Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Keys to the game - Brick and Woody

  1. #1
    All League
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    4,167

    Keys to the game - Brick and Woody

    Everyone is focused on how and/or if the Jets defense will attack Manning and shut him down.....strike that....how much they can contain him.

    Obviously a very key and important factor in this game.

    What is getting less attention but what is even more important, is the match up between D'Brick and Woody vs. Freeney and Mathis.

    The success of the Colts defense is predicated on these two guys getting pressure without having to send extra bodies in on the blitz. It allows the Colts to maintain their base cover two scheme and provides protection for the Colts corners.

    The Colts corners Jacoby Lacey and Justin Tryon are backups pushed into starting roles because of injuries. Both are small, under 6 foot and under 200 pounds.

    On paper, Edwards and Holmes have a huge advantage here. Something we can definitely exploit. But we won't be able to exploit that match-up if Freeney and Mathis are breathing down Sanchez' neck every time he takes a five step drop.

    Peyton is going to put the Colts in position to score 21 points. It's just how its going to be. Can we score more than that.....absolutely. But to do so Sanchez is going to need time to get the ball to Edwards and Holmes and exploit the biggest weakness in the Colts defense. Their corners.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Everyone is focused on how and/or if the Jets defense will attack Manning and shut him down.....strike that....how much they can contain him.

    Obviously a very key and important factor in this game.

    What is getting less attention but what is even more important, is the match up between D'Brick and Woody vs. Freeney and Mathis.

    The success of the Colts defense is predicated on these two guys getting pressure without having to send extra bodies in on the blitz. It allows the Colts to maintain their base cover two scheme and provides protection for the Colts corners.

    The Colts corners Jacoby Lacey and Justin Tryon are backups pushed into starting roles because of injuries. Both are small, under 6 foot and under 200 pounds.

    On paper, Edwards and Holmes have a huge advantage here. Something we can definitely exploit. But we won't be able to exploit that match-up if Freeney and Mathis are breathing down Sanchez' neck every time he takes a five step drop.

    Peyton is going to put the Colts in position to score 21 points. It's just how its going to be. Can we score more than that.....absolutely. But to do so Sanchez is going to need time to get the ball to Edwards and Holmes and exploit the biggest weakness in the Colts defense. Their corners.

    Agreed...And if they do their job, Sanchez has to step up and win this one. I'm 100% confident that he will!!!

  3. #3
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,384
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Everyone is focused on how and/or if the Jets defense will attack Manning and shut him down.....strike that....how much they can contain him.

    Obviously a very key and important factor in this game.

    What is getting less attention but what is even more important, is the match up between D'Brick and Woody vs. Freeney and Mathis.

    The success of the Colts defense is predicated on these two guys getting pressure without having to send extra bodies in on the blitz. It allows the Colts to maintain their base cover two scheme and provides protection for the Colts corners.

    The Colts corners Jacoby Lacey and Justin Tryon are backups pushed into starting roles because of injuries. Both are small, under 6 foot and under 200 pounds.

    On paper, Edwards and Holmes have a huge advantage here. Something we can definitely exploit. But we won't be able to exploit that match-up if Freeney and Mathis are breathing down Sanchez' neck every time he takes a five step drop.

    Peyton is going to put the Colts in position to score 21 points. It's just how its going to be. Can we score more than that.....absolutely. But to do so Sanchez is going to need time to get the ball to Edwards and Holmes and exploit the biggest weakness in the Colts defense. Their corners.
    I couldn't remember who would start instead of Hayden - its Tryon, thanks.

    You probably watch them a helluva a lot more than me, but those guys don't seem terrible - but they just sit in a soft zone and let the WR catch the ball in front of them.

    To me, as long as Sanchez is cognizant of a deep LB drop (as well as Bethea), I don't see those CBs challenging them.

    If Hayden and Sessions are out this week, I look for the Jets to put up 30+.

    Bottom line, the Jets should be happy with whatever the Colts give them - because they can't take away everything. If they concentrate on the run, throw the ball. If they play nickel, pound Greene.

    The Jets can win this game a number of ways....I'm not sure the Colts can.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,321
    ... brick should do fine against freeney ... it's the mathis vs. woody matchup i'm concerned over ... hopefully the time off has helped woody get back close to 100% ...







    l_j_r

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... brick should do fine against freeney ... it's the mathis vs. woody matchup i'm concerned over ... hopefully the time off has helped woody get back close to 100% ...







    l_j_r
    Correct.... Brick isn't even a concern. He'll dominate.

    Only question is Woody, but he's done well against Mathis in the past. Hopefully that continues.

