Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Akers

All Pro

David Akers

Folk was very very shaky this year, and I know most of us werent exactly comfortable with him out there, especially in the playoffs, what do you guys think about David Akers as a replacement?

Hes a FA and with his very diminshed relationship with Reid after the playoff game, and the situation with his daughter, you would have to think that not only does he want out of Philly, but he would be playing with something to prove.

Not sure what the cost is etc, but Id feel a lot better with him lining up for playoff kicks then Folk.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Folk was very very shaky this year, and I know most of us werent exactly comfortable with him out there, especially in the playoffs, what do you guys think about David Akers as a replacement?

Hes a FA and with his very diminshed relationship with Reid after the playoff game, and the situation with his daughter, you would have to think that not only does he want out of Philly, but he would be playing with something to prove.Not sure what the cost is etc, but Id feel a lot better with him lining up for playoff kicks then Folk.
    Or he just stops football altogether to care of his family.

Hall Of Fame
    I'd be 100% for signing him.

All League
    i hate david akers

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Or he just stops football altogether to care of his family.
    His daughter is actually fine now...they are almost positive she is and will be cancer free.

Hall Of Fame
    Was Folk really that bad this season?

I mean he had one rough stretch in the middle of the season, but he didn't really cost us any games.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

I mean he had one rough stretch in the middle of the season, but he didn't really cost us any games.
    Isn't Folk a free agent? We can't spend a ton of cash on a kicker....I think we have more pressing needs

Hall Of Fame
    ^ agreed. We have to take care of our immediate concerns.

The Kicker situation should be resolved only AFTER we Re-sign Holmes,Edwards, Harris, Brad Smith and Cro(Franchise tag).

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Hes a FA and with his very diminshed relationship with Reid after the playoff game, and the situation with his daughter, you would have to think that not only does he want out of Philly, but he would be playing with something to prove.

Not sure what the cost is etc, but Id feel a lot better with him lining up for playoff kicks then Folk.
    well, i'd love for the jets to have akers, but the kind of money a kicker like akers needs to be paid might make it hard with all the players the jets need to re-sign. i think it's folk for another year.

Veteran

the kicking game is an important part of the game

it is apparent that folk is not the answer for the jets.change we must

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

This is true, but the reason Folk is replaceable is the fact that he inspires no confidence. Guys like Brien and Nugent weren't world-beaters, but when lining up from 35 and in, you at least had about 90-95% confidence that they'd split the uprights. I think Folk missed three from inside 35 this year - that's unacceptable and should be upgradeable.

Agree that kicker is the lowest priority though - if the Jets can somehow retain this core then I'm confident that Folk won't have too many opportunities to cost us games next year either.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    akers missed 2 field goals against the packers and they lost by 5. PASS.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    This is true, but the reason Folk is replaceable is the fact that he inspires no confidence. Guys like Brien and Nugent weren't world-beaters, but when lining up from 35 and in, you at least had about 90-95% confidence that they'd split the uprights. I think Folk missed three from inside 35 this year - that's unacceptable and should be upgradeable.

Agree that kicker is the lowest priority though - if the Jets can somehow retain this core then I'm confident that Folk won't have too many opportunities to cost us games next year either.
    which games did he cost us this year?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Agreed plus he is no spring chicken. The team has got to get younger. FOLK did OK. I understand those that felt shaky with him. so did I. but aside from his kickoffs, he never really hurt us by costing us games. As with many young guys, maybe with experience he will improve. but going for an old kicker is not the way to go. If we could draft a guy with a booming leg, Id be ok with it but we have many defensive priorities to address.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Gotta look at the circumstances that he missed them under....but yes it is an issue.

I dont want to spend Big money on a kicker, but akers has been very reliable in his career, and I think the misses were abberations due to his personal life at the time.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    which games did he cost us this year?
    I said it was true that Folk didn't cost the team any games this year. But if Santonio doesn't pull off a miracle catch-and-run, I think it's pretty safe to say he would have cost them the Cleveland game.

You could also argue (I wouldn't, but you could) that his miss against GB from about 35 was bigger than just a failed 3 points as it killed what little momentum the Jets had in that game and altered the strategy late.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... akers fits in the level of kickers you can be reasonably confident in ...

... definitely would be a step up ...

... agree with those who are saying we should focus 1st on our wr, cb, & lb's before upping salary cap $$$ here ...

l_j_r

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I'd be all for it.

Next to Vinatieri, Akers is the best placekicker of the past decade.

The guy had one bad outing in the playoffs. He certainly hasn't made a habit of it. He's had a stellar career and is very reliable. Certainly an upgrade over Folk.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    I'd be 100% for signing him.
    +1 BUT......

Did Folk cost us any games this year?????

If I remember, he hit a few key shots, i.e. COLTS comes to mind.

Akers had seasons that he kicked under 80%.... Anyways whenever I watch him he misses, so I wouldn't want him..