Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QB McElroy already impressing with smarts

Hall Of Fame

QB McElroy already impressing with smarts

MISSION VIEJO, Calif. -- It's really hard to get a read on a player in what amounts to an informal passing camp, but it didn't take Mark Sanchez long to get a positive vibe from the newest quarterback in the room, rookie Greg McElroy.

"He's so sharp," Sanchez said during a break at his "Jets West" camp. "He's got a ton of experience in college. He played in a lot of games -- a national championship (2009). That's great to add to our quarterback room. He's picking things up quickly in the classroom. It'll be good competition for all of us."

McElroy, who posted a 24-3 starting record at Alabama, was drafted in the seventh round last weekend. Three of the Jets' four offensive draft picks are here for the camp -- McElroy, WR Jeremy Kerley (fifth round, TCU) and WR Scotty McKnight (seventh round, Colorado). McKnight is local, a close friend of Sanchez. The only one who isn't here is RB Bilal Powell (fourth round, Louisville).

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: McElroy doesn't have a rifle arm -- his long balls tend to float -- but he's able to hit receivers in stride on deep corner routes. Much like ex-Jets QB Chad Pennington, it looks like he'll be a touch and timing passer ... McKnight's long speed doesn't make you say, "Wow," but he's quick in and out of his cuts, which will serve him well in the slot. Good hands ... Kerley is a fluid receiver. There's a polish to his game, and you can see it right away. He also tracks the ball well on deep routes.

ONE MAN'S OPINION: I touched base with a highly-respected personnel guy from another team, and he offered a few thoughts on some of the Jets' draft picks.

DE Muhammad Wilkerson (first round): "We had him rated as a high 2. He's a good player and a good kid. The Jets will like him. He fits their scheme really well."

NT Kenrick Ellis (third round): "There are so many things you have to deal with. He had the off-the-field incidents at South Carolina (positive drug tests) and now he's got the pending assault. Obviously, that isn't good. We interviewed him. He's not a bad kid, just very, very misguided. He's a good player. If you want to like him, there's enough to like, but you have to worry about the other stuff."

Powell: "He's very average. He's a big, power guy. He's a good tackle-box runner. I was so-so on the kid. If you have a need, you take him. If you don't, he's not a guy that makes you say, 'Wow.'"

Kerley: "He's a good kid. He's a good, inside receiver. I think he's going to be a good pro. I like that pick. He could help them, especially with all the uncertainty at receiver."

McKnight: "I'm surprised they drafted him. They could've gotten him as a free agent. Everybody knows he's close with Sanchez, so we all figured, 'He's going to the Jets.'"

BOOK HIM: Because of the lockout, only one Jets rookie received a playbook -- Wilkerson. Rex Ryan, speaking Tuesday at a book signing, said he gave Wilkerson a playbook to take home when he visited the Jets' facility last Friday, according to The Star-Ledger of Newark. Ryan said he wasn't able to talk to the other draft picks, but the three attending "Jets West" are learning from material prepared by Sanchez.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ng-with-smarts

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Much like ex-Jets QB Chad Pennington, it looks like he'll be a touch and timing passer

McKnight's long speed doesn't make you say, "Wow,"

you have to worry about the other stuff."

He's very average...he's not a guy that makes you say, 'Wow.'"

"I'm surprised they drafted him. They could've gotten him as a free agent.
    ATB®

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This is where continuity comes into play. The Jets will have the same offense in place with the same QB, who's one year more mature. I'd hate to be a team with a new coach and/or QB right now.

Will it make a difference? Prolly not. But who knows.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Sanchez is the f***ing bomb! Two years in the league and he is the absoulate leader of the team!

"He's picking things up quickly in the classroom. It'll be good competition for all of us."

I love it!
    Last edited by Jetfan61; 05-04-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan61 View Post
    Sanchez is the f***ing bomb!

... + 1 ...

... love this kid!!! ...

l_j_r

Rookie
    I think Sanchez is trying to look good for his sister... because shes pretty damn hot

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    And that's where he went, basically. He was probably rated anywhere from a mid 1st to a high 2. Within that range, different teams will value certain players higher.

If they said "High 3 or 4" then I'd be a bit concerned. But, other teams passed on him when given the chance, so you can't really say that everyone had him higher.

All League
    Me too.

I thought so too.

Indeed
    It's a seventh round pick, they can probably get the other players they might have picked in that round as UDFAs anyway, and the pick is a huge vote of confidence in Sanchez and the commitment the Jets have to them. The intangible benefits of that pick far far outweigh the outside chance they get a 7th round sleeper. I totally disagree with you on this pick and think in some ways it is one of their best picks in the draft because of the impact it will have on Sanchez.

All Pro
    And what happens if he's not good enough to merit a roster spot and we have to cut him?

Do we cut our QB's BFF so close to the opener and how does that affect his frame of mind?

Or do we cut someone who deserves the roster spot more than McKnight to appease Mark Sanchez?

If this kid is good then none of this matter, but if he isn't this can get tricky.
    ================================================== ==================

You just have to trust the coaching staff to make the right decisions, as always.