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,384
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Correct.... Brick isn't even a concern. He'll dominate.
    Only question is Woody, but he's done well against Mathis in the past. Hopefully that continues.
    I'm not sure why people say this. Brick has had a great year (especially 2nd half), but its not like the other team doesn't get paid or try. Dwight Freeney being shut down by Brick is hardly a sure thing. Am I happy with the matchup? Sure - its good to a nimble/fleet footed LT who goes 6'5 315 against a guy like Freeney. But, Freeney will be going full bore the whole game and may very well present some problems.

    In this vein, I think Revis has spoiled Jet fans, somewhat. He is as close to a literal shut down CB this league has seen in some time. He does in fact neutralize the player he is facing. But, just because he's done that in the past, doesn't guarantee anything going forward. And Brick is not as good a LT as Revis is a CB. Its good to have Brick on Freeney, but Freeney can still have a few game changing plays. And, all that needs to happen is Freeney to beat Brick 2 out of 50 times, and it could be problematic.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,382
    If Freeney, Mathis and the rest of the Colt defenders can get to Sanchez early and rattle him, we're screwed. Mark needs to start out with a solid performance otherwise chances are his confidence will go straight down the drain and our passing game will be non-existent with him rushing throws the remainder of the game. We need Mark to be protected in order for him to make his reads, but he also needs to look off his targets a little bit more than he's been doing.

    This by far is one of the biggest issues heading into Saturday. Woody vs. Mathis should be interesting with Damien coming off almost a month of inactivity.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,321
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Freeney can still have a few game changing plays.

    ... certainly true ...


    ... so can eric smith on our end ...


    ... bottom line though is there are plenty of places for us to spend energy worrying ... if you put revis/wayne as the least matchup to be concerned over ... most people would have brick/freeney down closer to the bottom than the top ... your time & energy is better served being sweating over other matchups ...






    l_j_r

  9. #9
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,384
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... certainly true ...


    ... so can eric smith on our end ...


    ... bottom line though is there are plenty of places for us to spend energy worrying ... if you put revis/wayne as the least matchup to be concerned over ... most people would have brick/freeney down closer to the bottom than the top ... your time & energy is better served being sweating over other matchups ...
    l_j_r
    I don't necessarily disagree. My biggest "concern" is stopping Manning. But, in my mind, if Sanchez has time, I like our chances. So, while I am cautiously optimistic that Brick matches up well with Freeney, when evaluating this matchup, if we win the Brick/Freeney one, the Jets passing game should be operating with impunity.

    But, I am talking more from a game evaluation standpoint, rather than a "worrying" standpoint. I don't think that any non-partisan looking at this game will say "Freeney/Brick isn't a concern at all for the Jets". Rather, they'd say, that's a great matchup between 2 excellent players. Whoever wins that one, will have a big advantage. I like our chances, but I can't say I'm not concerned (when focusing specifically on that matchup).

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,366
    It takes all 3 phases, when one or two are not dominant.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,160
    I would also like to see us run up inside of the outside pass rushes of Mathis & Freeney!
    Everyone says you can't run WIDE on the Colts, I disagree, our wideouts are excellent blockers.
    Last year, Greene was making hay on the edges b/4 he was injured.

    If we can get Greene bearing down on those backup small corners & force them into having to play physical football, we just might see one of them limp off the field.
    Edwards is strong enough to block down on Freeney, when Braylon goes into motion, meaning he moves into the slot.

    Jets Oline has been much more physical with Slausen. We don't trap block as well without Faneca, but we are much stronger at the point of attack between the tackles.

    I can guarantee you one thing...
    There is NO WAY that we will allow Freeney to come off the line untouched like we did TWICE in that AFCCG, because Sanchez is way ahead in his line protections. He had no clue last year & never motioned the TE for protection.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,160
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If Freeney, Mathis and the rest of the Colt defenders can get to Sanchez early and rattle him, we're screwed. Mark needs to start out with a solid performance otherwise chances are his confidence will go straight down the drain and our passing game will be non-existent with him rushing throws the remainder of the game. We need Mark to be protected in order for him to make his reads, but he also needs to look off his targets a little bit more than he's been doing.

    This by far is one of the biggest issues heading into Saturday. Woody vs. Mathis should be interesting with Damien coming off almost a month of inactivity.
    Is it wrong to hope that Freeney or Mathis or both tweak an ankle?

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    694
    Our RBs also need to bring thier A game.
    There will be times when Freeney and Mathis get past thier man and Mark will need the RBs to save his a**.

  14. #14
    All League
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    4,167
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Is it wrong to hope that Freeney or Mathis or both tweak an ankle?
    As wrong as it is to hope Peyton develops acute appendicitis on Saturday morning and misses the game due to surgery that is more of an inconvenience then anything real serious or life threatening!

