Thread: Game review: 11 missed tackles

Veteran

Game review: 11 missed tackles

aka let me beat a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cimini
    After a thorough breakdown of the game tape by ESPNNewYork.com, it was determined that the New York Jets missed 11 tackles in the AFC Championship Game -- all in the first half. Those missed tackles allowed the Pittsburgh Steelers to gain 105 yards after initial contact, nearly half of their first-half output (231 total yards).

No team should miss 11 tackles in a game, let alone a half -- let alone in a title game. Why? Everybody's favorite reason was the lack of intensity; several players acknowledged the team came out flat. The Steelers also hammered the Jets with a three-tight end package, using two tight ends in the backfield with RB Rashard Mendenhall.

In the second quarter, the Steelers changed it up, gashing the Jets for two big runs in nickel personnel -- a 35-yard run by Mendenhall (David Harris missed him after two yards) and a 13-yard run by Isaac Redman (misses by Sione Pouha and Eric Smith).

Bart (Can't Wait) Scott played one of his worst games as a Jet. Not only did he miss four tackles, but he took a false step on Ben Roethlisberger's next-to-last completion -- the 14-yarder to Heath Miller. Scott came free on a blitz, but bit inside on the play fake, allowing Roethlisberger to break outside to his right. It bought Big Ben an extra second to complete the throw.

Here's an unofficial breakdown of the players that missed tackles and the amount of extra yards that resulted:

LB Bart Scott -- 4 for 22 yards (including Mendenhall's 1-yard TD run)
    NT Sione Pouha -- 3 for 20 yards
    LB David Harris -- 1 for 33 yards
    S Brodney Pool -- 1 for 17 yards (on a pass play)
    DT Trevor Pryce -- 1 for 6 yards.
    S Eric Smith -- 1 for 7 yards

Totals: 11 for 105 yards
    Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...missed-tackles

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by AbstraKt View Post

I watched 1.5 qtrs this morning and noticed that Pouha had several missed tackles.

I remember yelling at the TV on more than one occasions about Mendenhall "THIS GUY'S NOT THAT GOOD!!!"

All League

Major screw up...they were attempting to reach and grab...they we going to their knees to try and make a tackle...the ball carrier would get past the man and Our Defensive players would pull up as if "gee he got past me...hope someone gets him...kick you lazy butt in gear and run him down...almost looked like they did not expect to win...came out in the 2nd half and turned it around...but too late...then on that last 3nd and 3 they gave a lousy effort and Pit got an easy FD...I was proud of the fact that they came back hard...but not of their total game effort...can only hope they learned...42 years now turns into 43 and I hate it...should have gone to the SB this year...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by shodan9999 View Post
    Major screw up...they were attempting to reach and grab...they we going to their knees to try and make a tackle...the ball carrier would get past the man and Our Defensive players would pull up as if "gee he got past me...hope someone gets him...kick you lazy butt in gear and run him down...almost looked like they did not expect to win...came out in the 2nd half and turned it around...but too late...then on that last 3nd and 3 they gave a lousy effort and Pit got an easy FD...I was proud of the fact that they came back hard...but not of their total game effort...can only hope they learned...42 years now turns into 43 and I hate it...should have gone to the SB this year...
    I agree on all counts. I feel the future is ours and we will get a few SBs. Rex and Sanchez will be a great combo for many years.
    I hope we get a very tough TE to come to the Jets. I am sick of Killer-Keller and his dropped passes and lack of good blocking ability . he YAC sucks too. he goes down rather easily.

All League
    Are you sure this number is accurate? I could have sworn they missed like 11 tackles on each and every Mendenhall run in the 1st half...

All League
    it's so upsetting. 105 extra yards after contact in the first half? it almost would have been better if their o-line was just blowing up our d-line, but we were in position, but they wanted it more.

i heard sanchez on 1050 today talk about how everyone is saying the jets were flat and not focused. he basically said that is so hard to match the intensity of the home team, especially in the playoffs. and the jets have had 5 out of their last 6 games on the road. it caught up to them. beating indy and the pasts on the road took so much out of them. that is why it so important for the jets to win the division and get at least 1 home game, possibly the 1 or 2 seed.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Not to make any excuses, but I'd like to see how they calculate this.

They considered Scott as having "missed" the tackle on Mendhall's 1 yd TD run but the fact of the matter is that he made the tackle and Mendenhall just barely stretched the ball over the goal line. Personally I don't really consider that a missed tackle.

There were alot worse missed tackles out there.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Not to make any excuses, but I'd like to see how they calculate this.

They considered Scott as having "missed" the tackle on Mendhall's 1 yd TD run but the fact of the matter is that he made the tackle and Mendenhall just barely stretched the ball over the goal line. Personally I don't really consider that a missed tackle.

There were alot worse missed tackles out there.
    Agreed, 100%... I thought there were worse culprits than Bart, and that TD wasn't his fault. Nobody got here to make the next hit.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Rich Cimini
    After a thorough breakdown of the game tape by ESPNNewYork.com, it was determined that the New York Jets missed 11 tackles in the AFC Championship Game -- all in the first half. Those missed tackles allowed the Pittsburgh Steelers to gain 105 yards after initial contact, nearly half of their first-half output (231 total yards).

No team should miss 11 tackles in a game, let alone a half -- let alone in a title game. Why? Everybody's favorite reason was the lack of intensity; several players acknowledged the team came out flat. The Steelers also hammered the Jets with a three-tight end package, using two tight ends in the backfield with RB Rashard Mendenhall.

In the second quarter, the Steelers changed it up, gashing the Jets for two big runs in nickel personnel -- a 35-yard run by Mendenhall (David Harris missed him after two yards) and a 13-yard run by Isaac Redman (misses by Sione Pouha and Eric Smith).

Bart (Can't Wait) Scott played one of his worst games as a Jet. Not only did he miss four tackles, but he took a false step on Ben Roethlisberger's next-to-last completion -- the 14-yarder to Heath Miller. Scott came free on a blitz, but bit inside on the play fake, allowing Roethlisberger to break outside to his right. It bought Big Ben an extra second to complete the throw.

Here's an unofficial breakdown of the players that missed tackles and the amount of extra yards that resulted:

LB Bart Scott -- 4 for 22 yards (including Mendenhall's 1-yard TD run)
    NT Sione Pouha -- 3 for 20 yards
    LB David Harris -- 1 for 33 yards
    S Brodney Pool -- 1 for 17 yards (on a pass play)
    DT Trevor Pryce -- 1 for 6 yards.
    S Eric Smith -- 1 for 7 yards

Totals: 11 for 105 yards

Add to that the stops that were boned by the hands-to-the-face flag (Cro), roughing the kicker (Westerman), and the two dropped INTs (Pool's pick should've been Ben's 4th), and you have the recipe for a long night.
    Last edited by innerjet; 01-25-2011 at 10:56 PM.