Thread: My new favorite journalist

All Pro

My new favorite journalist

Kevin Hench - never heard of him but he wrote a masterful piece for Fox Sports where he takes the Pats out to the woodshed (no...not woodhead) and lets them have it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/b...rk-jets-011611

Some favorite excerpts:

After a week of announcing outright that Sundayís playoff game in Foxboro was a showdown between him and Belichick, Ryan took Belichick to the woodshed for a resounding whupping.

But thatís the arrogance of Bill Belichick. He believes he can play the first possession of a playoff game with one weapon tethered to the sideline to emphasize adherence to The Belichick Way.

The results: Sanchez finished with a 127.3 passer rating and a clean jersey. Never sacked and rarely pressured, Sanchez strafed the Patriots for three touchdowns. (Tom Brady has been sacked nine times in the playoffs since the Patriots' last playoff sack.)

So to sum up: In his past three playoff games, Bill Belichick has been favored by a total of 24-1/2 points and gone 0-3 while being outscored 78-49.
    Thre's quite a bit more and it's all wonderful.
    Last edited by nycdan; 01-17-2011 at 09:18 PM.

All Pro
    Wow, the fall from grace is swift, unforgiving, and painful.

All League
    I don't necessarily agree with the ill-advised challenge portion. It was a very close play, which his players were screaming at being an incomplete pass. Not an awful decision that never really hurt the Patriots...

I don't think the fake punt was the best decision, but that is just one of those "incredible play call" if it works and a "horrible play call" if it doesn't. Should he have just accepted being down 7-3 to end the half... probably, but it wasn't an aggregious move. Everyone loved Sean Payton's onside kick call last year. Because it worked. They would have been asking for his resignation if the Saints lost because of it (okay, they wouldn't have been, but you get the point).

What I do completely agree with though, is the Welker bit. It was an absolute mistake by an arrogant coach. Few have talked much about it, but it could have potentially stopped a touchdown for the Patriots in the first drive. How much would a touchdown on the opening possession for the Patriots have demoralized this team? Who knows, but it was a dumb decision. Sit a guy for getting a DUI... not for talking.

Kevin Hench is one of Bill Simmons's best friends. He is from NH and is a Boston sports fan. These are the musings of a disgruntled Pats fan who is jumping off the bandwagon.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with the ill-advised challenge portion. It was a very close play, which his players were screaming at being an incomplete pass. Not an awful decision that never really hurt the Patriots...

I don't think the fake punt was the best decision, but that is just one of those "incredible play call" if it works and a "horrible play call" if it doesn't. Should he have just accepted being down 7-3 to end the half... probably, but it wasn't an aggregious move. Everyone loved Sean Payton's onside kick call last year. Because it worked. They would have been asking for his resignation if the Saints lost because of it (okay, they wouldn't have been, but you get the point).

What I do completely agree with though, is the Welker bit. It was an absolute mistake by an arrogant coach. Few have talked much about it, but it could have potentially stopped a touchdown for the Patriots in the first drive. How much would a touchdown on the opening possession for the Patriots have demoralized this team? Who knows, but it was a dumb decision. Sit a guy for getting a DUI... not for talking.
    Yeah...taking a flyer on a first-half challenge isn't usually a big deal, although you only get two so you really want to make sure it will help a LOT. That one didn't have enough reward probably to justify the risk but in the end, it made no difference.

The fake punt was scary in that even after the fumble, it looked like the Pats might convert it. Maybe that's the last vestige of the SOJ fan in me, but until I saw the play whistled dead, I was nervous. Still...really dumb call given the field position and yardage needed. The Jets got flogged for missing a 4th and 9 try by inches a few weeks back. That was almost twice the distance.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Kevin Hench is one of Bill Simmons's best friends. He is from NH and is a Boston sports fan. These are the musings of a disgruntled Pats fan who is jumping off the bandwagon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMZlr5Gf9yY

The fun starts at 1:30

All Pro
    Is this Beckham's ho?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Yeah...taking a flyer on a first-half challenge isn't usually a big deal, although you only get two so you really want to make sure it will help a LOT. That one didn't have enough reward probably to justify the risk but in the end, it made no difference.

The only play I really think it might have affected was the close play in the 2nd half... I can't even remember what the play was, I just remember there being a real close play. Maybe Belichick would have challenged that call (and he would have lost that challenge). I don't know if he would have challenged the play anyways, because a loss of the challenge would have meant losing a crucial timeout, but it might have made it easier for him to challenge knowing he had a second challenge in his pocket if necessary. So in effect, that challenge in the first half might have saved a 2nd half timeout... Nobody but Bill really knows, but definitely agree that it didn't end up mattering.