Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to be in cap hxll?

Undrafted Free Agent

Are we going to be in cap hxll?

The Jets have 117 million dollars allocated to the players on their roster right now,this includes none of the 17 free-agents. By cutting LT,Bryan Thomas,Jenkins,and Woody you can get that number down around 102 million.If 4 million has to be set aside for rookies and If the cap is around 132 million we are filling the shoes both our starting right tackle and his replacement,kicker,punter,starting running back,3 out of our 4 wide receivers,at least 3 linebackers and a starting corner back,plus a lot of our depth.
    How do we do it for 28 million?Holmes wants around 7-8 million,Cro is going to have to feed all of those kids,I doubt he could come cheap.

Veteran
    Tanny will figure it out.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dash with a past View Post
    The Jets have 117 million dollars allocated to the players on their roster right now,this includes none of the 17 free-agents. By cutting LT,Bryan Thomas,Jenkins,and Woody you can get that number down around 102 million.If 4 million has to be set aside for rookies and If the cap is around 132 million we are filling the shoes both our starting right tackle and his replacement,kicker,punter,starting running back,3 out of our 4 wide receivers,at least 3 linebackers and a starting corner back,plus a lot of our depth.
    How do we do it for 28 million?Holmes wants around 7-8 million,Cro is going to have to feed all of those kids,I doubt he could come cheap.
    There is no cap right now. Why worry about it?

Better yet, why would you think that anyone would be able to help you and answer this question?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    There is no cap right now. Why worry about it?

Better yet, why would you think that anyone would be able to help you and answer this question?
    Well if there is going to be a season next year..there will be a cap..so he brings up a valid point.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Well if there is going to be a season next year..there will be a cap..so he brings up a valid point.
    There will be a season, but no one here knows what the cap will be or if there will be a cap. Probably will be a cap, but who knows what it will be?

No one.

So no one can answer the question, other than to take a guess.

So right now there is no point to asking.

All Pro
    We are really going to need our young guys to step up, especially Westerman, Kyle Wilson, and McKnight (if we cut LT).

There is also $1.6 million in savings cutting hartstock who can be replaced by Matt Mulligan as the blocking Te.

BT will have to go as there is no dead money cutting him, we save over $3million and most importantly he is slow as crap.

Depending on how he graded out (especially with telegraphing the awful pass on the goaline), wayne hunter could be a good guy to replace woody at around $1.5 a year. Then ducasse can have another year to get up to speed as I jsut dont see how he can be ready for RT next year. Turner needs to be kept as G/C insurance and we will need to draft an Olineman late in the draft.

That still does not leave enough money for all 4 of harris, cro, braylon and holmes.

I read today that the Jets prefer santonio over holmes as he "commands more defensive attention" but we wont know who they want for quite some time.

I dont see how Cro is a wise investment at anywhere over $4 million. He just doesnt do enough for that kind of money.

Harris is also so tough to get a feeling on. He is a very very good player, but the key word is good, not great. At $3-4 million he would be great for us, but when you start paying ILBs $8+ million, they better be Ray Lewis.

If a guy like Westerman is really ready to step into the position, or a guy like DQuell Jackson is healthy and cheaper, that would not be a terrible move. That being said, Harris knows our defense, is very good vs the run, calls the defensive signals and Rex loves him....gonna be a tough call.

All League
    it really depends on how things work out. if rfa stays as is, the jets might be able to tender cromartie and holmes, extend harris, and get braylon in. if tannenbaum can find creative ways to arrange the money to push the pain with the cap a few years, it might be enough time to get guys re-signed and figure it out in a few years. the jets have a great team. keeping them together must be priority number 1. if the cap number for 2011 for each major free agent can be kept low with creative ideas mr t is famous for, the roster can be kept intact for the most part. i know it'll be tough, but i'm trying to be positive.

Banned
    There will be a season, but no one here knows what the cap will be or if there will be a cap. Probably will be a cap, but who knows what it will be?

No one.

And since no one, I repeat no one, knows if there will even be any football next year, this site should just shut down.....or maybe you should quit talking

Undrafted Free Agent
    Teams were warned not to go nuts as there will be a cap in the future. To put your head in the sand and say don't worry is lame.

Hall Of Fame

No one.

Yes there is a point in asking.

There is a comet that is going to hit the earth, it's coming, we know it but we may as well not think about it until it's the size of the moon on the horizon.