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,084
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Bottom line, the Jets should be happy with whatever the Colts give them - because they can't take away everything. If they concentrate on the run, throw the ball. If they play nickel, pound Greene.
    This is so key....couldnt agree more.

    Unfortunately its schottys biggest problem...he sticks with what he wants to do, rather then adjust to whats going on in the game.

    Offensively, we have a gross advantage in talent over their defense. Id love to see us go 3 wrs, keller, and greene. Line up, see what they do, and go from there.

    That is a formation we can exploit as their 2nd and 3rd DBs are weaker then cotch/holmes and also a formation that we can run out of, as all it takes is one seam for greene to get into their undersized secondary and then its time for an "Eric Weddle-type SLPATTER"...

  16. #16
    When was the last time Freeney did ANYTHING against D'Brick?

    I don't want to take it for granted, but I expect D'Brick to continue his ownage.

  17. #17
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,321
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I can guarantee you one thing...
    There is NO WAY that we will allow Freeney to come off the line untouched like we did TWICE in that AFCCG, because Sanchez is way ahead in his line protections. He had no clue last year & never motioned the TE for protection.


    ... excellent post ...

    ... those were horrifying memories ... with many blaming brick initially ... meanwhile the scheme had him blocking down & left freeney untouched ...

    ... at this point with sanchez having another year and this time making the line calls instead of mangold ... there is no way they should let that happen again ...




    l_j_r

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm not sure why people say this. Brick has had a great year (especially 2nd half), but its not like the other team doesn't get paid or try. Dwight Freeney being shut down by Brick is hardly a sure thing. Am I happy with the matchup? Sure - its good to a nimble/fleet footed LT who goes 6'5 315 against a guy like Freeney. But, Freeney will be going full bore the whole game and may very well present some problems.

    In this vein, I think Revis has spoiled Jet fans, somewhat. He is as close to a literal shut down CB this league has seen in some time. He does in fact neutralize the player he is facing. But, just because he's done that in the past, doesn't guarantee anything going forward. And Brick is not as good a LT as Revis is a CB. Its good to have Brick on Freeney, but Freeney can still have a few game changing plays. And, all that needs to happen is Freeney to beat Brick 2 out of 50 times, and it could be problematic.
    +100

    I love Brick, and I think he's an upper-echelon LT, but to expect him to duplicate what he did in last year's AFCC and not let Sanchez get hit once seems a little unrealistic. I do think Brick will hold his own though.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ft lauderdale
    Posts
    1,577
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Everyone is focused on how and/or if the Jets defense will attack Manning and shut him down.....strike that....how much they can contain him.

    Obviously a very key and important factor in this game.

    What is getting less attention but what is even more important, is the match up between D'Brick and Woody vs. Freeney and Mathis.

    The success of the Colts defense is predicated on these two guys getting pressure without having to send extra bodies in on the blitz. It allows the Colts to maintain their base cover two scheme and provides protection for the Colts corners.

    The Colts corners Jacoby Lacey and Justin Tryon are backups pushed into starting roles because of injuries. Both are small, under 6 foot and under 200 pounds.

    On paper, Edwards and Holmes have a huge advantage here. Something we can definitely exploit. But we won't be able to exploit that match-up if Freeney and Mathis are breathing down Sanchez' neck every time he takes a five step drop.

    Peyton is going to put the Colts in position to score 21 points. It's just how its going to be. Can we score more than that.....absolutely. But to do so Sanchez is going to need time to get the ball to Edwards and Holmes and exploit the biggest weakness in the Colts defense. Their corners.
    The bears also ran a covet 2 defense, and sanchez had much success against it

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,160
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    This is so key....couldnt agree more.

    Unfortunately its schottys biggest problem...he sticks with what he wants to do, rather then adjust to whats going on in the game.

    Offensively, we have a gross advantage in talent over their defense. Id love to see us go 3 wrs, keller, and greene. Line up, see what they do, and go from there.

    That is a formation we can exploit as their 2nd and 3rd DBs are weaker then cotch/holmes and also a formation that we can run out of, as all it takes is one seam for greene to get into their undersized secondary and then its time for an "Eric Weddle-type SLPATTER"...
    Though I'm a Shotty hater, the Colts play the same 2 deep Tampa zone that the Bears play. So, Shotty has some great tape from both games last year & the Chicago game to put a game plan together that uses the most successful plays from those games.
    Tempo will be huge, plus I really see Greene putting a HURTING on the Colts secondary if we can get him through that initial line of defense.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us