Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: I tried to listen to Michael Kay but ...

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,740

    I tried to listen to Michael Kay but ...

    He is totally unlistenable ( is that a word?). I hate Fat man so I decided to give ESPN a chance this week.

    His voice is annoying. He has that whiny, almost high pitch voice. Also, he comes across as an obnoxious, pompous, arrogant a-hole. He reminds me of that scrappy kid that you grew up with ( we all know one) that had that nasally voice and was full of himself but everyone knew was really a weasel.

    His knowledge of sports along with his accuracy ( about the past) are pathetic,

    I hat Fatcessa but he is WAY better than Kay. As soon as the playoffs are over i'm back to Bloomberg radio or music!!!!

  2. #2
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    bel air, md
    Posts
    585
    Respectfully disagree. You find Kay's voice annoying but you're okay with Francessa's? I used to enjoy listening to Francessa many years ago. But he has become so arrogant over the years as to become unlistenable. He doesn't get nearly the quality of guests that Kay does either. When was the last time Francessa had anyone from the Jets organization on? He's burned that bridge because he is such a pompous windbag. Francessa is probably more knowledgeable that Kay, but Kay doesn't try to pass himself off as an expert. I think he's a better interviewer that Francessa as well. Kinda gives the fan's perspective without coming off like an idiot like Beningo does. I think Don Lagreca is a great pairing with Kay. He makes up for Kay's lack of expertise.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by green&white View Post
    Respectfully disagree. You find Kay's voice annoying but you're okay with Francessa's? I used to enjoy listening to Francessa many years ago. But he has become so arrogant over the years as to become unlistenable. He doesn't get nearly the quality of guests that Kay does either. When was the last time Francessa had anyone from the Jets organization on? He's burned that bridge because he is such a pompous windbag. Francessa is probably more knowledgeable that Kay, but Kay doesn't try to pass himself off as an expert. I think he's a better interviewer that Francessa as well. Kinda gives the fan's perspective without coming off like an idiot like Beningo does. I think Don Lagreca is a great pairing with Kay. He makes up for Kay's lack of expertise.

    Like I said, I hate Francessa and I'm looking for an alternative for my long drive home but Kay is horrible. I do agree that Lagreca is good and obviously, the JETS guests are great..

    Maybe Kay will grow on me!!

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    936
    I used to despise Michael Kay a few years ago. I thought his opinions were uninformed and wrong. I think I disagreed with him like 90% of the time. My biggest problem with him was listening to him on the radio ripping someone on the Yankees and then seeing him on YES doing Yankee play by play and mildly stepping on the hot topic he was raging about on the radio. Yes I know that it would be unprofessional to insert opinions when you are calling a Yankee game, I just always found it fake.

    I thought his show was second rate compared to Mike & The Mad Dog.I only listened to him when Francessa and Russo were on commercial.


    However, I think Kay's show has improved a lot the past few years. I still disagree with him a lot, but at least he is open to other opinions and Lagreca really makes a great counterpoint to Kay. I think Kay is actually a pretty decent guy too.

    Meanwhile, Francessa has hit the toilet. I don't hate him like many others on the board do, but the quality of his show has gone down tremendously.

    Without Russo he really just sounds like a pompous jerk. There is nobody there to interject what he says, callers are yelled at for calling out his contradictions, and his guests aren't as impressive as Kay's have been.

    I also enjoy the long periods of dead air he has in-between thoughts.

    I like when Francessa has a guest on and he gives an opinion or "fact" and the guest would then go ahead and completely disagree with him.

    Anyway, yeah I think Kay is better now. Much better.

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    bel air, md
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by JetKoz View Post
    I used to despise Michael Kay a few years ago. I thought his opinions were uninformed and wrong. I think I disagreed with him like 90% of the time. My biggest problem with him was listening to him on the radio ripping someone on the Yankees and then seeing him on YES doing Yankee play by play and mildly stepping on the hot topic he was raging about on the radio. Yes I know that it would be unprofessional to insert opinions when you are calling a Yankee game, I just always found it fake.

    I thought his show was second rate compared to Mike & The Mad Dog.I only listened to him when Francessa and Russo were on commercial.


    However, I think Kay's show has improved a lot the past few years. I still disagree with him a lot, but at least he is open to other opinions and Lagreca really makes a great counterpoint to Kay. I think Kay is actually a pretty decent guy too.

    Meanwhile, Francessa has hit the toilet. I don't hate him like many others on the board do, but the quality of his show has gone down tremendously.

    Without Russo he really just sounds like a pompous jerk. There is nobody there to interject what he says, callers are yelled at for calling out his contradictions, and his guests aren't as impressive as Kay's have been.

    I also enjoy the long periods of dead air he has in-between thoughts.

    I like when Francessa has a guest on and he gives an opinion or "fact" and the guest would then go ahead and completely disagree with him.

    Anyway, yeah I think Kay is better now. Much better.
    Totally agree about Kay seeming like a decent guy. He actually has a personality whereas Francessa not so much.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by JetKoz View Post
    I used to despise Michael Kay a few years ago. I thought his opinions were uninformed and wrong. I think I disagreed with him like 90% of the time. My biggest problem with him was listening to him on the radio ripping someone on the Yankees and then seeing him on YES doing Yankee play by play and mildly stepping on the hot topic he was raging about on the radio. Yes I know that it would be unprofessional to insert opinions when you are calling a Yankee game, I just always found it fake.

