Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Tannenbaum basically say he wants Kyle Wilson to become a starter?

All League

Did Tannenbaum basically say he wants Kyle Wilson to become a starter?

JennyVrentas

Tannenbaum says K. Wilson was "somewhat inconsistent." Says his development is "paramount objective" for offseason. #nyj
    nyjets

#EA Tannenbaum wants to see CB Kyle Wilson play at a higher level next year, displaying more consistency.
    We all know he was drafted to eventually start on the outside (not play nickel slot)
    He's a man-to-man guy
    Is his time now?

All Pro
    I think he is definitely looked at as a future starter. I mean you dont just spend a first round pick on a nickelback, even if Rex loves corners and even your third CB has become a premium position in this pass happy league. With the emergence of Cole and Coleman who have been terrific this year considering from where they came from I could definitely see the FO let Cromartie go. Sure we gave up a pick for him but that shouldnt impact our decision on him in the future. The pick is gone either way.

With an improved pass rush and more concentration on upgrading the front seven I could see the Jets letting Wilson learn on the spot next year. He has shown improvement at the end of the year and definitely has everything you look for in a starting CB. We'll see.

I think he'll be fine as a starter on the outside covering teams's #2 WRs next year. Covering guys in the slot is a much tougher task than covering guys on the outside.

It's a little scary that the team pretty much buried him on the bench in the 2nd half of the season. Not sure what that was all about, but I really think the guy will be a decent player for us.

Banned
    after revis was able to step in and become one of the best corners from day 1 this makes gusy like kyle wilson's expectations so much higher. you can't expect him to be revis. for a rookie i think he did pretty well when he played.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I think he'll be fine as a starter on the outside covering teams's #2 WRs next year. Covering guys in the slot is a much tougher task than covering guys on the outside.

It's a little scary that the team pretty much buried him on the bench in the 2nd half of the season. Not sure what that was all about, but I really think the guy will be a decent player for us.
    i think it had more to do with being a contender and not wanting inexperience to ruin the jets' chances when they had experienced veterans who could step in and not make those mistakes.

I agree with the move, plenty of rookies have struggled at CB. Its one of the toughest positions to transition to, maybe the toughest now... I don't feel comfortable giving Cromartie big money and rather bring back both WRs as we have nothing at WR right now and if Cromartie leaves there is a chance that Wilson ends up being a good starter.

Here is something to think about...

Nnamdi Asomugha had 0 PD as a rookie and Antonio Cromartie had 4 PD as a rookie, Cromartie had 10 INTs his 2nd season.. Wilson is no Revis but no one is, I still think he can be a quality #2 CB for us... Especially if we improve the pass rush..

All Pro
    He was a first round draft pick so I think we should all hope that Wilson will become a starter, some day. After Cromartie's talk all throughout January and the lack of funds we're to have to be able to re-sign the "Core Four", I just think he'll be the odd man out and either Coleman or Wilson will be thrust into the starting role opposite The Island.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    This is a no-brainer. It's how the Jets have been successful. We have to continue to hit homeruns on early draft picks like we've done with D'Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Sanchez, Greene.

Kyle Wilson becoming a solid #2 starting CB for the Jets is critical to on-field success and managing the Cap.

You can only afford one Vernon Gholston type miss about every 4 to 5 years.

Our successful drafting is exactly the reason I tried to call out and thank Joey Clinkscales and Terry Bradway in this thread...

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=226523

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    This is a no-brainer. It's how the Jets have been successful. We have to continue to hit homeruns on early draft picks like we've done with D'Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Sanchez, Greene.

Kyle Wilson becoming a solid #2 starting CB for the Jets is critical to on-field success and managing the Cap.

You can only afford one Vernon Gholston type miss about every 4 to 5 years.

Our successful drafting is exactly the reason I tried to call out and thank Joey Clinkscales and Terry Bradway in this thread...

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=226523
    The Gholston miss gets magnified because he was a number 6 pick. If we continue to advance in the playoffs, we are going to be picking in the upper 20's and really have to turn it up a notch as we need to look high and low for value. I would like to see KW get a shot on the outside. If someone gets hurt, he will have to play an integral role anyway

All Pro
    Wilson = Gholsten at this point.

He was benched at corner and was benched at punt returner. The guy was a disaster this year.

Lets hope he doesnt continue to be gholsten.

All Pro
    I'm not reading into that statement that he wants Kyle to start next season. Kyle couldn't even get onto the field in the nickel and contributed little to none during the season. I think they would like for him to at the very minimum become the regular starter in teh nickel packages.

All League
    I was actually thinking over this very topic earlier. Wilson was most definitely drafted to be the starter. If it has to happen sooner to keep, let's say Braylon and Santonio on the team, I think it's a necessary move.

I liked Cromartie more than most, but he is probably our most expendable FA.

All Pro
    For Wilson to go from where he was at the end of the year to quality starter would be a massive jump.

I know he has the physical ability to be one of the best in the league, hopefully he has the brain, work ethic, and the confidence.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

He was benched at corner and was benched at punt returner. The guy was a disaster this year.

Gholston never got on the field in an AFCCG. Wilson did and even made a play...

Hall Of Fame

Who's Gholsten?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    after revis was able to step in and become one of the best corners from day 1 this makes gusy like kyle wilson's expectations so much higher. you can't expect him to be revis. for a rookie i think he did pretty well when he played.
    Revis wasn't a dominant force as a rookie. It takes time.

Comaring Wilson to Gholston is idiotic.

All Pro
    Wilson did and even made a play...
    Is getting hit in the face with the ball considered making a play?

All Pro
    Is getting hit in the face with the ball considered making a play?
    Driving a receiver off his route and forcing an incompletion is making a play to me. He defended that slant perfectly. Sure, he should have made the pick but he still made a good defensive play.

Waterboy

That is a bit harsh. Coming from the expierance I had with my team, Davis and Smith took about 2 years to become solid starters at the CB position. Davis obviously the better of the two, but if Smith could somehow get rid of the cement blocks on his hands he could've had a 6 int season.

You guys are spoiled by Revis, who made the transition flawlessly, he is the best natural CB I have seen since Deion, and he likes to tackle. Wilson needs time to grow, definetly wont put him in convsersation with Gholsten.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Who's Gholsten?
    Molden Gholsten, the lager that never justifies it's draft status.