Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Franchise Tag

All Pro

Franchise Tag

Why not sign Harris and Holmes to long term deals, give Braylon a 1 year deal, and Franchise Cromartie..Then hopefully in 2012 Kyle Wilson can take over for him..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

First of all Braylon is an UFA. Noway in hell would he except a 1 year deal. Teams are going to throw some jack at him and you better believe it will be more then 1 year.

Banned
    No more franchise tag

Undrafted Free Agent
    I guess there was a labor meeting of some sort at NFL offices today, and teams were told that they can likely expect to use the franchise tag in February.

Gregg Rosenthal reported:

One big takeaway from today's session: League expects franchise tag to be available for use as normal in Feb.
    Source

Albert Breer of the NFL Network followed that up by saying Harris OR Holmes of the Jets are likely to be on list of players likely to be considered by their teams to be franchised. He included Manning, Vick, Ngata, Tamba Hali, etc. in regards to players likely to be franchised in February, by their respective teams, as well.

You can find where he mentions that by checking his Twitter, Albert Breer: NFL Network

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by lovethejets View Post
    I guess there was a labor meeting of some sort at NFL offices today, and teams were told that they can likely expect to use the franchise tag in February.

Gregg Rosenthal reported:

Source

Albert Breer of the NFL Network followed that up by saying Harris OR Holmes of the Jets are likely to be on list of players likely to be considered by their teams to be franchised. He included Manning, Vick, Ngata, Tamba Hali, etc. in regards to players likely to be franchised in February, by their respective teams, as well.

You can find where he mentions that by checking his Twitter, Albert Breer: NFL Network

If that's true, then I think that Harris and Braylon will be re-signed to multi-year deals(and when I say multi-year, I mean 3 years or MORE). Don't know what they do about Cromartie, though.

If the tag comes back the strategy is simple. Sign two long term and franchise another. My choice would sign Harris and Cro long term and franchise Santonio.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanmack View Post
    If the tag comes back the strategy is simple. Sign two long term and franchise another. My choice would sign Harris and Cro long term and franchise Santonio.
    We also need to keep Braylon

franchise tag

If you franchise a guy,don't you have to pay them the average of the top 6 guys at the position? With the deals Revis and Assumauga signed,that could be pretty pricey.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    Why not sign Harris and Holmes to long term deals, give Braylon a 1 year deal, and Franchise Cromartie..Then hopefully in 2012 Kyle Wilson can take over for him..
    And you think Cro is going to be a happy camper with being franchised knowingthat his Jets days are numbered? I doubt they will do that to him. if they feel that WILSON will be a lockdown CB , CRO will be gone. I think Cole might be the guy to step up next year.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I don't have any idea what the tag number would be for David Harris or Cromartie, but per an article in the New York Post today, the franchise topic as it pertained to Santonio was already touched on a little bit:

The first agent also said "depending on what happens" with the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Jets could put a franchise tag on Holmes.

Entering the 2010 season, the franchise tag salary for receivers, which is the average of the top five salaries at the position, was $9.521 million, with the Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald the highest paid at $10.9 million.
    They seem to indicate top five salaries, and indicate that as the salary heading in to 2010. Someone else will have to say what the numbers would potentially look like if David Harris or Cromartie was franchised.
    Last edited by lovethejets; 01-27-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovethejets View Post
    I don't have any idea what the tag number would be for David Harris or Cromartie, but per an article in the New York Post today, the franchise topic as it pertained to Santonio was already touched on a little bit:

They seem to indicate top five salaries, and indicate that as the salary heading in to 2010. Someone else will have to say what the numbers would potentially look like if David Harris or Cromartie was franchised.
    Last years tag number for LBs was 9.68 million and for corners it was 9.566 million. I dont think the Jets would seriously consider tagging either player if the numbers are close to that this season.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Thanks for the info, Jason. Wow. The numbers are that high?

In my ignorance, I had no clue. You're totally right. Using the tag would be steep, regardless of what player/position.

All Pro
    I think this is more or less what they will do, with the exception of signing Braylon to a one-year deal. He won't accept that off the season he just had. No chance.

As for Cro, he's not going to be happy being tagged, but he's also not coming off a truly spectacular year that would guarantee him huge dollars. The Jets might smooth it over with him by promising not to use the tag on him again --the team ought to have some goodwill with him because it helped him out with child support stuff last year.

Regardless, the team has the right to do it and, frankly, needs to know more about Kyle Wilson before it can make a truly informed decision on keeping Cro long term.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola View Post
    I think this is more or less what they will do, with the exception of signing Braylon to a one-year deal. He won't accept that off the season he just had. No chance.
    Why should he? He is going to be 28 very shortly. a 5-year-deal(AT LEAST) should be his goal.

All Pro
    I'm not sure if Cro is brought back or not but I think the Jets management is going to be very crafty in trying to retain all of these guys. Wilson is just too big of a question mark to not have a proven starter on the roster.

Everyone knew Revis was going to be good, and he flashed a lot of shutdown abilities in his rookie season. Kyle on the other hand hasn't shown any signs this season of being a shutdown guy (or even a capable starter). He looked completely lost out there, and didn't seem to have a good feel for identifying the ball (he got caught almost every time with his head focused on the receiver and his back to the ball).

Given all of our free agents and related needs, we are going to need some of the guys coming back to give us a hom town discount. With the possible exception of Braylon, I don't think we should be putting the franchise tag on anyone that we plan to keep.

Hall Of Fame
    Braylon is already on record as saying he will NOT sign a one-year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    If you franchise a guy,don't you have to pay them the average of the top 6 guys at the position? With the deals Revis and Assumauga signed,that could be pretty pricey.
    Aso's deal was terminated by the raiders for not reaching incentives. That helps i guess.

All Pro
    I think Cro will definately be here..at least 1 more year. We gave a 2 for him. We brought him in to beat The Mannings and Bradys..He helped. Kyle Wilson is NOt ready to fill those shoes.

Undrafted Free Agent
    We will now see how badly players want to play for Rex. (It all comes down to the money not the coach)