Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shockey cut

Veteran

Shockey cut

Saints cut Jeremy Shockey
    Posted by Michael David Smith on February 22, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
    Jeremy Shockey Pic

The New Orleans Saints are cutting ties with tight end Jeremy Shockey.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports first reported that the Saints are terminating Shockey’s contract.

“It’s a business, I understand,” Shockey told ESPN’s Rachel Nichols. “I’ll just go play hard for someone else. Whoever gets me it’s going to be a steal.”

Shockey has long been a favorite of Saints coach Sean Payton, who was the Giants’ offensive coordinator in 2002, when Shockey was the Giants’ first-round draft pick. So in that respect this move may seem like a surprise.

But the Saints loved the production that rookie tight end Jimmy Graham had in 2010, so it’s not a shock that Shockey is being let go to make room for Graham as the new No. 1 tight end in New Orleans.

Veteran
    oh no --- lemme guess sign him up? i hate the offseason

All League
    Shockey-ing!
    Maybe GHOLSTON is next...

All Pro
    One of the most overrated players of the last ten years.

Pass.

i'm no big schlockey fan but he does have talent as a te and wouldn't be such a bad pick up at the right price.

All League
    Cut Hartsock, add Shockey. That would be nice. And +1 to the talent and right price comment above.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded_Achilles View Post
    oh no --- lemme guess sign him up? i hate the offseason
    of course, for short money.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post

Pass.
    Yeah, over rated as in he would immediately become the best TE on our roster.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Pass.
    Totally agree. Trouble maker too.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Totally agree. Trouble maker too.
    I hear he is a real A-hole.

This is the story that I heard.

Shocky would curse and intimidate Manning to throw him the ball, even when he was covered. "Give me the f'ing ball g-damn it!!" When Shockey broke his leg, Manning was relieved, went on to win the superbowl.

Shockey then tried his act in New Orleans. Brees would have none of it, called time and told his coach to calm this a-hole down or take him out of the game.

Can't prove any of this, it's just what a heard.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heynowguy View Post
    I hear he is a real A-hole.

This is the story that I heard.

Shocky would curse and intimidate Manning to throw him the ball, even when he was covered. "Give me the f'ing ball g-damn it!!" When Shockey broke his leg, Manning was relieved, went on to win the superbowl.

Shockey then tried his act in New Orleans. Brees would have none of it, called time and told his coach to calm this a-hole down or take him out of the game.

Can't prove any of this, it's just what a heard.
    That's pretty much true he is a baby, or at least was. He is inconsistent too.

All League
    All I remember is him sitting in a luxury box watching the Giants win the SB, drinking a beer....He obviously didn't want to support his teammates....He's a cancer. Pass.

As per Wiki:

On December 16, 2007, in week 15 of the season, while playing the Washington Redskins, Shockey broke his left fibula and suffered damage to his ankle. He underwent surgery, and missed the rest of the 2007 season. Kevin Boss then took over Shockey's spot as the starting tight end.

Despite Shockey's season-ending injury, the Giants went on to win the NFC title and beat the previously undefeated New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. The Giants’ success even without Shockey sparked immediate speculation that the team would be better without the often vocal and increasingly injured tight end. Shockey declined to participate in several Giants team celebrations including a White House tribute for the new Super Bowl champions and the team's blue carpet ring ceremony. [2] Rumors surfaced before the 2008 NFL Draft that the Giants were looking to trade Shockey.

After the draft came and went without such a trade, the team stated it planned to keep Shockey a Giant. But it was obvious that Shockey was upset during the team's minicamp in June. While teammates practiced, Shockey stayed in the locker room, much to the dismay of head coach Tom Coughlin. There also was a report that Shockey and general manager Jerry Reese got into a shouting argument during the camp.[3]

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    i'm no big schlockey fan but he does have talent as a te and wouldn't be such a bad pick up at the right price.
    For the right price, and the prospect of playing again in a high profile market like NY would appeal to his ego.

All Pro
    The best play of his career was his 1st catch in his 1st preseason game. He barreled over a texan defender and ran down the field. Sadly, that was the highlight of his career. Injuries and a bad attitude robbed this guy of a great career.

All Pro

Pass.
    +1

Veteran
    Just say NO..

All League
    Only for the right price

All League
    We don't need this guy getting into Sanchez's head. Pass. His best skills are his reputation which he only earned in a year or two. Giants got better when he went down and he was not a significant part of the Saints offense at any point.

All Pro
    It was obvious how much Eli stepped up his game and improved his game as soon as Shockey got hurt. I don't think they would have won the SB with him on the team. I would never want someone like that on my team and he was lucky to be ttaded to a team that went on to win the SB.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyTestaverde'sNiece View Post
    It was obvious how much Eli stepped up his game and improved his game as soon as Shockey got hurt. I don't think they would have won the SB with him on the team. I would never want someone like that on my team and he was lucky to be ttaded to a team that went on to win the SB.
    True, but then Drew Brees won a Super Bowl just a couple years later. Shockey even caught td passes in both the divisional playoff round and Super Bowl. So the perception of Shockey being a qb-killer is blown out of proportion.

Shockey would be a good compliment to Keller. He can block, he's nowhere near as productive a receiver he was earlier in his career but then again that's really Keller's job.

The problem is Shockey has a big mouth and would NEVER tolerate Brian Schottenheimer's ineptitude. Jets would be forced to cut Shockey b/c he'd be badmouthing Schitty by week 2 of the preseason.