Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patriot's play off inexperience

All League

Patriot's play off inexperience

I'm on my phone, so I can't look it up (i could, but I'm not going to). What's the patriot's roster like re; playoff experience? Gronk, mcourtney, woodhead...

Some Of their big names have never been here before, right?

Didn't they say that about us last year?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Personally I don't take a lot of stock in it, except for maybe the kicker. I think BB will have them in the right frame of mind, plus they're at home.

All Pro
    I think on the defensive side of the ball they don't have all that much experience. Other than Wilfork, nobody is really left over from the dynasty years. Obviously a lot of the guys played in that Ravens debacle last year, but in terms of success there aren't many -- they're a young defense.

Offensively, they're fine. Brady, the o-line, Welker, have all been there. Gronk and Hernandez are rookies, but receivers lacking experience isn't the issue -- your QB and line are the top things you worry about IMO.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Personally I don't take a lot of stock in it, except for maybe the kicker. I think BB will have them in the right frame of mind, plus they're at home.
    That's one thing I think even Pats fans will admit -- that if the game is close, they're going to be terrified if Shayne Graham lines up for a big kick. Between Vinitieri and Gostkowski, they've always had money kickers, but as Jets fans remember from last years Bengals game, Graham is not money.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    That's one thing I think even Pats fans will admit -- that if the game is close, they're going to be terrified if Shayne Graham lines up for a big kick. Between Vinitieri and Gostkowski, they've always had money kickers, but as Jets fans remember from last years Bengals game, Graham is not money.
    If the game comes down to either kicker I would sign up for that right now.

Hall Of Fame
    The Patriots really REALLY wet the bed last year in the playoffs. I am not sure that there would be a carry over to this year with Brady and the professor up there but if we can hold the game close early maybe a scintilla of doubt starts to creep in with the younger players.

I am convinced that we need to have Bart Scott and Calvin Pace play a bigger role that they have been doing recently. Those two have been pretty invisible of late.

Undrafted Free Agent
    If the game comes down to kickers, no one has the edge. As to playoff experience, or lack thereof, edge goes to Jets not because of the relative number of games played post season, but because of their experiences in the Browns, Lions, Texans and Broncos games. In all cases they had to come from behind and live fearlessly.

I don't think many Pats fans are aware of these situational experience builders. My friends can harp on Sanchez's aim, but you can't take away the games he helped pull out of his ar$e.

The Pats team is two-thirds turned over from meaningful playoff experience last gained in 2007. The Pats team of 2009 seemed neither inclined nor prepared to win and had a lot of cranky vets who'd already checked out.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    If the game comes down to either kicker I would sign up for that right now.
    Yeah, I would too.

All League
    They have Brady. I'd take his experience with 52 inexperienced guys over 53 experienced Jets players.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    They have Brady. I'd take his experience with 52 inexperienced guys over 53 experienced Jets players.
    In the ultimate team sport, that would not be wise.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Other than Wilfork, nobody is really left over from the dynasty years.
    So you admit they were a dynasty?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    It's what they drove.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Clearly. I dispute what some of my Pats fan friends claim (that the dynasty is still ongoing) but 3 in 4 years is a dynasty by any standard.

If the Steelers win this year, I'd call them a borderline dynasty -- 3 in 6 is pretty nasty.

All League
    In the ultimate team sport, that would not be wise.
    It's the ultimate one-man's sport (the QB) masquerading as the ultimate team sport. Brady makes JAGs look like stars with years of experience.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    It's the ultimate one-man's sport (the QB) masquerading as the ultimate team sport. Brady makes JAGs look like stars with years of experience.
    You can't be serious. And how does Brady get time to throw?!? How do the receivers get open? Who does Brady hand the ball off to?

Oh please. So you believe if we put Brady on Carolina, they'd be in the playoffs. THAT'S CRAZY TALK!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    If the game comes down to kickers, no one has the edge. As to playoff experience, or lack thereof, edge goes to Jets not because of the relative number of games played post season, but because of their experiences in the Browns, Lions, Texans and Broncos games. In all cases they had to come from behind and live fearlessly.

I don't think many Pats fans are aware of these situational experience builders. My friends can harp on Sanchez's aim, but you can't take away the games he helped pull out of his ar$e.

The Pats team is two-thirds turned over from meaningful playoff experience last gained in 2007. The Pats team of 2009 seemed neither inclined nor prepared to win and had a lot of cranky vets who'd already checked out.
    If the game is close I'd say the edge goes to the Jets, merely for hanging around. Lets be honest, everyone (at least in Chowd land) thinks this will be a blowout. The longer the Jets stay with the Pats, the more confidence it gives them.

As far as kickers go, no fan should have any faith in any kicker in the playoffs not named Vinatieri. We've seen how otherwise dependable kickers during the regular season (Kaeding) fall apart in the playoffs.

Rookie
    Their inexperience in certain areas on that roster is definitely somthing that could go in our favor. Primarily on defense and special teams in the terms of ball handling and kicking coverage situations.

GO JETS!!!

All League
    You can't be serious. And how does Brady get time to throw?!? How do the receivers get open? Who does Brady hand the ball off to?

Oh please. So you believe if we put Brady on Carolina, they'd be in the playoffs. THAT'S CRAZY TALK!
    They'd be a hell of a lot better than they are. Also, the Jets would be Super Bowl favorites with Brady. Their offense would be putting up record numbers. The 2007 Patriots offense would look like the JV team compared to the 2010-2011 Jets offense with Brady.

Veteran
    As a Pats fan I am concerned about the lack of experience on the team. Here's a run down (of starters and guys who will see the field):

Guys with more than 1 play-off game in their careers:

Brady
    Light
    Mankins
    Koppen
    Branch
    Welker
    Crumpler (with Atlanta and Tennesse?)
    Wilfork
    G. Warren (with Cleveland, Oakland, and etc..??? Unsure)
    Merriweather
    Sanders (not a starter, but valuable back up).

Guys with 1 play off game in their careers:
    Vollmer
    Mayo
    Banta-Cain (not a starter)
    Butler
    Wilhite
    Graham (guessing he never saw more than 1 game in Cincinnati)

Guys who never played in a play-off game:

Woodhead
    Green-Ellis
    Tate
    Connolly
    Spikes
    Cunningham
    Ninkovich
    Chung
    McCourty
    Arrington
    Mesko
    Katula (LS)

Veteran
    I am pretty sure Banta-Cain played on their 2004 SB team, and I think the 2005 and 2006 teams also that went deep in the playoffs. I think he was gone for 2007, and back in 2009. I may have the timing off a little, but he definitely played in more than 1 playoff game.