Consider this, is it not possible that having McKnight on the team could help Sanchez develop even if he never sets foot on the field in a reg season game, kinda like Brunel.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Oh okay, I misunderstood, I thought he said as high as 2 (i.e. #2 Overall), but he said as a high 2

MY BAD
    Are you high 2?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Kerley is a fluid receiver. There's a polish to his game, and you can see it right away. He also tracks the ball well on deep routes.

Kerley: "He's a good kid. He's a good, inside receiver. I think he's going to be a good pro. I like that pick. He could help them, especially with all the uncertainty at receiver."
    I saw him at the Senior Bowl and also was impressed.

the Kirley pick might be the one that helps this team the most, this year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    also RE scotty mcknight

Mark Sanchez is the key to the franchise and he's had his best friend on the team for a week. 240 overall is not exactly a prime pick. Happy thoughts Mark!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan61 View Post
    Sanchez is the f***ing bomb! Two years in the league and he is the absoulate leader of the team!

"He's picking things up quickly in the classroom. It'll be good competition for all of us."

I love it!
    Hope he's teaching McElroy the right plays...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... + 1 ...

... love this kid!!! ...

l_j_r
    Great young qb we got for ourselves, and a fine leader to boot!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Dude View Post
    I think Sanchez is trying to look good for his sister... because shes pretty damn hot
    pics!??!?!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Hope he's teaching McElroy the right plays...
    As opposed to the wrong ones Schitty would call?!

Hall Of Fame
    MISSION VIEJO, Calif. -- It's really hard to get a read on a player in what amounts to an informal passing camp, but it didn't take Mark Sanchez long to get a positive vibe from the newest quarterback in the room, rookie Greg McElroy.

"He's so sharp," Sanchez said during a break at his "Jets West" camp. "He's got a ton of experience in college. He played in a lot of games -- a national championship (2009). That's great to add to our quarterback room. He's picking things up quickly in the classroom. It'll be good competition for all of us."

McElroy, who posted a 24-3 starting record at Alabama, was drafted in the seventh round last weekend. Three of the Jets' four offensive draft picks are here for the camp -- McElroy, WR Jeremy Kerley (fifth round, TCU) and WR Scotty McKnight (seventh round, Colorado). McKnight is local, a close friend of Sanchez. The only one who isn't here is RB Bilal Powell (fourth round, Louisville).

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: McElroy doesn't have a rifle arm -- his long balls tend to float -- but he's able to hit receivers in stride on deep corner routes. Much like ex-Jets QB Chad Pennington, it looks like he'll be a touch and timing passer ... McKnight's long speed doesn't make you say, "Wow," but he's quick in and out of his cuts, which will serve him well in the slot. Good hands ... Kerley is a fluid receiver. There's a polish to his game, and you can see it right away. He also tracks the ball well on deep routes.

ONE MAN'S OPINION: I touched base with a highly-respected personnel guy from another team, and he offered a few thoughts on some of the Jets' draft picks.

DE Muhammad Wilkerson (first round): "We had him rated as a high 2. He's a good player and a good kid. The Jets will like him. He fits their scheme really well."

NT Kenrick Ellis (third round): "There are so many things you have to deal with. He had the off-the-field incidents at South Carolina (positive drug tests) and now he's got the pending assault. Obviously, that isn't good. We interviewed him. He's not a bad kid, just very, very misguided. He's a good player. If you want to like him, there's enough to like, but you have to worry about the other stuff."

Powell: "He's very average. He's a big, power guy. He's a good tackle-box runner. I was so-so on the kid. If you have a need, you take him. If you don't, he's not a guy that makes you say, 'Wow.'"

McKnight: "I'm surprised they drafted him. They could've gotten him as a free agent. Everybody knows he's close with Sanchez, so we all figured, 'He's going to the Jets.'"

BOOK HIM: Because of the lockout, only one Jets rookie received a playbook -- Wilkerson. Rex Ryan, speaking Tuesday at a book signing, said he gave Wilkerson a playbook to take home when he visited the Jets' facility last Friday, according to The Star-Ledger of Newark. Ryan said he wasn't able to talk to the other draft picks, but the three attending "Jets West" are learning from material prepared by Sanchez.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ng-with-smarts
    Whoever this personnel guy was, he actually gave quite the scathing evaluation of out draft.

Had Wilkerson right where we took him, so there actually wasn't any real value there. Possibly a slight reach. Says Kenrick Ellis is very talented, but his off the field issues are actually as big as his talent is.

Powell is a very average guy. If you have a need, take him. So no real value or talent steal there.

McKnight is a reach.

I don't know???? What I'm reading sounds like sharp criticism.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Dude View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Z 6 View Post
    pics!??!?!

There ya go....

Rookie

on the left

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Whoever this personnel guy was, he actually gave quite the scathing evaluation of out draft.

Had Wilkerson right where we took him, so there actually wasn't any real value there. Possibly a slight reach. Says Kenrick Ellis is very talented, but his off the field issues are actually as big as his talent is.

Powell is a very average guy. If you have a need, take him. So no real value or talent steal there.

McKnight is a reach.

I don't know???? What I'm reading sounds like sharp criticism.
    Yep. Basically, the person is saying our draft after the first two picks was as bad as many of us thought on paper. Hopefully, the players prove us wrong.