The Jets have a lot of money allocated, the Jets have a lot of FA's. Something has got to give when the season does start and you can bet the cap will mean that some players we would rather keep we will have to shed and some FA's we would like we won't be able to afford.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    We are really going to need our young guys to step up, especially Westerman, Kyle Wilson, and McKnight (if we cut LT).

There is also $1.6 million in savings cutting hartstock who can be replaced by Matt Mulligan as the blocking Te.

BT will have to go as there is no dead money cutting him, we save over $3million and most importantly he is slow as crap.

Depending on how he graded out (especially with telegraphing the awful pass on the goaline), wayne hunter could be a good guy to replace woody at around $1.5 a year. Then ducasse can have another year to get up to speed as I jsut dont see how he can be ready for RT next year. Turner needs to be kept as G/C insurance and we will need to draft an Olineman late in the draft.

That still does not leave enough money for all 4 of harris, cro, braylon and holmes.

I read today that the Jets prefer santonio over holmes as he "commands more defensive attention" but we wont know who they want for quite some time.

I dont see how Cro is a wise investment at anywhere over $4 million. He just doesnt do enough for that kind of money.

Harris is also so tough to get a feeling on. He is a very very good player, but the key word is good, not great. At $3-4 million he would be great for us, but when you start paying ILBs $8+ million, they better be Ray Lewis.

If a guy like Westerman is really ready to step into the position, or a guy like DQuell Jackson is healthy and cheaper, that would not be a terrible move. That being said, Harris knows our defense, is very good vs the run, calls the defensive signals and Rex loves him....gonna be a tough call.
    Bingo! That's how we sustain success. I even started a threat giving some props to the scouting guys like Bradway and Clinkscales, truly unsung guys in terms of the success the Jets have had.

But if we want to continue to succeed, Cap be damned, we MUST draft well and see those guys contributing in big ways. Can Wilson and McKnight replace a guy like Brad Smith in the KR/PR area? Can Wilson develop into a solid #2 CB that eventually makes moot the need to get a CB in FA or retain Cromartie? etc.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life View Post
    Tanny will figure it out.
    thats what I tell myself when thinking about all the FAs we have.

Tannenbaum is one hell of a GM and does wonders with the cap, I have full confidence that if there is a way to keep all these guys (and the Jets want them all back) then he will find a way. If we cant keep them all, he will do the best damn job possible in replacing these players.

Mike Tannenbaum has to be a Top 3-5 GM in the NFL easily, and the best the Jets have had since I have been alive.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Bingo! That's how we sustain success. I even started a threat giving some props to the scouting guys like Bradway and Clinkscales, truly unsung guys in terms of the success the Jets have had.

But if we want to continue to succeed, Cap be damned, we MUST draft well and see those guys contributing in big ways. Can Wilson and McKnight replace a guy like Brad Smith in the KR/PR area? Can Wilson develop into a solid #2 CB that eventually makes moot the need to get a CB in FA or retain Cromartie? etc.
    Exactly. Look at the Super Bowl, both the Steelers and Packers are composed almost entirely of players who were drafted by those teams. They are a lot cheaper, and they often re-sign for cap-friendly deals before they hit the open market. We need Ducasse and McKnight to develop into starters (or as a very good compliment to Greene) and to hit on the draft picks this season as well. That's how you free up money to make the occasional big FA splash and ensure continued success.

All Pro
    are issues not the cap.... its signing everyone

All League

No one.

Yeah man, no need to play the thread police.

Unless you're going to eliminate the daily "Has Schotty Been Fired Yet?" threads. That I would definitely support.

Banned
    Jet Nut There is no cap right now. Why worry about it?

Because the next time the Jets take the field there will be a cap, perhaps?

Because that's what discussion forums are for, perhaps?

SAR I

Banned

No one.

Your oversized signature that violates forum rules has been reported.

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GronkWelkhead View Post
    And since no one, I repeat no one, knows if there will even be any football next year, this site should just shut down.....or maybe you should quit talking
    I just had a chicken and pesto sandwich for lunch and now its gone. Does that mean I can't talk about it?

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I just had a chicken and pesto sandwich for lunch and now its gone. Does that mean I can't talk about it?

SAR I
    That's correct. And you're a freakin' asswipe for even mentioning it.

Toasted or no?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GronkWelkhead View Post
    That's correct. And you're a freakin' asswipe for even mentioning it.

Toasted or no?
    There is no sandwich right now. Why worry about it?

SAR I