Thread: 1st casulaty of the lockout - Hall of fame game August 7th to be cancelled.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Post 1st casualty of the lockout - Hall of fame game August 7th cancelled.

And there will be more cancellations to come if these schmucks don't get their crap together.

Citing two sources, the Chicago Sun Times reports that the August 7 Hall of Fame exhibition opener between the Bears and Rams has already been cancelled.

The Sun Times' report says the Bears have already been informed and "word was out among key figures in the organization." Said one source, "They had to throw one (preseason game) away, and everybody knew it." A previous report from the Washington Post claimed that the NFL would have a full preseason. The league had not issued an official cancellation as of Friday night.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...me-is-canceled
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-16-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    For those asking about report of cancelled Hall of Fame Game, the NFL, via @gregaiello, says the report is not true. Game hasn't been nixed 18 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® Retweeted by 25 people

JasonLaCanfora
    Jason La Canfora

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    For those asking about report of cancelled Hall of Fame Game, the NFL, via @gregaiello, says the report is not true. Game hasn't been nixed 18 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® Retweeted by 25 people

JasonLaCanfora
    Jason La Canfora
    Time will tell, rotoworld is usually pretty good.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Time will tell, rotoworld is usually pretty good.
    Rotoworld is an aggregator. The report came from the Chicago Sun-Times.

Hall Of Fame
    good news if true

now if they have to cancel one of the two fake exhibition games at NMS that we STHs have to pay full price to not attend, that would be a really terrific "casualty" of this labor mess

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Honestly fellas its about the ahll of famers not the pre season game...imo. The game is the icing on a historic weekend but i rather see a nice ceremony than a half assed game that no one cares about. I rather see teams practice and get themselves in order than a game that just isnt going to be anything than an actual practice with game unis on.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I hope they lose the whole pre-season slate, it would serve them right. Friggin jackasses.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-16-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

There seems to be conflicting info now...

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello disputes a report from the Chicago Sun Times that the league has already canceled the Hall of Fame preseason game.

The HOF game, scheduled for August 7, is the preseason opener for the NFL. The Sun Times' report cited two sources, but seemed a bit shaky from the start. Profootballtalk's Mike Florio isn't buying it, and it's well known that commissioner Roger Goodell is interested in appearing on NBC before the exhibition opener to fulfill his "dream" of announcing to a national audience that football has been saved. The Sun Times' sources claimed that players simply haven't had enough organized activities to be prepared for an exhibition game so soon. In reality, the starters don't play more than a couple of series in the Hall of Fame game.

This is the same rebuttal that someone here posted from Laconfora's twitter account in the wee hours this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    good news if true

now if they have to cancel one of the two fake exhibition games at NMS that we STHs have to pay full price to not attend, that would be a really terrific "casualty" of this labor mess
    +1 hoping the lockout sticks around just long enough for that

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Wow, cancelation of a exhibition game that is a level down from usual exhibition games and doesn't include my team, I'm devastated.

As if I believe that the game will be eliminated if they settle this week as reported.

Veteran
    if the nfl holds out it will not recover for decades

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I hope they lose the whole pre-season slate, it would serve them right. Friggin jackasses.
    Relax...the CBA is basically done..It'll be approved by the owners Thursday and ratified by the players before then..

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    good news if true

+1. Not a STH myself, but the entire slate of pre-season games can go by the wayside for all I care. Teams can scrimmage other teams and get the same evaluations that are necessary without boring fans to death for the final 3 quarters. That's the great thing about adulthood, you develop a better filter for BS and there's more going on in your life that these crap-fests don't even register on the radar.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    +1. Not a STH myself, but the entire slate of pre-season games can go by the wayside for all I care. Teams can scrimmage other teams and get the same evaluations that are necessary without boring fans to death for the final 3 quarters. That's the great thing about adulthood, you develop a better filter for BS and there's more going on in your life that these crap-fests don't even register on the radar.
    I wouldn't call the final 3 quarters of a preseason game boring, I personally enjoy the positional battles and getting a look at our depth. I do think that they should stop charging full price to these games. Maybe 10-20 dollar admission instead would be fair. Sure the owners would lose money on STH packages but the goodwill gained with the fans would have a future monetary value as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Relax...the CBA is basically done..It'll be approved by the owners Thursday and ratified by the players before then..
    As the saying goes, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.