Thread: New Story: Jets Cut Woody, Jenkins, Taylor and Gholston

All Jets 24/7

Post New Story: Jets Cut Woody, Jenkins, Taylor and Gholston

Florham Park, N.J. - With a, almost inevitable, lockout looming the New York Jets have made some tactical financial decisions to prepare them for next season, whenever that may be.

Yesterday the Jets informed offensive tackle Damien Woody, defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, linebacker Jason Taylor and the ever disappointing Vernon Gholston that their services would no longer be required with the Jets. None of this news should come as a shock to anybody as they were all cuts that were predicted to be made.

Immediately after the loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship, Taylor had already begun to talk...

More...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    The funny thing about all these cuts is that the one who will affect us the most is Gholston with his cap hit.

Thanks for everything Vernon.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    The funny thing about all these cuts is that the one who will affect us the most is Gholston with his cap hit.

Thanks for everything Vernon.
    If there is no season does it still count as a year towards the cap?

Super*****/Prom Queen
    The funny thing about all these cuts is that the one who will affect us the most is Gholston with his cap hit. Thanks for everything Vernon.

It's not Gholston's fault he hit the NFL Lotto and Mangini was stupid enough to cash in his 1st round ticket. I do believe that Rex was smart enough to evaluate his talents, or lack thereof and NOT put him in a position to earn that extra $9 million bonus if he fell on an opposing team's QB by accident and have some zebra ruling it a sack.

Hey, the upswing in all of this is the Jet fans get to pick a new team goat. Just as soon as somebody decides there is going to be an NFL season 2011.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    It's not Gholston's fault he hit the NFL Lotto and Mangini was stupid enough to cash in his 1st round ticket. I do believe that Rex was smart enough to evaluate his talents, or lack thereof and NOT put him in a position to earn that extra $9 million bonus if he fell on an opposing team's QB by accident and have some zebra ruling it a sack.

Hey, the upswing in all of this is the Jet fans get to pick a new team goat. Just as soon as somebody decides there is going to be an NFL season 2011.

i'm still going to keep blaming Gholston.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    i'm still going to keep blaming Gholston.

Of course you are, but I'm going to blame you if I see Vernon on a future episode of COPS.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Of course you are, but I'm going to blame you if I see Vernon on a future episode of COPS.

LOL. I'm not a cop, that's my brother you're thinking of.

Hall Of Fame

As an addendim to our earlier conversation. Let the healing begin

Incidentally why does the bust belong to Mangini and all the good draft outcomes belong to Mike Tannenbaum?

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    As an addendim to our earlier conversation. Let the healing begin Incidentally why does the bust belong to Mangini and all the good draft outcomes belong to Mike Tannenbaum?

Well, here's hoping you start feeling better right away now that the Axis of Evil has been exorcised from the team.

And I believe that Eric Mangini made a litany of mistakes highlighted by the signing of Vernon Gholston and all at the expense of one of the biggest market teams in the NFL. What coach gets pissed off at a player for giving him a term of endearment nickname by calling him "The Penguin" & Mangini retaliates by making the entire the team go to a kid's movie as part of OTA's?

So now that Gholston is gone, who will the NYJ fans nominate and start to cyber pick on next? And Schottenheimer doesn't count.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Well, here's hoping you start feeling better right away now that the Axis of Evil has been exorcised from the team.

And I believe that Eric Mangini made a litany of mistakes highlighted by the signing of Vernon Gholston and all at the expense of one of the biggest market teams in the NFL. What coach gets pissed off at a player for giving him a term of endearment nickname by calling him "The Penguin" & Mangini retaliates by making the entire the team go to a kid's movie as part of OTA's?

So now that Gholston is gone, who will the NYJ fans nominate and start to cyber pick on next? And Schottenheimer doesn't count.

No one will live down to Gholston's performances. What I DO believe is that no Jet fan can just be happy. If we win the Superbowl, people will *****.

Having said that, here's to next season (whenever it may be).

Veteran
    How long until New England signs Gholston?

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrad01 View Post
    How long until New England signs Gholston?

If that ever happens, I'll call my uncle and ask him to donate a one way limousine ride to Foxboro, MA.

Hall Of Fame
    we should all be in times square dancing in joy and celebration that gholston is no longer a jet.

thank you god

Hall Of Fame
    let me first state that this is probably misinformation on the part of a radio tapehead

but

Jody Mac or Tierney said that Gholston had a kicker in his contract that he would get 9 million dollars when he got his first sack or his first fumble recovery and never managed to reach either of those goals

All Pro
    Incidentally why does the bust belong to Mangini and all the good draft outcomes belong to Mike Tannenbaum?
    Because those left standing write the History.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    lost in all the news is that they _DIDN'T_ cut Bryan Thomas.

Considering his cap hit that's a fairly significant development.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    lost in all the news is that they _DIDN'T_ cut Bryan Thomas.

Considering his cap hit that's a fairly significant development.
    YET. He doesn't have a roster bonus due in the first few days of the NFL calendar year, so there's no reason in the world to cut him now. He can be cut right before the season if need be. At the very least, they'll see what the cap looks like in order to evaluate whether he needs to go.

My guess is that he'll stay but his cap hit will come down. Either through an extension or a forced restructuring.

Hall Of Fame
    As an addendim to our earlier conversation. Let the healing begin

Tanny gets full "credit" for big vern. Thankfully, big vern is, arguably his ONLY draft screwup since he took on the job in 2006

so he gets the same full credit for Brick and Mangold, Brad and Eric Smith and Drew Coleman in 2006, Revis and Harris in 2007, Keller and Lowery in 2008, Sanchez, Greene and Slaussen in 2009 and we'll see about 2010

What was worse, drafting Gholston or trading a first round pick for Doug Jolly rather than just drafting Heath Miller with that pick? hmmmmm

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    What was worse, drafting Gholston or trading a first round pick for Doug Jolly rather than just drafting Heath Miller with that pick? hmmmmm
    Not much is worse than Gholston. Can you name bigger busts?

Blair Thomas had 100 yard and multiple TD games.

Dewayne Robertson had some production.

Bryan Thomas is serviceable against the run (at least), and has his moments.

What has Gholston done?

Nada. Do you know what "Nada" means?