Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fireman Ed almost lost helmet at Foxboro

All League

Fireman Ed almost lost helmet at Foxboro

Fireman Ed almost lost helmet at Foxboro
    Originally published: January 18, 2011 5:28 PM
    Updated: January 18, 2011 9:59 PM
    By JIM BAUMBACH jim.baumbach@newsday.com

Fireman Ed scuffles with someone at the game. (Jan. 16, 2011)

All the trash talk between the Jets and Patriots last week took a bizarre turn into the stands Sunday. The man best known in the football world as Fireman Ed said Tuesday that New England fans placed "a bounty" on his Jets helmet as he tried to leave Gillette Stadium.

The ubiquitous Jets fan, a retired New York City firefighter whose real name is Ed Anzalone, stressed he didn't want to make a big deal out of the incident during a telephone interview with Newsday, though he did say that "getting out of there was no small task."

After the underdog Jets beat the Patriots, 28-21, to advance to the AFC Championship Game, Anzalone said fans targeted his trademark headgear. "One guy grabbed my helmet and threw it on the field," he said. "He went to take it and run away with it but Jets fans tackled him."

Aside from praising the stadium's security detail, Anzalone declined further comment regarding the postgame incident, saying that for the most part, the back-and-forth between fans was no different from what happens in every football stadium.

Besides, Anzalone is far too happy with the state of his team to spend much time talking about the past, not when the possibility of a Super Bowl berth is one game away.

Anzalone will be in Pittsburgh on Sunday, saying he was so confident that the Jets would be there that he bought his tickets on the Internet the night before the Patriots game.

A mainstay at Jets games for three decades, Anzalone stayed home from last year's AFC title game in Indianapolis, a decision he made out of superstition.

He was at the Jets' previous two AFC title games - in Miami in 1983 and in Denver in 1999 - and both were losses. So he wanted to try something different.

"I'm not really a superstitious guy, but last year, I bought into the whole superstitious deal," he said. "The same people had to be here, the same clothes, the same everything. But once we lost in Indianapolis, I threw that out the window because it didn't work."

This year, he was in Indianapolis and New England for the playoff games, will be in Pittsburgh and you'll see him at the Super Bowl in Arlington, Texas, if the Jets are there.

And, yes, he says he pays for his tickets.

"Everyone thinks I get my season tickets for free and everything but that's not the case," he said. "I pay for them. I'm a regular fan."

(Though admittedly not many fans are selling apps for Smart phones of themselves online doing the Jets chant, with some proceeds going to the Boomer Esiason Foundation and Autism Speaks.)

Anzalone said his third-row seats on the 50-yard line for Sunday's game cost about $700 a seat on StubHub.

He said he likes to be close to the Jets' bench, where he can yell encouragement.

"I'm not a trash talker like Rex [Ryan], but Rex backs it up and I'm with him, no matter what," Anzalone said. "I love him. I go where he goes. I'm with him. I'm one of his soldiers."
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...boro-1.2619526

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Thank god.

How would he fight all those fires he fights without his helmet?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Thank god.

It was you, wasn't it? Good thing that the forces of evil were dispersed and the good fireman got his helmet back. Otherwise, it would be the Foxboro version of Bernie Parents mask.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Unleash the Ed haters...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGERMIKE View Post
    Unleash the Ed haters...

You stole the words right out of my typing fingers...

All League
    Thank god.

"Retired"....like your team... :-)

Practice Squad
    Gorilla Glue, Ed. Gorilla Glue...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It's like we tell the probies from day one: WEAR YOUR CHIN STRAP.

Banned
    It really bothers me how he gets all these free tickets.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    If he were in Philly, you wouldn't have found fireman Ed.

All League
    The other day I was listening to 98.5 Sports Hub in Boston and it was either Scott Zolak or his co-host Andy Gresh that was saying he had texts or callers claiming that Fireman Ed got sucker punched after the game at Gillette. When I was listening he said "We need more to confirm this, but that would of been great if this is true" something to that extent, however I was busy at the time and stopped listening so dont know if there were more fans confirming this.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    Is it really that, or is it that he farts at the games? Be honest.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    The other day I was listening to 98.5 Sports Hub in Boston and it was either Scott Zolak or his co-host Andy Gresh that was saying he had texts or callers claiming that Fireman Ed got sucker punched after the game at Gillette. When I was listening he said "We need more to confirm this, but that would of been great if this is true" something to that extent, however I was busy at the time and stopped listening so dont know if there were more fans confirming this.
    So we have FF2 condoning theft, and Zolak/Gresh condoning assault.

And Jets fans are the classless ones.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    Heard it also and started a thread. It was never confirmed and not sure how they could have anyway

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    So we have FF2 condoning theft
    LINK?

All League

SAR I
    I personaly wouldn't mind if he did get free tickets and if he had someone watching his back at these games. I like seeing him at these games and love him or hate him, he's a symbol for our team. A better symbol than this guy...

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Thank god.

Well, he wears it now to not hurt his head when his brother carries him around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Is it really that, or is it that he farts at the games? Be honest.
    Yes, part of me doesn't like the fact that he's a blue collar worker. I'll decide who represents me as a Jets fan, thankyouverymuch. Don't need some fairweather self-promoter with a junior high school education 'leading' the Jets fanbase.

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    I personaly wouldn't mind if he did get free tickets and if he had someone watching his back at these games. I like seeing him at these games and love him or hate him, he's a symbol for our team. A better symbol than this guy...

If we wanted a mascot, we'd go get a stuffed animal like everyone else. Don't need some 55 year old unemployed blue collar worker with anger management issues whose hocking an iPhone app as the 'voice' of the fans.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

If we wanted a mascot, we'd go get a stuffed animal like everyone else. Don't need some 55 year old unemployed blue collar worker with anger management issues whose hocking an iPhone app as the 'voice' of the fans.

SAR I
    I like the Giraffe.