Thread: Buffoon or Brilliant

Buffoon or Brilliant

During the past week of trash talk, the insecure JETS fan in me was thinking Rex Ryan is either a buffoon or playing the media and Pats right into his hands. I am starting to believe more and more the latter. Maybe he loves the spotlight, and happens to be an entertaining speaker but he sure takes any media pressure off his players and totally onto him. Any stories from the media during the week about ANY of the numerous off field stories this past season? Sanchez shoulder? Sanchez inexperience? Cromarties kids? Holmes' BONG? Braylon's DUI? Woody's injury at RT and starting a player with limited experience? Trip-gate? Ryan really puts himself out there and got his players to believe rather than "be happy to be there" and allow the Pats to intimidate them after a demoralizing loss of 45-3. Brilliant...............

BTW, there will be no poll to follow, it would be a landslide of "brilliant".....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Right now he's brilliant.

The only buffoons are the ones who believe that the Jets "overachieved" or "shouldn't be where they are". I've been hearing it all day. "Rex is a bad coach", "the Jets are lucky".

Keep trying to fool yourself. As Bill Cosby once said

"Only a genius, can fake such stupidity."

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Rex Ryan is either a buffoon or playing the media and Pats right into his hands. I am starting to believe more and more the latter. Maybe he loves the spotlight, and happens to be an entertaining speaker but he sure takes any media pressure off his players and totally onto him.
    Rex Ryan is the master of this game. He played the media like a violin all last week. He threw them a little red meat now and again, and they responded, all the while begging for more. They are the buffoons if you ask me, letting themselves be played like that.

And to anyone who says Rex is arrogant and egotistical? Listen more carefully to his words. In terms of himself, he is self-deprecating, constantly saying what a better coach Bellichick is for example, and constantly heaping praise on players, his own and those on other teams. eg what he said about Reggie Wayne and Darelle Revis. If anything he goes overboard in praise. He said if the team lost it would be his fault. They won, and what does he say today? The team executed. Talk about being accountable. No wonder the players love him - takes all the blame and gives all the credit to others.

Veteran
    he meant for the 'foot' videos to come out. he simply doesn't care what people think. ..

before the Pats game, all I heard was the Steelers are coming to Gillette. ..bring on the Steelers, etc before the game even kicked off. ...

now. ..all my Steeler fans are online looking Super Bowl deals to Dallas. ..

no respect.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Right now he's brilliant.

The only buffoons are the ones who believe that the Jets "overachieved" or "shouldn't be where they are". I've been hearing it all day. "Rex is a bad coach", "the Jets are lucky".

Keep trying to fool yourself. As Bill Cosby once said

"Only a genius, can fake such stupidity."
    Great quote from Cosby, John. I will be using it for all the buffoons I encounter this week as well.

Ryan is proving that he is a NYer that is strong enough to not only survive, but handle th media flawlessly............

Veteran
    perception. Rex is perceived as a jack ass. You can't help but let your guard down but hiding in plain sight is the best place to hide.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyTestaverde'sNiece View Post
    Rex Ryan is the master of this game. He played the media like a violin all last week. He threw them a little red meat now and again, and they responded, all the while begging for more. They are the buffoons if you ask me, letting themselves be played like that.

And to anyone who says Rex is arrogant and egotistical? Listen more carefully to his words. In terms of himself, he is self-deprecating, constantly saying what a better coach Bellichick is for example, and constantly heaping praise on players, his own and those on other teams. eg what he said about Reggie Wayne and Darelle Revis. If anything he goes overboard in praise. He said if the team lost it would be his fault. They won, and what does he say today? The team executed. Talk about being accountable. No wonder the players love him - takes all the blame and gives all the credit to others.
    Nice post. No one has ever described Ryan better!

Most think he is off the cuff when in reality his "buffoonery" is very calculated. It also serves well to disguise his genius.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Nice post. No one has ever described Ryan better!

Most think he is off the cuff when in reality his "buffoonery" is very calculated. It also serves well to disguise his genius.
    Exactly. He is completely unequivocal. It is so refreshing. Whatever the opposite of full of sh1t is, is what he is.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyTestaverde'sNiece View Post
    Exactly. He is completely unequivocal. It is so refreshing. Whatever the opposite of full of sh1t is, is what he is.
    +1 The man is a genius.

And to think, there were Jets fans on here saying that this team will never win a Super Bowl with Rex........

yet some people don't know how to deal with it ... just shows how sugar coated and sissy filled this nation is. That PA governor had it right. Rex is the type of guy where there's no middle ground. You're either going to absolutely love him or hate him ..... appreciate him or be disgusted. Thats the bottom line with Rex... but no matter what you think about him he truly will never care lol. People who criticize Rex don't know that its like boxing waves in the ocean. there's no point .... all that stuff will bounce off of his fat stomach like a slinky. Rex rules

Im not sure if it was brilliant. To be brilliant means it had to have been planned and I dont think, for the most part, that it was. I think all the trash talk was just Rex being Rex. He started the shots the week before at Brady simply because he doesnt care for him or anyone on that team.

I think what was brilliant was what he did after the game in the locker room. If you go and see when he starts talking about the return to the AFC Championship and how its one more to go, etc...He points to Holmes and basically says "but this year we have Santonio". To me thats planned and brilliant. Hes been in a bit of a funk of late before that spectacular TD grab and Rex made it known that hes super important. Get that guy pumped up for a game against his former team. Its a very small thing, but I think that is brilliant.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    Im not sure if it was brilliant. To be brilliant means it had to have been planned and I dont think, for the most part, that it was. I think all the trash talk was just Rex being Rex. He started the shots the week before at Brady simply because he doesnt care for him or anyone on that team.

I think what was brilliant was what he did after the game in the locker room. If you go and see when he starts talking about the return to the AFC Championship and how its one more to go, etc...He points to Holmes and basically says "but this year we have Santonio". To me thats planned and brilliant. Hes been in a bit of a funk of late before that spectacular TD grab and Rex made it known that hes super important. Get that guy pumped up for a game against his former team. Its a very small thing, but I think that is brilliant.
    You're right about the Santonio comment!