    I thought his show was second rate compared to Mike & The Mad Dog.I only listened to him when Francessa and Russo were on commercial.


    However, I think Kay's show has improved a lot the past few years. I still disagree with him a lot, but at least he is open to other opinions and Lagreca really makes a great counterpoint to Kay. I think Kay is actually a pretty decent guy too.

    Meanwhile, Francessa has hit the toilet. I don't hate him like many others on the board do, but the quality of his show has gone down tremendously.

    Without Russo he really just sounds like a pompous jerk. There is nobody there to interject what he says, callers are yelled at for calling out his contradictions, and his guests aren't as impressive as Kay's have been.

    I also enjoy the long periods of dead air he has in-between thoughts.

    I like when Francessa has a guest on and he gives an opinion or "fact" and the guest would then go ahead and completely disagree with him.

    Anyway, yeah I think Kay is better now. Much better.
    Totally agree. I use to NEVER listen to him. Since fatman has decided to be totally unprofessional almost like a small child as it relates to this riff with Woody Johnson and the Jets. He has lost ALL of his credibility. Moreover should be relieved of his duties on the fan. I feel the same about Boomer and carton. Boomer at least is fair and objective while carton just simply spews what ever comes to mind. I listen to ESPN on the drive in and home.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    4,131
    Sirius Radio. End of thread/

  8. #8
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,319
    He's done pretty well in the female dept., getting engaged to Jodi Applegate:









    For Sar:


  9. #9
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    Sirius Radio. End of thread/

    ... winner!!! ...


    ... listening to adam schein & rich gannon interview charles woodson right now ...



    ... best money i ever spent ...







    l_j_r

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    23,372
    I actually find LaGreca more frigging annoying than either Kay or Fatso


    Having that Giant fan horses ass do the Jets pre and post game shows is like having Michael Kay do the Mets pre and post game shows

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    6,870
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... listening to adam schein
    No thanks.

  12. #12
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,319
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I actually find LaGreca more frigging annoying than either Kay or Fatso


    Having that Giant fan horses ass do the Jets pre and post game shows is like having Michael Kay do the Mets pre and post game shows
    That's why I was happy the G-men tanked.

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    No thanks.


    ... lol ... how bout pat kirwan and tim ryan on now ...










    l_j_r

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,792
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... lol ... how bout pat kirwan and tim ryan on now ...


    l_j_r
    The best!!

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,848
    I'm in the "Michael Kay has grown on me" camp. I used to hate him, but he's much more tolerable than he used to be.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,572
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    He is totally unlistenable ( is that a word?). I hate Fat man so I decided to give ESPN a chance this week.

    His voice is annoying. He has that whiny, almost high pitch voice. Also, he comes across as an obnoxious, pompous, arrogant a-hole. He reminds me of that scrappy kid that you grew up with ( we all know one) that had that nasally voice and was full of himself but everyone knew was really a weasel.

    His knowledge of sports along with his accuracy ( about the past) are pathetic,

    I hat Fatcessa but he is WAY better than Kay. As soon as the playoffs are over i'm back to Bloomberg radio or music!!!!
    totally agree im a yankee fan and i cant take him! he is such a phony..ever see his show centerstage..he is so phony it is pathetic..i tried to boycott fatso last year but came back..right now i cant listen to fatso while jets are still in playoffs listening to sirius nfl channel..

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jupiter, FL
    Posts
    2,999
    Have always been a fan, back to his Daily News days. I know about the Danny Aiello connection but I really think he is just a regular NYC guy who is 'livin' the dream'.
    I admit he was very uninformed about everything but baseball at first. Kinda uncomfortable to listen to sometimes.
    In the last year+ he has really improved his overall sports knowledge.

    One question: does Willie Randolph send him $$ monthly? Kay is about the biggest Willie fan on earth!

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11,428
    I don't understand this dislike for Joe Beningo. Yeah he's an annoying SOJ-Mentality JETS Fan but that's what people forget : HE'S A JETS FAN. And you can count on him NOT being arrogant or pompous or whatever with the fans that call into the show as well.

    Does he sometimes make you want to strangle him for the SOJ crap he says? Sure. But he is like us in that he wants this team to win so desperately...

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,348
    Kay is brutal when it's not baseball season and there are no major baseball moves happening (i.e. - now). He knows zero about the nba. I love how all of a sudden he loves Donnie Walsh and the Knicks meanwhile he was criticizing the Knicks all last season for "wasting a season" so they could get under the cap to try to get Lebron.

    Kay obviously couldn't grasp the concept of having to follow a team that has to play within the confines of an actual salary cap.


    Still prefer him over Pompous, Boring Fatboy however by a mile.

    Sirius 123 with Mad Dog Radio is good and so is 124 with the NFL.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I don't understand this dislike for Joe Beningo. Yeah he's an annoying SOJ-Mentality JETS Fan but that's what people forget : HE'S A JETS FAN. And you can count on him NOT being arrogant or pompous or whatever with the fans that call into the show as well.

    Does he sometimes make you want to strangle him for the SOJ crap he says? Sure. But he is like us in that he wants this team to win so desperately...
    + JOE & EVAN A GOOD LISTEN!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us