Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Colts game close to being blacked out in Indy....

All League

Jets Colts game close to being blacked out in Indy....

All League
    Is it REALLY that hard to cut & paste?

Colts Pull Out Stops As Blackout Deadline Looms

Team Tries To Sellout Playoff Game

POSTED: 1:43 pm EST January 5, 2011
    UPDATED: 2:41 pm EST January 5, 2011

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts are pulling out all the stops in an effort to ensure that Saturday's playoff showdown with the New York Jets won't be blacked out on local television.

At the beginning of the week, the Colts said that about 5,000 tickets were unsold and were available for fans to snatch up.

By Wednesday afternoon, the team said a few hundred tickets were still available, hours before an 8 p.m. deadline.

If all the tickets aren't sold out by Wednesday evening, the NFL could keep
    the game from being shown in Indianapolis.

A large banner at the top of the Colts' website Wednesday afternoon implored fans "don't miss history" and said that tickets were selling fast.

Several players, including punter Pat McAfee, wide receiver Pierre Garcon and cornerback Jacob Lacey took to Twitter and other social media, giving away tickets to followers and promising another ticket giveaway on Friday.
    Blackouts haven't been an issue in recent years for the Colts, who have enjoyed unprecedented success as one of the league's top teams each year.
    Tickets listed as still available through Ticketmaster range in price from $71 to $337 a seat.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Oh please please please let this happen.....it would give me soooo much ammunition for years to come... especially if we win.

All Pro
    It really is pathetic. They should send them back to Baltimore.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Oh please please please let this happen.....it would give me soooo much ammunition for years to come... especially if we win.
    do they regularly have issues selling out??

All Pro
    Does a city that can't sell out a playoff game deserve an NFL franchise? Especially one as successful as the Colts.

All Pro
    Wow.

This is really surprising to here after the turn out for last years AFC Championship Game. You couldn't find an empty seat in that place. Then again, about 10,000 Jets fans flew/drove in, whereas this year since it's only the Wild Card round I wouldn't think more than 2,000 go in. I know I won't be there this time. News like this though makes me want to hit up the Box Office for some good seats and get out there. Oh well.

All Pro
    I guess the Jets aren't a big draw.

All Pro
    I can't blame anyone for not going to NFL games, even playoffs.

Happy other people are happy to go.

Somewhat surprising. It tells me that the fans either expect the Colts to lose or just dont care about a wildcard game. Id say its the prices but even cheap seats were available so it cant be that. Strange.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    do they regularly have issues selling out??
    It's been a while but the fans here are VERY fairweather although they would never admit it.

It wasn't until they were winning on a regular basis that they started selling out. I think the last home blackout was around 2002 or 2003 but I'm not 100% sure.

All Pro
    A large banner at the top of the Colts' website Wednesday afternoon implored fans "don't miss history" and said that tickets were selling fast.
    They probably borrowed that from the Jets website.

You know, now that we are sold out and don't need it anymore.

All Pro
    If you go to Colts box office on TicketMaster you can pick up two row 10 aisle seats in the 400's of Lucas Oil (basically their Mezzanine compared to NMS) for a mere $250 for the total of two tickets. You can find AirTran flights, round trip, for less than $250. Man I wish I had $6-700 (when you add in hotel) to throw around.

All Pro
    It's been a while but the fans here are VERY fairweather although they would never admit it.

It wasn't until they were winning on a regular basis that they started selling out. I think the last home blackout was around 2002 or 2003 but I'm not 100% sure.
    ^ THIS. You can just tell that they're one of those fanbases that once the win well dries up, so do they.

Not true. From Jim Irsay's twitter.

Stop talking about blackout, 12th man, game's sold out N on local tv. Some returns are or will be available.
    While some tickets were returned, it won't be blacked out.

Media probably seen tickets available and ran with it without asking the Colts. Happens sometimes.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    ^ THIS. You can just tell that they're one of those fanbases that once the win well dries up, so do they.
    Just look what happened to the Pacers, that building is a freaking ghost town now.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWfan View Post

Media probably seen tickets available and ran with it without asking the Colts. Happens sometimes.
    You know how else you can tell the fan base in Indy is fairweather....the lack of trolls on this board.....except of course for this guy.

Schluberator & Gadfly

I agree. When I saw there was 5,000 to go, I knew it ain't happinin'. That's a small number for any nfl team. I think even Jax could handle that. At the least, businesses pony up (no pun intended) and give'em away.

I think IF there is Colt fan ambivolence, it's they have been spoiled with years of playoff appearances that they figure this game is a gimmie.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    You know how else you can tell the fan base in Indy is fairweather....the lack of trolls on this board.....except of course for this guy.
    I wonder where Colts_Addict is?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

How is a ticket returned exactly? I've never been able to do that when I simply decide that I don't want to attend an event. Ticketmaster isn't exactly an altruistic company.

The fact of the matter is the Colts paid the necessary amount to ensure that there won't be a blackout. It makes sense, if there are only 500-1,500 tickets remaining, I'm sure its well worth it to the Colts or their advertisers to make sure that the game is shown.