor that game.

Hall Of Fame
    Bishop 6th rounder
    Jolly 6th rounder
    Jenkins undrafted

Just more reasons why keeping late rounders if you can is a good thing.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Bishop 6th rounder
    Jolly 6th rounder
    Jenkins undrafted

Just more reasons why keeping late rounders if you can is a good thing.
    We need a list like this, that hopefully included jamall westerman, undrafted.

I saw him play some on sunday and know he had a couple tackles and a fumble recovery, but did anyone see if he stood out at all?

All Pro
    Rex loves Harris. He will be resigned at all costs. Rex aint letting this guy go.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    We need a list like this, that hopefully included jamall westerman, undrafted.

I saw him play some on sunday and know he had a couple tackles and a fumble recovery, but did anyone see if he stood out at all?
    I think what westerman brings more than anything is the energy...he seemed to be all over the place but he has that youthful energy of a guy that is fighting for playing time as well as to find a spot on this or another team long term....

All League
    Team MVP voted by the players. That says a lot.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

and roger vick was a good draft pick....

All Pro
    Bishop is a good player. Actually similar to Harris. A big time hitter, who plays a very violent style of football.

Not great in pass coverage however...

Harris will get more given he's going to be a FA, but the question is how much more.
    Bishop is better in coverage though and a little quicker which would compliment Bart Scott a little better than Harris does. I would have loved to get Bishop if we wouldnt have resigned Harris as he would have been the perfect replacement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    and roger vick was a good draft pick....
    He was?

To me, he encapsulates all that is wrong with the Jets.

But if you think he was good, that's cool too,

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    I think what westerman brings more than anything is the energy...he seemed to be all over the place but he has that youthful energy of a guy that is fighting for playing time as well as to find a spot on this or another team long term....
    Hopefully energy and speed....

Ive heard a lot about teams with good young defenses/defensive players and I think a lot of it comes down to young guys have more speed.

With all the passing in the league now, you need LBs that can really run, and our LB corp is really aging. I think its time for BT to do (some nice cap relief too) and for Scott to start coming off the field on 3rd downs. Im really tired of seeing him chasing a RB or TE that has already caught a pass on him.

Would love to see westerman in a rush LB role and us find an athletic, coverage type OLB (see Mark Herzlich) next year....

Veteran
    Disagree...

That, i there is something to be said for keeping the guys you draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Bishop is better in coverage though and a little quicker which would compliment Bart Scott a little better than Harris does. I would have loved to get Bishop if we wouldnt have resigned Harris as he would have been the perfect replacement.
    Disagree on the better in coverage thing.

I watched him pretty closely in that Chicago game and that is definitely a weak aspect to his game. He doesn't have great hips, which is to be expected with any linebacker who can really hit and plays a physical brand of football.

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    That, i there is something to be said for keeping the guys you draft.
    Agree... Definitely think it's important to keep guys you draft as long as they are playing at a high level. Just hope that Harris doesn't go for every dime.